3% TNC CHARGE ?

Thunder Road

Maybe I am just now reading about the " Passenger Transportation Tax", but it appears it is a monthly tax due to the State of Nevada for 3% of all fares......

Passenger Transportation Tax Return
A 3% excise tax on total fares charged by taxicabs, common motor carriers and transportation network companies. This return is effective August 28, 2015 for taxicabs and common motor carries of passengers, and is due monthly. For transportation network companies, the tax is effective the date they are licensed by the NTA and accept their first fare.

No one has mentioned this to me before. I need your comments and insight as to if you are paying this tax or not. If not, why not?

Just what I need, another 3% fee !! Comments?

usnftc

Maybe I am just now reading about the " Passenger Transportation Tax", but it appears it is a monthly tax due to the State of Nevada for 3% of all fares......

A 3% excise tax on total fares charged by taxicabs, common motor carriers and transportation network companies. This return is effective August 28, 2015 for taxicabs and common motor carries of passengers, and is due monthly. For transportation network companies, the tax is effective the date they are licensed by the NTA and accept their first fare.

No one has mentioned this to me before. I need your comments and insight as to if you are paying this tax or not. If not, why not?

Don't get all worked up. The pax pays this on top of the fare. It doesn't come out of your commission.

NowWeAllBroke

The 3% tax was an Uber idea to help get State approval to operate in Nevada. I seriously doubt the monies will ever be used for the intended purpose.

BTW on the vast majority of cash-paying cab rides we taxi drivers pay this tax out of our tips..... Just another $6-10/day we are losing thanks to Uber.

mweiss10

Uber charges the pax for this and pays it I am 99% sure of this!!!

Uber Steve LV

BTW on the vast majority of cash-paying cab rides we taxi drivers pay this tax out of our tips..... Just another $6-10/day we are losing thanks to Uber.
You're Welcome!
Now instead of looking to Uber, why don't you look at your boss? $3 CC fee, rates of $2.40/mile $1.12/minute. You guys are screwing yourselves. All this rate increase came right before Uber came, it was your concession to quit crying. Now your industry is losing millions of $$$$$$ a month. Lower your rates and be competitive, according to Uber it will result in more fares and less down time so you'll actually make more!

LVegas

As you can see, $20.22+$3(.03)=.70

image.jpeg

http://taxi.nv.gov/Rider-Info/
image.png

The 3% tax was an Uber idea to help get State approval to operate in Nevada. I seriously doubt the monies will ever be used for the intended purpose.

FYI and correction for that matter, the 3% excise tax is coming out of the riders pocket and NOT the driver's tip.

Azazel

No he means if the ride was 7 it now becomes 7.21 the passenger so if he gives you cash you lost 21 cents as far as the 3cc it is put by the TA

LVegas

They'll usually just hand out $15 most of the time and the driver keeps the change, that's over 30% tip. Let's say he ask back a buck or two, it's still over 20% tip, it's still fair, IMO. At the end of the day, it'll all even out.