4 hours online 4.50 cents

Youmadpax

hey guys new to the Pensacola area in regards to Uber. Moved from Maryland where the had promotions and if you drove surge and boost could make 150 in 6 hours. Here I literally got one ride in 4 hours. I went 9 mile, 9th av, downtown Pensacola, and Davis. Am I missing something? This is abysmal I wasted more than a quarter of a tank for four dollars? Any advice is much appreciated

Aw Jeez

It's true that the Pensacola market is not going to make anyone rich. Some days are good, some are bad. The one big problem with Pensacola is that it's mostly "revenue-out/deadhead-back." That just kills your revenue-per-mile.

We're saturated with drivers here. I've talked to some who claim to be making Big Money, but they do it driving for Lyft *and* Uber. Me, I only do Uber. I'm making about the same money as when I drove a taxi but working fewer hours/days.

Youmadpax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's true that the Pensacola market is not going to make anyone rich. Some days are good, some are bad. The one big problem with Pensacola is that it's mostly "revenue-out/deadhead-back." That just kills your revenue-per-mile.

We're saturated with drivers here. I've talked to some who claim to be making Big Money, but they do it driving for Lyft *and* Uber. Me, I only do Uber. I'm making about the same money as when I drove a taxi but working fewer hours/days.
Any tips you would mind sharing. It’s mind numbing to turn on the app and only get 1 ping every couple of hours.

Aw Jeez

Tips? I really haven't figured it out. One driver I talked to said he comes out at, like, four in the morning to get the pre-rush-hour crowd. Then he cuts off around midday. Said it's good for about $80 - $100. Me, I really don't want to get up that early.

You could work downtown on the weekends, but Uber cars come from miles around to tap into that market, so you have a lot of competition. And there's no queue. And again, it's "revenue-out / deadhead-back" - no way around that. And that limits the number of trips you can do between, say, 11:00 and 3:00 a.m. Me, I really don't want to stay up that late.

You could work the beach on the weekends, I guess, but passengers get in who are all sandy and are wearing wet bathing suits and make your seats smell like suntan lotion. Yuck. Whenever I get a trip to the beach, I turn off the app before I get another ping. I really don't want to be trapped out in that mess.

Looking at my numbers so far, I usually do around $500/wk working four days or so. Which is fine. I could bust my ass and make more, I guess, but I really don't want to work that hard.

zuluwarrior013

Tips? I really haven't figured it out. One driver I talked to said he comes out at, like, four in the morning to get the pre-rush-hour crowd. Then he cuts off around midday. Said it's good for about $80 - $100. Me, I really don't want to get up that early.

You could work downtown on the weekends, but Uber cars come from miles around to tap into that market, so you have a lot of competition. And there's no queue. And again, it's "revenue-out / deadhead-back" - no way around that. And that limits the number of trips you can do between, say, 11:00 and 3:00 a.m. Me, I really don't want to stay up that late.

You could work the beach on the weekends, I guess, but passengers get in who are all sandy and are wearing wet bathing suits and make your seats smell like suntan lotion. Yuck. Whenever I get a trip to the beach, I turn off the app before I get another ping. I really don't want to be trapped out in that mess.

Looking at my numbers so far, I usually do around $500/wk working four days or so. Which is fine. I could bust my ass and make more, I guess, but I really don't want to work that hard.
You absolutely crack me up with your blunt honesty about how you go about things!!!

Aw Jeez

Thanks, Zulu! But I mean...I don't to this strictly as a hobby - I need the money. But I'm fortunate that I don't depend on Uber for my full-time income. However, I sympathize with people who do. It's a tough gig to make a living at. The income is never absolutely predictable like it is with a conventional full-time job. So there's that worry and pressure.

As I said, I make between $2,000 and $2,500 per month without busting my ass too much. That's not great money. I know Uber friends who work harder than me...who make more than me...and who tell me stories of how beach passengers screw up their interiors and drunk passengers puke in their back seat. Meh - goes with the territory. And it's a territory I'd rather not explore. It comes down to, "How much money do I need Uber to generate for me?"

Right now there are a *LOT* of drivers in Pensacola, all competing for a share of the pie. I'm hoping that the pie is getting bigger and that there'll be a bigger piece for everyone. But if that's happening, it's surely happening slowly.

1.5xorbust

hey guys new to the Pensacola area in regards to Uber. Moved from Maryland where the had promotions and if you drove surge and boost could make 150 in 6 hours. Here I literally got one ride in 4 hours. I went 9 mile, 9th av, downtown Pensacola, and Davis. Am I missing something? This is abysmal I wasted more than a quarter of a tank for four dollars? Any advice is much appreciated
How do you make 4.50 cents?