3 oil changes for 49 dollars

Kevin7889

As uber and lyft drivers we all need to save money. I can't post the link because I'm not allowed to. I guess trying to help others is a bad thing ? Search groupon for an oil change place in lyndhurst. I think it's called tja. They have a special on oil changes! 3 oil changes for 49 dollars. That's less than 17 dollars per oil change

Last edited:

Slim Pete

if you're driving for Uber, you really should be changing your own oil. Not just will you save money, you also can use the best quality oil and filter (Mobil 1) and still pay less than the shop. It is really easy.

When you go to the shop, they are more than likely to use the cheapest quality oil, and try to sell you other services you don't really need, AND if they find nothing wrong with your car, there is a distinct possibility they could deliberately do some damage, so you'd be back a few weeks later, for another billable service.

The first two or three times you change your oil, it is bound to be messy. but once you get the hang of it, it will be child's play. Of course, when I say child's play, I'm assuming you have the right tools. Example, a really tight oil pan drain bolt can be impossible to remove with a regular ratchet, but it would be a breeze to take out with a breaker bar. OR an oil filter located deep in the engine bay may be too hard to remove with an oil filter plier, but super easy to take out with an oil filter socket.

After the first two or three times, changing your own oil will take you less time than driving to the shop to get it done.

Kevin7889

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm not risking anything. My car needs to make me money

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I call bull on changing your oil will save you money. Some places will change your oil for $20-$25 with a coupon. There is no way you're beating that or at the very least, it's a push.

Kevin7889

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would I lie? Just search for them. They have great reviews on groupon. I don't need to go there yet because my car is under a VIP maintenance plan from Nissan. I have no need to lie especially if I get nothing out of it

Slim Pete

I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm not risking anything. My car needs to make me money
I call bull on changing your oil will save you money. Some places will change your oil for $20-$25 with a coupon. There is no way you're beating that or at the very least, it's a push.
care to advise what quality oil and filter they are using, at that low low price? or even if the are going to bother to change the filter at that price?
shops aren't doing charity, you know.

at that low price, they are either using crap quality oil which will cause even more problems down the line, or they are using the oil change as a loss leader to upsell other services, whether it is needed or not.

even with economies of scale by buying oil in bulk, there is no way any shop will provide top quality synthetic oil and filter replacement for 20-25 bucks.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

At Advance Auto Parts, you can get full synthetic and a filter for about 35 bucks out the door. Nothing else. You're in charge of clean up, you have to come back to dispose of the old oil, etc.

Ford Dealer works package: $45 bucks out the door, with a $10 rebate. You get synthetic blend BUT you get a tire rotation too. They take care of everything.

My dealer does a full Mobil 1 synthetic change for $35 (with coupon) and wash the car. Granted, I can't just walk in but it only takes an hour and I don't have to worry about a thing.

So yeah, it's a push.

UberSchmuber

With the amount of driving I do, my car TORCHES crappy Quickie Lube oils, unless I spring for their $68 synthetic oil change.
I got 5 quarts of Royal Purple (arguably the best) and a top Fram filter for $35 and do it myself. The oil is better and lasts longer, i.e. less down time = more $$

MaximusMurkimus

I know how to change my own oil after seeing my father do it for many years, but even he went to the oil change shop when he didn't have the luxury of spending the day doing so, and even when it was quick he wasn't quite sure of a reliable method to transport and dispose oil, so it just gathered up in reserves.

I follow the same logic. An oil change kit at AutoZone is $20-22. For $28 I can get a proper oil change, fluids topped, and a free car wash, all beneficial to me. They've constantly tried to sell me transmission but I still have another 5K or so before that happens, but otherwise I'm out in less than 20 minutes

Not saying that changing your own oil has its benefits, just that I don't see how being an Uber driver has anything to do with them.

Slim Pete

Not saying that changing your own oil has its benefits, just that I don't see how being an Uber driver has anything to do with them.
Meant that as an Uber driver, you'll be putting so many more miles on the car, that you'll be changing oil more often, and it will save time and money to do it yourself than go to the shop.

After you gain experience doing it 4 or 5 times, it then won't take you more than 12-14 minutes start to finish to change your own oil. That's probably less time than it will take you to drive to the shop.

MaximusMurkimus

Eh, if you're changing it yourself you might as well let as much used oil drip as possible, so closer to 45 minutes to an hour for me.

Plus there's the never fun task of wheeling it up the ramps just right.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

Eh, if you're changing it yourself you might as well let as much used oil drip as possible, so closer to 45 minutes to an hour for me.

Plus there's the never fun task of wheeling it up the ramps just right.
Exactly this. I'm a tall guy, and I hate tight spaces to begin with.

When it's all said and done, it's a matter of personal preference, but you're not really saving tons and tons of money by changing the oil yourself. But I also want to stop with this line of thinking that you're "less of a man" if you don't change your oil. I know how to change my oil, I just don't want to do it.