• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

28, single mom of 2 here to say, Ladies and Gentlemen, don't let the disrespect define you.

evannacooper

So yeah, single mom. I work nights exclusively but slowly adding in hours in the afternoon now that my sister is able to watch the kids for me.

I don't like to talk about my looks....but I was brought up to look my best no matter what it is I do. That being said I still dress modestly, I'm not bad to look at...I absolutely abhor compliments when I am ubering, but I tolerate it. I'm probably the nicest person you will ever meet, albeit I cuss like a sailor and have a dry...sometimes innapropriate sense of humor around the more lax pax( hey that rhymed). Of course I always keep it professional otherwise.

Every now and then I get drunk frat boy, overprivilaged, and spoiled pax...and occasional dirty old men that think their money is warrant to speak to people however they wish. They always start off with something like "oh, you're pretty but you're ubering at night. Single mother, right? Baby daddy out of the picture, I bet you put out...how much do I have to pay to get you to party with us/come up to the hotel? You could use the money I bet." and of course, "everyone has a price." I've been offered as much as $1500. Just blatant disrespect.

Now I know yall are thinking, "one star their asses and kick them out, report them, don't you know what you are getting into? This is dangerous. You don't belong here, etc, etc. " Firstly, I will not go into detail but I do not have options. I work nights, thats my only option for the time being. I've been doing delivery for years and know houston well, I've been an independent ic driver so I know how the game is played. I actually prefer being independent. I work nights, and I know what that entails. Crazy people and these dudes high on liquid courage among other things.

Not complaining, just venting and sharing my experiences so far. If there are female drivers out there with similar issues, I hope you find solace in the fact that you are not alone. I honestly love my job, these jerks that treat me like shit aint nothing to me. It hurts a little but they will never know that because I will never break face and let my guard down. When they get to talking their shit I'm just like "On a normal sober day, you wouldnt even dare come up to me on the street. I am here to drive you to where you need to go. want to listen to your music? cool. want to bs about politics? Fine. Need to stop and smoke a cig, go through the drive thru? no problem as long as the meter is running. I ain't here to put up with your bs just cause you are paying for a ride, because trust me...you ain't doing me any favors, now where do you need to go?" Boom...the do a 180 and I get my respect back. Sometimes I even get a nice enjoyable conversation for the reminder of the trip and even a Thank You!! Crazy right?

I still maintain 5 stars and my dignity to date. Thing is, as belligerent and high as some of these guys are....they aint stupid. They know damn well that I have every right to talk them back into their place even though I don't make enough money and I am struggling. It hurts them because they think they can get away with it....but I hold the power. In the end, they know They are one more stupid comment away from a lawsuit or me putting us in a ditch and them in jail with a side of mace in face if they touch me. Don't get me wrong, I don't go looking for trouble. I do what I can to diffuse the more persistent ones, because in the end putting them in their place isn't worth getting my ass beat.

Despite all of this, I love my damn job. I'll keep it until I find my next gig. These people that talk trash...they are worthless piles of cow chips and I honestly find it amusing.

Rant over.

JJ/Uber/Miami

So yeah, single mom. I work nights exclusively but slowly adding in hours in the afternoon now that my sister is able to watch the kids for me.

I don't like to talk about my looks....but I was brought up to look my best no matter what it is I do. That being said I still dress modestly, I'm not bad to look at...I absolutely abhor compliments when I am ubering, but I tolerate it. I'm probably the nicest person you will ever meet, albeit I cuss like a sailor and have a dry...sometimes innapropriate sense of humor around the more lax pax( hey that rhymed). Of course I always keep it professional otherwise.

Every now and then I get drunk frat boy, overprivilaged, and spoiled pax...and occasional dirty old men that think their money is warrant to speak to people however they wish. They always start off with something like "oh, you're pretty but you're ubering at night. Single mother, right? Baby daddy out of the picture, I bet you put out...how much do I have to pay to get you to party with us/come up to the hotel? You could use the money I bet." and of course, "everyone has a price." I've been offered as much as $1500. Just blatant disrespect.

Now I know yall are thinking, "one star their asses and kick them out, report them, don't you know what you are getting into? This is dangerous. You don't belong here, etc, etc. " Firstly, I will not go into detail but I do not have options. I work nights, thats my only option for the time being. I've been doing delivery for years and know houston well, I've been an independent ic driver so I know how the game is played. I actually prefer being independent. I work nights, and I know what that entails. Crazy people and these dudes high on liquid courage among other things.

Not complaining, just venting and sharing my experiences so far. If there are female drivers out there with similar issues, I hope you find solace in the fact that you are not alone. I honestly love my job, these jerks that treat me like shit aint nothing to me. It hurts a little but they will never know that because I will never break face and let my guard down. When they get to talking their shit I'm just like "On a normal sober day, you wouldnt even dare come up to me on the street. I am here to drive you to where you need to go. want to listen to your music? cool. want to bs about politics? Fine. Need to stop and smoke a cig, go through the drive thru? no problem as long as the meter is running. I ain't here to put up with your bs just cause you are paying for a ride, because trust me...you ain't doing me any favors, now where do you need to go?" Boom...the do a 180 and I get my respect back. Sometimes I even get a nice enjoyable conversation for the reminder of the trip and even a Thank You!! Crazy right?

