• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

2nd time this has happened

Mista T

Author
Get a ping for 810 nw 6th. Map shows Roseland, but the address is the train station.

The first time I figured it was just a fluke. But it happened again tonight.

Attachments

Last edited:

MedicMan

Get a ping for 810 nw 6th. Map shows Roseland, but the address is the train station.

The first time I figured it was just a fluke. But it happened again tonight.
If people order a ride inside a building then it is anyones guess as to where the pickup will be. Some buildings that have lots of steel or rebar act as a Faraday cage and can really mess up radio signals. I have found this to be true in many places in the city. Even outside with the tall buildings it can mess things up.

It would be good to check with the pax to see where they ordered the ride to see if that is the issue.

Then again Uber could have messed up the whole thing in their GIS department.

Daisey77

At our Airport, when we are dropping PAX off at the terminal, the app says we're still 10 minutes away from the drop off spot. Uber is literally directing us to drive through the fields and onto the tarmac!

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has been happening more lately with the new app. I understand the occasional GPS mis location, like a block or 2 off, and dismiss that.

A week ago I was sent to pick up someone from the AC hotel.... on 5th. He was very happy I was a local and knew it was on 3rd, and right where to go.

The airport one sounds majorly annoying, Daisey77.

Daisey77

It has been happening more lately with the new app. I understand the occasional GPS mis location, like a block or 2 off, and dismiss that.

A week ago I was sent to pick up someone from the AC hotel.... on 5th. He was very happy I was a local and knew it was on 3rd, and right where to go.

The airport one sounds majorly annoying, Daisey77.
Luckily everyone knows how to get to the airport or at least they should. If they don't, they should not be driving Uber LOL the way our airport is set up, it's outside of town and there's only really one main road for the last 10 miles. so as long as I can get to that road , you're good. We did have one driver who actually followed Uber's in app navigation and it led them on dirt farm fields to one of the back entrances which has armed security guards LMAO the passenger was not happy

I tested in Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Uber, and Lyft. All the apps placed the address in the incorrect location.

The issues was reported and has been fixed in Google Maps and the fix has been propagated to Uber and Lyft. Apple Maps and Waze still show the address in the incorrect location.

Nerka

If the Pax are off by a lot I let them know it is not their fault (Some feel guilty) and remind them they can input the actual name of the location for it to be more exact. I am at 4.9 so they don't hold it too much against me. Uber and Lyft should be telling the pax this. Also, they should always carefully review the pickup location before ordering. Of course doesn't help if they are drunk as a skunk.

MedicMan

If the Pax are off by a lot I let them know it is not their fault (Some feel guilty) and remind them they can input the actual name of the location for it to be more exact. I am at 4.9 so they don't hold it too much against me. Uber and Lyft should be telling the pax this. Also, they should always carefully review the pickup location before ordering. Of course doesn't help if they are drunk as a skunk.
I also point out that the app showed them a block from where they actually were. I explain that it isn't their fault and blame the app (both Lyft and Uber). As I already mentioned some building and some homes are not conducive to accurate coordinates.

Daisey77

I always show them what's coming up on the app, as far as their pickup address, if it's wrong. Be careful though during High surge times. They've learned to order from a couple blocks away where the surge is less. You can usually tell because they're nowhere to be found once you arrive and closer to the end of the five minute window, they tend to call and act really confused why they don't see you. Then ask where you're at. That's followed with, I don't know what happened but I'm actually over here...

In these cases I tend to say you have 1 minute and 20 seconds to get to the car or else you have a $5 no show fee LOL

Luckily everyone knows how to get to the airport or at least they should. If they don't, they should not be driving Uber LOL the way our airport is set up, it's outside of town and there's only really one main road for the last 10 miles. so as long as I can get to that road , you're good. We did have one driver who actually followed Uber's in app navigation and it led them on dirt farm fields to one of the back entrances which has armed security guards LMAO the passenger was not happy
This isn't true in the slightest. There are like 5 ways to the airport, all of which are better at traffic times. If you take 84 you're wrong! Go I-5N - Broadway - 15th- right on siskiyou - left in 32nd - right on Fremont - left on 33rd - right before the traffic at the park - go straight across Prescott - turn right to go to 42nd - then left on 42nd - stay straight until you come to alderwood - left on alderwood - then you'll be on 82nd. this way saves 20-30 minutes depending on where you're at. I can do bull mountain - PDX in 50 minutes any day any time.

Over/Uber

This isn't true in the slightest. There are like 5 ways to the airport, all of which are better at traffic times. If you take 84 you're wrong! Go I-5N - Broadway - 15th- right on siskiyou - left in 32nd - right on Fremont - left on 33rd - right before the traffic at the park - go straight across Prescott - turn right to go to 42nd - then left on 42nd - stay straight until you come to alderwood - left on alderwood - then you'll be on 82nd. this way saves 20-30 minutes depending on where you're at. I can do bull mountain - PDX in 50 minutes any day any time.
Daisey is in Denver, not PDX.

911 Guy

I tested in Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Uber, and Lyft. All the apps placed the address in the incorrect location.

The issues was reported and has been fixed in Google Maps and the fix has been propagated to Uber and Lyft. Apple Maps and Waze still show the address in the incorrect location.
Indoor requests tend to be inaccurate because the A-GPS location usually isn't available because of the lack of satellite visibility so the location defaults. It should get better next year when the industry integrates a new National / all carrier DB which will finally incorporate WIFI and Bluetooth data.

Daisey77

Daisey is in Denver, not PDX.
Oh yeah . . . sorry forgot to do the Daisey Denver Disclaimer. :oopsies:

Indoor requests tend to be inaccurate because the A-GPS location usually isn't available because of the lack of satellite visibility so the location defaults. It should get better next year when the industry integrates a new National / all carrier DB which will finally incorporate WIFI and Bluetooth data.
This has nothing to do with GPS or A-GPS, just a misplaced address. Type it in and you'll see.

810 NW 6th Ave
Portland, OR 97209
United States

Try with Google, Apple, Bing, Waze, etc.

Daisey77

I'm sorry to hear that, I've heard from A LOT of pax that Denver has dumber/slower drivers than Portland.
No need to apologize. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of where I'm from. I'm sure we do have a lot of dumb drivers. there's a lot of dumb people in the world in general but according to my ratling of 4.96, my passengers don't have a problem with me

Last edited: