$2500 repair bill

Adam86

Currently off the road after taking my car in to have the brakes checked. Mechanic informed me the abs pump was shot, brake pads down to 2mm and two tyres on left hand side unroadworthy, due to the amount of driving I'm doing. $2500 to fix all. I'm only doing Uber Eats now so hopefully my tyres last more than 6 months from now

Iuber

Currently off the road after taking my car in to have the brakes checked. Mechanic informed me the abs pump was shot, brake pads down to 2mm and two tyres on left hand side unroadworthy, due to the amount of driving I'm doing. $2500 to fix all. I'm only doing Uber Eats now so hopefully my tyres last more than 6 months from now
How rough is your driving? Each set of tyres and brake pads last 100,000kms for me. Rough driving costs significantly more to maintain.

Adam86

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My driving is fine, the guy said roundabouts will wear the tyres down a fair bit and there are plenty of them where I live. Not sure when I replaced the tyres, maybe it was a year ago, not 6 months. 100,000 seems like a long time for tyres, mine were only basic ones, maybe yours are more expensive?

Classified

Cheap tyres last about 40,000km on front if front wheel drive, and double that on rear if front wheel drive, good quality expensive tyres last a lot longer,

Brake pads last 90-100,000km,

$2500 seems like a lot,

Two tyres a couple hundred, full set of brake pads, and rotors fitted $500, abs pump $350ish, extra $250 for fitting, $1100 total, max $1500aus depending on type of car,

DA08

S
Cheap tyres last about 40,000km on front if front wheel drive, and double that on rear if front wheel drive, good quality expensive tyres last a lot longer,

Brake pads last 90-100,000km,

$2500 seems like a lot,

Two tyres a couple hundred, full set of brake pads, and rotors fitted $500, abs pump $350ish, extra $250 for fitting, $1100 total, max $1500aus depending on type of car,
Somebody is getting ripped off ... Lol get a second opinion Adam86

sharkie 2016

How rough is your driving? Each set of tyres and brake pads last 100,000kms for me. Rough driving costs significantly more to maintain.
tyres 100,000 ? here we go again you said $2000 for 40 hours leisurely driving for uber remember that .i am a very safe driver and i could not get more than 70,000km out of my tyres and brake pads i use the best bendix brake pads and got 68,000kms you talk a lot of rubbish for sure !!! you still making your $2000 for a 40 hour week ??? LOL dont make me laugh what will you come out with next ???

Iuber

tyres 100,000 ? here we go again you said $2000 for 40 hours leisurely driving for uber remember that .i am a very safe driver and i could not get more than 70,000km out of my tyres and brake pads i use the best bendix brake pads and got 68,000kms you talk a lot of rubbish for sure !!! you still making your $2000 for a 40 hour week ??? LOL dont make me laugh what will you come out with next ???
I have no problem understanding you, unfortunately not the other way around. It remains unbelievable till you get to my level, either you keep learning or it's forever unbelievable.

Screenshot_20180901-142654_Chrome.jpg

I wish you could be one of these people.

But seriously your comments to my previous post shows that you are a bad, inexperienced driver and you know very little about cars. But it's ok, not many people can drive like me.

Last edited:

metalpenguin

What make and model car you driving?
I just got my front tyres changed. Asked about the differences between expensive tyres and cheaper- they last the same. BUT the more expensive tyres handle better in the wet.

JCS26

My Yokohama Advan lasted 80k, yes there are tyres that’s really built for high mileage

Ivan B

My driving is fine, the guy said roundabouts will wear the tyres down a fair bit and there are plenty of them where I live. Not sure when I replaced the tyres, maybe it was a year ago, not 6 months. 100,000 seems like a long time for tyres, mine were only basic ones, maybe yours are more expensive?
Makes sense I suppose, the two tyres on the left would travel a greater distance than the two on the right when driving on a roundabout.
Just how many roundabouts in your area?
I go through 3 sets in the front for every set on the back, stupid front wheel drive, I hate front wheel drive, the only thing worse than front wheel drive is four-wheel drive, and the people who drive them. (not the people who actually drive them off road though)

Sydney Uber

I’m interested. What car are you driving? And how many kilometres has it covered so far?

Sydney Uber

I agree

[email protected]

You may as well buy a new car.

But if you're like some here that claim to make $50 an hr, you'll be able to cover that repair bill in no time. In 50 hours in fact. Easy!

evil

At least you can claim the GST back on your BAS.
The remaining amout can be claimed from your taxes.

U8er

I have driven 60k+ km Michelin tyres from Costco and it is still in very good condition and I am expecting at least 60k+ km more. I have installed Bendix brake pads and it lasted more than 100k km. I drive a manual transmission AWD car and try to use less brake as much as possible, mostly engine brake.
When there was driving report, I missed 1 or 0 only in brake during a week.

Hugh G

2500 repair bill.....

How much do you allow for these "unforeseen " annual costs in your maintenance expenditure line-item?

PS...Don't forget that "accelerated depreciation" one either, it may be more than this figure you seem so surprised with!

tohunt4me

I just quoted a customer a Factory ABS pump for an Accord $3,500.00 U.S.D. just for the part!
We Lived BEFORE A.B.S. !
Skilled drivers can stop cars without A.B.S. !

Computers & electronics Drive up the Price of simple Hydraulic brakes.

Imagine
What self driving cars will do to prices & repair pricing !