I still maintain 5 stars and my dignity to date. Thing is, as belligerent and high as some of these guys are....they aint stupid. They know damn well that I have every right to talk them back into their place even though I don't make enough money and I am struggling. It hurts them because they think they can get away with it....but I hold the power. In the end, they know They are one more stupid comment away from a lawsuit or me putting us in a ditch and them in jail with a side of mace in face if they touch me. Don't get me wrong, I don't go looking for trouble. I do what I can to diffuse the more persistent ones, because in the end putting them in their place isn't worth getting my ass beat.

Despite all of this, I love my damn job. I'll keep it until I find my next gig. These people that talk trash...they are worthless piles of cow chips and I honestly find it amusing.

Rant over.
I feel ya. As women we are forced to put up with a lot of crap, especially in male dominated professions. I admire your strength, resilience, and ability to deal with a**holes while remaining calm. That attitude will serve you very well. In the meantime, stay strong and do what you gotta do. You are not in this alone. God Bless !!!!

JJ/Uber/Miami

Yes girl!! And we will only get stronger. May God Bless you and yours as well. Stay safe, stay strong, and keep the faith. ❤❤❤
Thank you soon much. My day is actually looking up. Just got my 1099 tax form from Uber and gave it to the accountant thats doing my taxes. When he added that business loss from Uber, my refund went from $2162 to $6875. I haven't even added Lyft yet. I'm so happy. With no child support, me and the kids really need that money. Hope it works out well for you too Sweetheart:wink:

D Town

Much respect. With the bullcrap I've dealt with over the years being a large male I can only imagine the crap a woman has to put up with when it comes to drunk bastards. Good luck, stay strong, and most importantly stay safe.

TurkUber

If you really got offered 1500$ maybe you should change careers? Good looking people make more money. Im not implying that you work in a gentlemans club or something, dont get it the wrong way. Maybe you can become a welcomer/waiter at an upscale restaurant.

D Town

I'm curious to how you look. post a pic of yourself.
I have a feeling you're the type of person she's talking about...

If you really got offered 1500$ maybe you should change careers? Good looking people make more money. Im not implying that you work in a gentlemans club or something, dont get it the wrong way. Maybe you can become a welcomer/waiter at an upscale restaurant.
Why would she want to do this? She likes being an IC and even stated that she doesn't like compliments on her looks while driving but you think she'd be more comfortable in a job where most of it is focused on her looks?

TwoFiddyMile

Where to start...
Respect is earned.
OP swears like a sailor on the job and has a raunchy sense of humor?
Be professional at all times. Dress code for women as pro drivers should be similar to the men, avoid sexy or revealing clothing.
You get what you give in this world. Clean up your mouth and dress for success, and people will treat you better.

D Town

Where to start...
Respect is earned.
OP swears like a sailor on the job and has a raunchy sense of humor?
Be professional at all times. Dress code for women as pro drivers should be similar to the men, avoid sexy or revealing clothing.
You get what you give in this world. Clean up your mouth and dress for success, and people will treat you better.
She made it clear that she only relaxes to that extent once she's felt out the pax and believes they'd be comfortable with it. She also says she dresses modestly. I have to imagine that means no low cut tops or skin tight attire.

D Town

I'm probably the nicest person you will ever meet, albeit I cuss like a sailor and have a dry...sometimes innapropriate sense of humor around the more lax pax( hey that rhymed). Of course I always keep it professional otherwise.
That tells me its only around certain pax.

Nothing wrong with being professional if you're driving folks for a living and dressing for success will help you in most aspects in life I'll give you that.

UberBlackPr1nce

Thank you soon much. My day is actually looking up. Just got my 1099 tax form from Uber and gave it to the accountant thats doing my taxes. When he added that business loss from Uber, my refund went from $2162 to $6875. I haven't even added Lyft yet. I'm so happy. With no child support, me and the kids really need that money. Hope it works out well for you too Sweetheart:wink:
Just imagine how much the Gov will be shelling out with 500000 drivers to get that 4 grand. The gov will need to step in and regulate uber before uber drive (no pun intended) gov right Into another recession.

Last edited:

TwoFiddyMile

Just imagine how much the Gov will be shelling out with 500000 drivers to get that 4 grand. The gov will need to step and regulate uber before uber drive (no pun intended) gov right Into another recession.
Thank you for emphasis on this IRS loss talking point.
There is NO WAY the spearhead organization of Woodrow Wilsons new world order is going to hand out loss checks to Uber drivers for more than one tax season.
The end is near, look for MAJOR announcement after April 15th.

JJ/Uber/Miami

Thank you for emphasis on this IRS loss talking point.
There is NO WAY the spearhead organization of Woodrow Wilsons new world order is going to hand out loss checks to Uber drivers for more than one tax season.
The end is near, look for MAJOR announcement after April 15th.
I don't know Fiddy. Walmart has been getting away with paying slave wages and having 80% of their workforce on welfare for a long time now. When I was in retail (Sears/Kmart) and making no more than $15,000 a year, my refunds were around $8500. Even though Uber pays no employment taxes, it will be interesting to see if there is some government regulation of the TNC industry with respect to IC status after this tax season. The government can be slow to move in many cases, even if it is costing them money. WE SHALL SEE !!!!