2nd day thoughts - Lyft

Started driving with Lyft because I wanted to see passenger names and ratings. Breaking my teeth on Uber, the chat-roulette of confined spaces, seemed like a bad idea.

1. My acceptance rate is 70% because I panic-canceled a lot. I foolishly wound up in the Bermuda triangle of Wacker Dr. and didn't go offline. I read about this place. I never wanted to go there.

I accepted many and found one.

2. E South Water Street -- the guy was at Trump Tower. Wtf? I saw his text after I panic-canceled.

3. I thought you had to be in a queue to accept rides from the airport. Took a friendly couple to Midway and then kept getting pings to pickup passengers. Couldn't figure out where to pick them up. Middle lane of arrivals which is also departures? Got yelled at by some hardcore Midway ladies. Canceled and sped away.

4. A lot of early 20s rich pax talk about their rich friend's parent's being the owners of big companies.

5. PDB seems like some real bullshit. Your performance bonus is based on the social behavior of Lyft's customers. You can't do x-amount of rides if you don't get x-amount of requests, doesn't mean you weren't out there trying.

6. GPS timer is a damn lie. If I'm sitting in traffic on I/90 then I'm not 6 minutes from you, I'm probably 12-15.

7. I couldn't get Waze to reroute me around a road that was closed for labor day in a neighborhood I wasn't familiar with right off the highway. Shayna has canceled! Sorry Shayna. Maybe you should just walk, Shayna.

8. A guy with a 4.7 rating was indeed condescending towards me. But he did tip me $5.00. Perhaps out of pity.

9. Tolls. I got 75 cents from Lyft for a 1.50 toll. I I-pass panicked and then paid the $2.37 fee online after I ran it. Confusing.

Attachments

• wackerdrive.JPG
    wackerdrive.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

ParrotFish

Started driving with Lyft because I wanted to see passenger names and ratings. Breaking my teeth on Uber, the chat-roulette of confined spaces, seemed like a bad idea.

1. My acceptance rate is 70% because I panic-canceled a lot. I foolishly wound up in the Bermuda triangle of Wacker Dr. and didn't go offline. I read about this place. I never wanted to go there.

2. E South Water Street -- the guy was at Trump Tower. Wtf? I saw his text after I panic-canceled.

3. I thought you had to be in a queue to accept rides from the airport. Took a friendly couple to Midway and then kept getting pings to pickup passengers. Couldn't figure out where to pick them up. Middle lane of arrivals which is also departures? Got yelled at by some hardcore Midway ladies. Canceled and sped away.

4. A lot of early 20s rich pax talk about their rich friend's parent's being the owners of big companies.

5. PDB seems like some real bullshit. Your performance bonus is based on the social behavior of Lyft's customers. You can't do x-amount of rides if you don't get x-amount of requests, doesn't mean you weren't out there trying.

6. GPS timer is a damn lie. If I'm sitting in traffic on I/90 then I'm not 6 minutes from you, I'm probably 12-15.

7. I couldn't get Waze to reroute me around a road that was closed for labor day in a neighborhood I wasn't familiar with right off the highway. Shayna has canceled! Sorry Shayna. Maybe you should just walk, Shayna.

8. A guy with a 4.7 rating was indeed condescending towards me. But he did tip me $5.00. Perhaps out of pity.

9. Tolls. I got 75 cents from Lyft for a 1.50 toll. I I-pass panicked and then paid the $2.37 fee online after I ran it. Confusing.
Stop panicking. Go out when it's slow to get the hang of it. During the week evenings say 8-12 is good. Less traffic less pressure.

Ditka'sSweaterVest

Stop panicking. Go out when it's slow to get the hang of it. During the week evenings say 8-12 is good. Less traffic less pressure.
Agreed. This sounds like an accident in the making. Stay out of the city until you are comfortable. Start in the west/northwest/or north burbs after 9am weekdays until you get the hang of it. The cost of repairs will easily outweigh earnings if you are flailing with your GPS downtown.

leroy jenkins

Not being mean. unless you're using 'panic' ironically, you should outside the core area until you get a hang of everything.

ParrotFish

Sundays you see what are probably spouses out ubering downtown. They are like deer in headlights, jamming up the place not knowing where to go. I think yesterday was the busiest I've seen downtown, millennium pk area was crazy with pedestrians.

lakersfan1

For Lyft, go to the staging lots at each airport and and some nice mannered looking person with a glowing Lyft bar in their wind shield how to do pick ups and drop offs. That light bar means they got at least 200 rides under their belt.

Could probably help with alot of questions you dont know you have. Like if picking up at airports, you will be dropping off at Michigan ave hotels. But only maybe two hotels on Michigan have a drop off point on Michigan Ave. GPS isn't going to save you.

xcnco

Rofl, Lyft shows (for the most part) where pax is relative to the ride requested. Sounds like you need to brush up on your navigation skills. Especially with the one ways and how to get off and on LSD.

Don't use waze. Its good at pointing out red light came, cops, but isn't that great navigation wise. Like previous posters, drive at night to get a feel.

9. Get an ipass. Uber/Lyft will tell you they only cover Ipass amount of tolls. Check your tolls if you get a ride to Indiana. FUBER is notorious for missing tolls.

Hazmat

Rofl, Lyft shows (for the most part) where pax is relative to the ride requested. Sounds like you need to brush up on your navigation skills. Especially with the one ways and how to get off and on LSD.

