3 car accident!

TJ_1986

So I was getting off Spadina on Gardiner! Mine was the first car and a guy ended up rear ending me coz d lady in d third car rear ended him!

The cops are here! The damage to my car is probably $100 bucks! Just a few scratches on the bumper!

The cop says we all need to go to the Collision center!

Do I need to report this to Uber? I'm sure if I do they'll end up putting my account off.

Advise would be appreciated!

TJ_1986

MUGATS The damage is hardly couple of scratches!

When you say go to the reporting? What do u mean?

I'm sorry for the questions, it's my first accident since I've moved to Canada so I rather ask den repent later! Thanks though!

Also, can I continue doing Uber for the night? I don't want Uber to come back to me stating ur car was in an accident and u continued with Uber without informing us.

I wasn't even online when this happened

Andy3131

When you go to reporting, your insurance will get notified, there will be no deductible (you are 0% liable) but it will affect your insurance file for years.

TJ_1986

How would it affect my file since I'm not even at fault? The damage is lower than my deductible.

Do I need to let Uber know? Coz I plan to drive tomorrow and d weekend.

MrAbduz

Do go to collision center. Get the report, exchange insurance, drivers license, car make and model from everyone involved in the accident.

If you didn't have passengers in the car or if you did and they are not hurt, DO NOT report it to Uber. They will put your account on hold until you fix the damage.

Since this is nor your fault, your deductible will be zero, and no it will not affect your insurance unless you're at fault accident.

Malik1

So I was getting off Spadina on Gardiner! Mine was the first car and a guy ended up rear ending me coz d lady in d third car rear ended him!

The cops are here! The damage to my car is probably $100 bucks! Just a few scratches on the bumper!

The cop says we all need to go to the Collision center!

Do I need to report this to Uber? I'm sure if I do they'll end up putting my account off.

Advise would be appreciated!

I hit a coyote last year on highway. Cop told me to go to collision centre. I went there and told them that I have third party coverage and I don't want to claim anything from my insurance. The person at collision centre told me if you don't want to go to insurance then better don't report. If I remember correctly, if we have $2000 damage then we have to report. My mechanic told me it would cost me $1700 for repairs. I did not report as it would go on the record.

If you are not claiming any thing from insurance I would not report. I hope that you don't have any whiplash injury.

Andy3131

Do go to collision center. Get the report, exchange insurance, drivers license, car make and model from everyone involved in the accident.

If you didn't have passengers in the car or if you did and they are not hurt, DO NOT report it to Uber. They will put your account on hold until you fix the damage.

Since this is nor your fault, your deductible will be zero, and no it will not affect your insurance unless you're at fault accident.

I am talking as an ex-home & auto insurance broker:
It won't affect your pricing but will stay on file, if you have another or two more non liable accidents, you might end up with non-renewal simply because there is a direct compensation rule in Ontario stating that your insurer is the one paying your damages, doesn't matter if you are liable or not. If you are invloved in too many accidents, even not liable ones, they will kick you out because you cost them more money than the premium you pay.

MrAbduz

I am talking as an ex-home & auto insurance broker:
It won't affect your pricing but will stay on file, if you have another or two more non liable accidents, you might end up with non-renewal simply because there is a direct compensation rule in Ontario stating that your insurer is the one paying your damages, doesn't matter if you are liable or not. If you are invloved in too many accidents, even not liable ones, they will kick you out because you cost them more money than the premium you pay.
Lol well I guess the drivers are f**ked sideways no matter what. Insurance companies and policies are the biggest scum in Canada.

Andy3131

I hit a coyote last year on highway. Cop told me to go to collision centre. I went there and told them that I have third party coverage and I don't want to claim anything from my insurance. The person at collision centre told me if you don't want to go to insurance then better don't report. If I remember correctly, if we have $2000 damage then we have to report. My mechanic told me it would cost me $1700 for repairs. I did not report as it would go on the record.

If you are not claiming any thing from insurance I would not report. I hope that you don't have any whiplash injury.
If the total damage to all vehicles is above $2,000, all drivers should report by law.

dmoney155

Lol well I guess the drivers are f**ked sideways no matter what. Insurance companies and policies are the biggest scum in Canada.

Yep, way I see it, keep paying premiums and dont report anything. That's the way they like it, that's the way I like it lol.

Andy3131

Biggest scum? They lose money on auto insurance, read their financials, they are public. The market is very competitive and over regulated, no money to make on auto insurance. Only reason your premiums are ao high is due to all the fraud.

Simple question:

Would you take $2,000 a year from a guy and promise him to pay damages to his car when he will have an accident knowing he had 3 accidents in the last 3 years totalling $25,000 in damages? I am pretty sure you will walk away from the deal. Why would an insurance company sign the deal?

Mr. Wakko

The third car insurance will pay for tje damages caused to the other two. Don't waste your time contacting uber. Get the report from the collision centre and contact your insurance. They will deal with other car insurance. If your insurance have an appraisal centre, even better. They will make arragements for a rental car and will advise about their affiliated auto body shops.
It's not mandatory to you to stick with their recommendations but it would speed up the repairs.
When you get the rental, do the inspection, go to green hub and add a second vehicle. If they ask why you have a rental, just say you had mechanical problems.
I'm suggesting that because it happened to me and the whole process went smoothly.

Andy3131

The third car insurance will pay for tje damages caused to the other two. Don't waste your time contacting uber. Get the report from the collision centre and contact your insurance. They will deal with other car insurance. If your insurance have an appraisal centre, even better. They will make arragements for a rental car and will advise about their affiliated auto body shops.
It's not mandatory to you to stick with their recommendations but it would speed up the repairs.
When you get the rental, do the inspection, go to green hub and add a second vehicle. If they ask why you have a rental, just say you had mechanical problems.
I'm suggesting that because it happened to me and the whole process went smoothly.
Fake news. This is not true. Other person's insurance will not pay for his car. Direct compensation rule states that every insurer pays for his own client:

https://algomafinancialgroup.com/what-is-direct-compensation/

Mr. Wakko

Andy3131

Andy, I'm with Wawanesa since Feb 2011 and I have been in an accident. After speaking with my broker, D.L. Deelks, I was advised that the policy holder found at fault would be liable to pay for everything.
Your broker is wrong Or didn't want to spend time explaining you how it works. Only reason direct compensation would not apply is if the other guy doesn't have insurance or if the accident happens in another province. Who did the cheque come from for your claim? Wawanessa or the other guy's insurer?

Direct compensatipn states that there is no deductible to pay for the party found non liable, maybe this is what he meant but payment will allways come from your own insurer.

This rule has been made to avoid insurers fighting each other in courts to deny liability and avoid paying claims while saturating the courts with their several cases where they will try to prove their client was not liable. Insurance would cost even more if it would work like this.

Mr. Wakko

Your broker is wrong Or didn't want to spend time explaining you how it works. Only reason direct compensation would not apply is if the other guy doesn't have insurance or if the accident happens in another province. Who did the cheque come from for your claim? Wawanessa or the other guy's insurer?

Direct compensatipn states that there is no deductible to pay for the party found non liable, maybe this is what he meant but payment will allways come from your own insurer.

This rule has been made to avoid insurers fighting each other in courts to deny liability and avoid paying claims while saturating the courts with their several cases where they will try to prove their client was not liable. Insurance would cost even more if it would work like this.
Well, I never received a cheque from my insurance because I left my car in one of their concierge centre. Everything was paid directly to the shop.
In regards to my conversation, it started because the body shop left a copy of the services in my car (almost $3000).
So, I called my broker to find out about any increases on my premium.
As I was kind of mad with the other driver, I asked if his insurance paid for everything and then, she commented with these exactly words; "DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF. VERY SOON THE OTHER INSURANCE WILL PAY FOR EVERYTHING"
I'm not saying that your link is fake like you did to my experience or even calling you a lier.
I'm just trying to give some peace of mind to the op based in my own experience.
At the end, who cares who's paying for? As long the damage is being paid for others and one single dime is not leaving my pocket, I'm happy with it.
Btw, since 2011 my premium goes down 10-20 bucks monthly.
I started paying 151 monthly and now I'm paying 94 for full insurance, 1 million liability, rental and 500 deductible.

Last edited:

MUGATS

I'm of the opinion that going to the reporting centre provides some sort of documentation of the incident and covers your ass in case something goes sideways.

I had an incident where a woman sideswiped me. 100% her fault. I went to the reporting centre immediately. Cops didn't come, and told me to go because the car was driveable.

No big deal right? Nope. Just before the 2 years were up, I get served with a lawsuit accusing me if being impaired/and or on drugs. I was named, my company was named along with the fleet company. $500,000. It was quickly dismissed because I reported to the accident reporting centre immediately and it was clear an intoxicated person wouldn't do this. Plus there were no notes from the reporting officer that indicted that I might be impaired.

Well, I never received a cheque from my insurance because I left my car in one of their concierge centre. Everything was paid directly to the shop.
In regards to my conversation, it started because the body shop left a copy of the services in my car (almost $3000).
So, I called my broker to find out about any increases on my premium.
As I was kind of mad with the other driver, I asked if his insurance paid for everything and then, she commented with these exactly words; "DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF. VERY SOON THE OTHER INSURANCE WILL PAY FOR EVERYTHING"
I'm not say that your link is fake like you did to my experience or even calling you a lier.
I'm just trying to give some peace of mind to the op based in my own experience.
At the end, who cares who's paying for? As long the damage is being paid for others and one single dime is not leaving my pocket, I'm happy with it.
Btw, since 2011 my premium goes down 10-20 bucks monthly.
I started paying 151 monthly and now I'm paying 94 for full insurance, 1 million liability, rental and 500 deductible.

You should bump that to $2mm liability. My FIL is a personal injury lawyer and he says that $1mm isn't enough these days. It doesn't cost that much more.

Mr. Wakko

I'm of the opinion that going to the reporting centre provides some sort of documentation of the incident and covers your ass in case something goes sideways.

I had an incident where a woman sideswiped me. 100% her fault. I went to the reporting centre immediately. Cops didn't come, and told me to go because the car was driveable.

No big deal right? Nope. Just before the 2 years were up, I get served with a lawsuit accusing me if being impaired/and or on drugs. I was named, my company was named along with the fleet company. $500,000. It was quickly dismissed because I reported to the accident reporting centre immediately and it was clear an intoxicated person wouldn't do this. Plus there were no notes from the reporting officer that indicted that I might be impaired.

You should bump that to $2mm liability. My FIL is a personal injury lawyer and he says that $1mm isn't enough these days. It doesn't cost that much more.
Thank you Mugats. I'll be in touch with my broker inquiring about this.