• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

4 hour ride request - would you have taken it?

MiamiUberGuy5

I just got it at midnight. Fort Lauderdale to north of Tampa (spring hill Florida.)

Would you have accepted it? I even had $2 surge. I declined because I wasn't feeling a road trip but rethinking it, it wouldn't have been so bad I would have arrived at 4am and then I could have slept a bit at a rest stop to drive back:

288 mile, 4 hour drive:

time paid $31 ($0.13 per minute)
Distance paid $179 ($0.624 per mile)
Surge $30? (idk if it is would have adjusted to reflect the rider surge increase at the airport)

It looks like it would have paid me a total of $240. Did I do the math correct?

I'm sort of regretting not taking the ride if I did the math correct.

Last edited:

SFOspeedracer

I just got it at midnight. Fort Lauderdale to north of Tampa (spring hill Florida.)

Would you have accepted it? I even had $2 surge. I declined because I wasn't feeling a road trip but rethinking it, it wouldn't have been so bad I would have arrived at 4am and then I could have slept a bit at a rest stop to drive back:

288 mile, 4 hour drive:

time paid $31
Distance paid $179
Surge $30?

I should have taken it then slept in my car lo
I would not of done it, unless the rider payed me close to what they were actually being charged by Uber/Lyft. What is your per mile and per minute rate in your market? Was it a $2 surge or $30? Lol. I didn’t even know people could request rides for that long

MiamiUberGuy5

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would not of done it, unless the rider payed me close to what they were actually being charged by Uber/Lyft. What is your per mile and per minute rate in your market? Was it a $2 surge or $30? Lol. I didn’t even know people could request rides for that long
I'm in miami

($0.13 per minute)
($0.624 per mile)

It was $2 flat surge but I thought it might adjust with the distance? Idk how adjusted surge works. I guess it would have depended on the rider surge

Its funny cuz the uber app only warned me that it was "60+ minutes", but I was confused because at midnight I can get to west palm or the keys in just under 60 minutes so I was very curious where it was going.

pizzaladee

I'm in miami

($0.13 per minute)
($0.624 per mile)

It was $2 flat surge but I thought it might adjust with the distance? Idk how adjusted surge works. I guess it would have depended on the rider surge
It depends if you had the two dollars sticky surge, or if the passenger requested from the two dollar surge zone. If you just carried it from elsewhere, then no, it would not have increased.

SFOspeedracer

I'm in miami

($0.13 per minute)
($0.624 per mile)

Its funny cuz the uber app only warned me that it was 60 minutes, but I was confused because at midnight I can get to west palm or the keys in just under 60 minutes so I was very curious where it was going.
Not a chance I would of taken it

VictorD

8 hours and 575 miles of driving for $210 (I don't know from where you got that $30 surge) and you're really not sure whether or not you should have taken it?

Seriously, if you aren't able to determine that this trip would have been a loss for you just on first sight, do yourself a favor and get out now before you do, in deed, suffer very real and great financial loss doing this gig.

SFOspeedracer

I'm in miami

($0.13 per minute)
($0.624 per mile)

Its funny cuz the uber app only warned me that it was "60+ minutes", but I was confused because at midnight I can get to west palm or the keys in just under 60 minutes so I was very curious where it was going.
That’s their max warning as far as I know. 60+ minutes. Which is insane, there should be another warning for more than 3 hours

MiamiUberGuy5

You did the right thing not taking it. You’d probably be tired, annoyed, and not have any energy to drive back, resulting in either an uncomfortable rest or money spent on a hotepossibly, which would of chipped away at the little Uber passed on to you
Thanks. I never slept at a rest stops on the Florida turnpike but they seem grimy with drug dealers and prostitution, and cars in general for me are hard to sleep in, so I think I would have needed some sort of accommodation like a hotel

On the other hand the Miami market is really dry and cut throat in the summer so the $200 ride would have been a nice little boost for the week. That's the only justification I can have for it. I know A lot of other Miami drivers don't make much in summer

MiamiUberGuy5

8 hours and 575 miles of driving for $210 (I don't know from where you got that $30 surge) and you're really not sure whether or not you should have taken it?

Seriously, if you aren't able to determine that this trip would have been a loss for you just on first sight, do yourself a favor and get out now before you do, in deed, suffer very real and great financial loss doing this gig.
8 hours for 210 is $26 per hour. That's double what most Miami uber drivers make on a good summer day. So why is that bad? The miles are meaningless to me because I'm in a rental car. You're right about the surge though, I May be wrong. sometimes when I get a ride from airport with surge , it'll adjust for the "rider surge increase." so I assumed this would adjust

Last edited:

VictorD

8 hours for 210 is $26 per hour. That's double what most Miami uber drivers make on a good summer day. So why is that bad? The miles are meaningless to me because I'm in a rental car. You're right about the surge though, I May be wrong. sometimes when I get a ride from airport with surge , it'll adjust for the "rider surge increase." so I assumed this would adjust
No, it isn't. Not when you're burning over 20 gallons of fuel @ $2.40-2.50/gal. in the process. You can deduct another $50 from that. Then, assuming you take the economic route down the Gulf Coast to Naples and then across I75 you have another $7 in unreimbursed return tolls. So, now that great $210 is down to a measly $150.

Still think that's a good ride?

SFOspeedracer

Thanks. I never slept at a rest stops on the Florida turnpike but they seem grimy with drug dealers and prostitution, and cars in general for me are hard to sleep in, so I think I would have needed some sort of accommodation like a hotel

On the other hand the Miami market is really dry and cut throat in the summer so the $200 ride would have been a nice little boost for the week. That's the only justification I can have for it. I know A lot of other Miami drivers don't make much in summer
I get what you mean .. but you did your body and your car a favor in the end lol ..

the rates now just don’t make something like that worth it, unless bypassed with your own way of authorizing/accepting a payment with no cut. I’ve never driven that long a distance for Uber or Lyft but I know for personal trips or other business trips within the state I almost always had to negotiate with myself getting a hotel. you just never realize how hard highway daze and attention on the road that long makes you super drowsy until you reach the destination

25rides7daysaweek

288 mile, 4 hour drive:

time paid $31 ($0.13 per minute)
Distance paid $179 ($0.624 per mile)
Surge $30? (idk if it is would have adjusted to reflect the rider surge increase at the airport)

I'm sort of regretting not taking the ride if I did the math correct.
Cash return payment needs to be negotiated on a trip like that. You would have driven over 500 miles. You should be thinking all the gas and $20 an hour...