Don't use waze. Its good at pointing out red light came, cops, but isn't that great navigation wise. Like previous posters, drive at night to get a feel.

9. Get an ipass. Uber/Lyft will tell you they only cover Ipass amount of tolls. Check your tolls if you get a ride to Indiana. FUBER is notorious for missing tolls.

Or....confirm with pax that you're happy to drive a bit past Indiana border via 80 and will not use the skyway. I don't give a f*ck about service in this situation and will cancel. Period.

I got Waze because everyone said Lyfts navigation sucks and google maps sucks and it all sucks.

And LSD yeah - found out today Ohio street beach is the Navy Pier exit After making a loop.

My acceptance rate is really low. Drove way the @@@@ out and on the way back got a line request in a sketch area from a guy with a 4.7. Declined. Wonder if Lyft will kick me off. 5 stars so far though.

I drove around downtown this morning for a bit - found the mysterious S and N East Water drive. One is off Columbus the others off Michigan. Stupid.

Hardly any requests today. Is that normal for a holiday?

LyftRus

I got Waze because everyone said Lyfts navigation sucks and google maps sucks and it all sucks.

And LSD yeah - found out today Ohio street beach is the Navy Pier exit After making a loop.

My acceptance rate is really low. Drove way the &%[email protected]!* out and on the way back got a line request in a sketch area from a guy with a 4.7. Declined. Wonder if Lyft will kick me off. 5 stars so far though.

I drove around downtown this morning for a bit - found the mysterious S and N East Water drive. One is off Columbus the others off Michigan. Stupid.

Hardly any requests today. Is that normal for a holiday?

I left after after 8:30, i drove around everywhere in circles in hopes of a ping but no dice. had 2 surge airport rides before that and that was it.

lakersfan1

Lyft is NOT navigation. It's a map with an arbitrary line and a made-up ETA.

Waze is owned by Google same shit with more info being thrown at you every five seconds. If you're already nervous, try Google so it's not telling you about speed traps and accidents every ten seconds. Put on some jazz and lay off the coffee.

When you get near the river or the Loop, your GPS you should no longer assume is turn by turn nor correct. It's now a MAP and YOU better figure it out.

Andretti

What? Please tell me you're kidding with that I bolded in quoting your post! :p

1] Alright, go to your trouble areas late at night on M-Th or early Sunday a.m. with the app off, and drive around a little to get the lay of the land. Go to East Randolph and the airports, and any other areas causing you problems. Take the time to get yourself comfortable. Until you're really up to snuff, the main rule is to never go lower level anything! Actually, it's relatively rare to have lower level pick-ups or drop-offs, so you usually will be correct if you stay above.

2] Get a tollway transponder (I'm surprised you don't already have one).

3] Waze and other nav apps, and rideshare nav apps, tend to have many problems in the Loop and nearby areas (River North, Mag Mile). You're going to have to learn the territor sans nav.

4] Be aware both major rideshare companies will cut you quite a bit of slack during your first rides. Don't be too panicky as a noob.

5] Get a dashcam with an illuminated interior cam. Buy it from Amazon Prime, using their 'immediate decision' credit card. That will give you 30 days to see if you like rideshare, while remaining protected without putting any money out in front. If rideshare don't work for you, return the cam with free shipping. Safety first!

Lyft is NOT navigation. It's a map with an arbitrary line and a made-up ETA.

Waze is owned by Google same shit with more info being thrown at you every five seconds. If you're already nervous, try Google so it's not telling you about speed traps and accidents every ten seconds. Put on some jazz and lay off the coffee.

When you get near the river or the Loop, your GPS you should no longer assume is turn by turn nor correct. It's now a MAP and YOU better figure it out.
No truer words ever spoken!

And do not follow the nav apps directions to go lower level!

In the Loop and East Randoph, nav is NOT your friend!

I'M TRYIN MAMA I'M TRYIN

What? Please tell me you're kidding with that I bolded in quoting your post! :p

I wish I was kidding. Lyft kept telling me MY ACCEPTANCE RATING IS LOW!!!! - so I kept accepting. Then canceling. It was at 67% this morning when I went out. I'm at 80% now.

They were all on @@@@er Drive or East North South West Water Street. Smh.

Cheech

Try not to concern yourself so much with the acceptance rate, it changes weekly and they know new drivers will struggle at first.

Lower wacker can be nightmare if you're not familiar, especially at night.

My advice would be to stick around the places you're familiar with and learn how the various nav systems work before venturing out of your comfort zone.

Andretti

I'M TRYIN MAMA I'M TRYIN

I wish I was kidding. Lyft kept telling me MY ACCEPTANCE RATING IS LOW!!!! - so I kept accepting. Then canceling. It was at 67% this morning when I went out. I'm at 80% now.

They were all on &%[email protected]!*er Drive or East North South West Water Street. Smh.
Whoa.

So what is your cancellation rate? That's the big one to be concerned about.

The California ruling pretty much exonerated drivers from having to accept calls. That's not to say Uber & Lyft can't see a low acceptance rate and deact you ,"technically" for something else. Maybe. But today acceptance rate is not to be feared (as much), and plenty of drivers dip low on occasion. Cancellations on the other hand, can definitely get you deact'd! Better to not accept, than to accept & cancel!

Personally, I nearly always keep my cancellation rate over 90%, and get really cautious if I hit the 80's.