40% uber commission fee

xcnco

Wtf

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170911-114452.png
    Screenshot_20170911-114452.png
    28 KB · Views: 160

80sDude

That's why we need to create surge. Turn the app off.

Stop taking long trips at x rates.

Who's that one guy that posted he was doing 78mpg down the highway?

Idiot. At .20 a minute and .95 a mile?

Uber and the pax love you.

re101

Please people..... read your drivers contract that you agreed to. This topic has been posted to death on here! Smdh. You're pay has NOTHING at all to do with what the rider pays.
Of course IT IS relevant, the riders are getting over charged, these are published prices(the pricing is all over the internet). Riders do see the discrepancies, they blame the driver for the over charging. They will not tip if they believe they are over charged. Hence a direct impact on driver pay and integrity. So again it is relevant.

LoveTheBlues

Actually, it's .16 / .76 or .15/.71 (depending if you were "grandfathered from the old 80% plan or on the old 75% plan). But the .20 / .95 no longer exists since Uber doesn't charge pax based on time & miles anymore. And since Uber is effectively killing the surge (or at least reducing it dramatically through tech advancements like stacked rides, quests & boosts), the fight now is for an increase in drivers rates to a livable base and share some of the new found gains Uber is finding in up-front pricing.

Last edited:

chitown73

Of course IT IS relevant, the riders are getting over charged, these are published prices(the pricing is all over the internet). Riders do see the discrepancies, they blame the driver for the over charging. They will not tip if they believe they are over charged. Hence a direct impact on driver pay and integrity. So again it is relevant.
In some ways it may be relevant and I agree with most of the reasons you bring up but it's NOT relevant to the reasons brought up by the op, and that's what I was referring to.
And just like the drivers, pax have a choice of whether or not to use the service. I'm sure they also agreed to the upfront pricing when it was changed. They certainly agree to the price of their ride when they booked it. So.. while it may be unethical the way that Uber is going about pricing the rides and cutting the driver out of the increased fares. Every driver has accepted the "terms of service" and each has to make their own decision whether or not to drive.

WestSubDriver

I’ve griped about this too, but its about time to be over it. Uber pocketing $20+ on airport runs does chap my *** because I can’t help but think that it suppresses tips.

However, the reality is that where Uber taketh, it also giveth. Since they started their fare transparency about 3-4 months ago their “commission” on my trips has averaged 24.4%. They charge some trips a premium and subsidize others. Instead of taking from drivers they are really just spreading the fares across trips/riders. In my experience, they haven't raised aggregate fares. That guy going to ORD is just helping to subsidize numerous Pool riders getting cheap rides.

LoveTheBlues

I’ve griped about this too, but its about time to be over it. Uber pocketing $20+ on airport runs does chap my *** because I can’t help but think that it suppresses tips.

However, the reality is that where Uber taketh, it also giveth. Since they started their fare transparency about 3-4 months ago their “commission” on my trips has averaged 24.4%. They charge some trips a premium and subsidize others. Instead of taking from drivers they are really just spreading the fares across trips/riders. In my experience, they haven't raised aggregate fares. That guy going to ORD is just helping to subsidize numerous Pool riders getting cheap rides.
I agree (sort of). The issue isn't how much Uber charges or what % they take. If they need to rob pax A to pay pax B, that's up to them. The issue is that they are working on a pricing strategy that makes them profitable again. At the same time they are also perfecting technology designed to minimize surges which they believe to be bad for business if not controlled (I've discussed on previous threads but would repeat on request). With surges declining as a viable strategy to significantly increase driver income, drivers need to push for a more livable base rate. In a market where it can often take 20 minutes to drive a mile, .16 / .76 or .15/.71 is insufficient. With Taxi retail rates at about .45 / 2.25 (with a 50% surcharge for suburban trips), there is a lot of competitive room to increase driver rates. In that competitive landscape, would it kill them to actually pay drivers .20 / .95 (25% more)? Lyft would be forced to follow (or lose drivers) and they could still average 33% profit off us and stay 40% cheaper overall than cabs. Greater driver satisfaction leads to greater pax satisfaction and greater customer loyalty.

UberServant

Whilst some say, accurately, that drivers signed up for a set mileage, time and base rate, it is also true that we signed up with the knowledge that Uber would be taking a set percentage of the fare whether it be 20%, 25% or 28% depending on when you signed up. Most riders assume that the driver is receiving the majority of the fare that they are being charged, which gives them a very different perception of their driver. Some have been appalled when I told them that Uber is keeping 50% or more of many fares. Once again this is deceptive business practices by Uber.

DragginMyCouch DMC

I agree with all of you. Day 1 of 180 days of change, Uber announced they were going to charge pax's based on their willingness to pay. In other words. Charge them surge rates without them knowing and without the drivers being fairly compensated. The bad part is it never made the news media. So pax's think we are getting a piece of the cake that Uber is over charging them. And as drivers, we aren't even aware what their charges are. So pax's take it out on us. What Uber clearly said about Chicago. People riding into the loop from the north will be charged more than the south given a equal distance. I bring this up to riders and not 1 rider has been aware of this. On that day when Uber called it transparency was when the surge disappeared. Never to return to us drivers.

Last edited:

mahatma57

The point is that the base rate and ime/mileage are too low for drivers to make a good living. Perhaps Uber is doing this to ease riders into accepting higher rates, and then eventually they will raise the driver take. (slaps self..) Nah..

quesie

Give up on surge. There are too many drivers for ANY kind of reliable surge ever again.

Zap

The 'Service Fee' under 'Uber Receives' is actually the sum of what the driver paid Uber (shedule C commissions paid) + what Uber overcharged the pax. To figure out what the driver paid uber, just take the mileage driven x $0.24 (per mile) + travel time x $0.05 (per minute). Now, subtract that from the 'Service Fee' and the result is what the pax overpaid. To add insult to injury, prior to the 5/22 contract addendum, the driver was 'entitled' to 75% of the over-payment. Uber is taking 100% of the over-payment. Feel the love?

OK, so how does a driver get a piece of that action? By s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g out the ride. In Waze, choose the longest distance route. Doesn't cost the pax anything extra... just a little bit more of their time.

tursi72

Customer's are noticing the high price and either cancelling requests, not making requests as much or at all. I've seen a definite increase in people wanting to be dropped at the nearest blue line station instead of being taken to ORD.
They are more than likely looking at current travel times for the Kennedy....if its well over a hour the Blue line is faster and cheaper.

xcnco

$40.00 for some poor girl. Her BF didn't want to drive her to job because he had things to do. Her car broke down and she was stranded and needed to go to work. $41.00 for a 4.5 mile ride. :eek:I feel for the riders when they are getting F'd by Fuber. I know that we have zero rights basically that we have as contractors. ROFL that's been an understatement

But that's straight theft. They all believe that we make fare less 25%.

WestSubDriver

The 'Service Fee' under 'Uber Receives' is actually the sum of what the driver paid Uber (shedule C commissions paid) + what Uber overcharged the pax. To figure out what the driver paid uber, just take the mileage driven x $0.24 (per mile) + travel time x $0.05 (per minute). Now, subtract that from the 'Service Fee' and the result is what the pax overpaid. To add insult to injury, prior to the 5/22 contract addendum, the driver was 'entitled' to 75% of the over-payment. Uber is taking 100% of the over-payment. Feel the love?

OK, so how does a driver get a piece of that action? By s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g out the ride. In Waze, choose the longest distance route. Doesn't cost the pax anything extra... just a little bit more of their time.

Keep an eye on the Dulberg lawsuit which alleges that Uber was breaching the contract with drivers with upfront pricing. I think there is merit to the claim that they breached the contract with upfront pricing prior to the point that drivers accepted the agreement change. But, we all know that Uber will use its deep pockets to fight this all the way. It would be interesting if this gets to discovery to find out how much exactly they withheld from drivers.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...t-pricing-class-action-lawsuit-moves-forward/