$25 earned on a $10 trip with no tip.

June132017

Backseat driver thought she knew better than the GPS.

The GPS said go west initially to get onto the turnpike so my PAX destination was in the east. It confused her pretty good : D.

So then I kept asking her which way she wanted to go and would just blatantly follow whatever the hell she said. She got mad that it kept routing her to the turnpike. Anyway, the payout helped me out as it winded up being a $25 payout rather than the $9-$12 it would have been. She updated the destination once so I think she's going to look guilty if she tried to fight for driving around in circles. So do I 5 star her or 1 star her? This was on the Lyft machine.

Vishnu643

The GPS said go west initially to get onto the turnpike so my PAX destination was in the east. It confused her pretty good : D.

So then I kept asking her which way she wanted to go and would just blatantly follow whatever the hell she said. She got mad that it kept routing her to the turnpike. Anyway, the payout helped me out as it winded up being a $25 payout rather than the $9-$12 it would have been. She updated the destination once so I think she's going to look guilty if she tried to fight for driving around in circles. So do I 5 star her or 1 star her? This was on the Lyft machine.
I'd have 5 starred. She helped you earn extra cash at no dishonesty to you.

Benjamin M

It's NEVER a better route. I love how they argue with a system that actually knows the traffic in real time, insisting on their route and ignoring each time the ETA increases ?

Also hate it when pax don't want me to take the expressway. More fuel efficient and faster - again, I know the traffic.

Eh what can you do. I would probably go 4*.

Trafficat

I always go the route the pax recommends. It isn't always about the destination. Sometimes it is about the journey. I often have passengers ask for the scenic route.

One time I drove these really cute 4 college girls to their house and they said my ride was so fun they wanted to go around the block once more... Who was I to argue? I went around the block one more time and then dropped them off. Got paid more for the ride!

UberBastid

Pax gets into the car. It's about a 15 min haul.
After about two minutes she starts coughing uncontrollably. I roll down the window a little to let fresh air in.
She: Do you have any water in here?
Me: No, sorry. I don't.
She: *cough, cough*
Me: There is a convenience store about two blocks up, do you want me to stop there?
She: No, there isn't a store on this road.
Me: Yes, there is ... on the right just before the freeway entrance.
She: Are you new here? * cough - cough *
Me: No. I've lived here for over 20 years.
... a few moments of silence inter-spaced with coughing ...
as I turned onto the freeway ...
She: You went by it.
Me: By what?
She: The convenience store that you said you'd stop at.
Me: Oh, you mean the one you said didn't exist? I thought I was hallucinating or something because I saw it ...
She: You said you'd stop.
Me: No, I didn't - I asked you if you wanted me to stop, and I never got an answer.

We exchanged one stars ... another day in the life of an Uber driver ..

Deepscout

After about two minutes she starts coughing uncontrollably. I roll down the window a little to let fresh air in.
Me: There is a convenience store about two blocks up, do you want me to stop there?
Me: Oh, you mean the one you said didn't exist? I thought I was hallucinating or something because I saw it ...
Me: No, I didn't - I asked you if you wanted me to stop, and I never got an answer.

If you ever 1) tell a rider that they are incorrect in any capacity or context, or 2) tell a rider that no, they can not have whatever bs they are requesting, you can generally expect a 1* at best.

IR12

1 star....backseat drivers are annoying.

If you know the area you are driving, then your backseat directions are irrelevant.
For me, it all depends on their approach. It's helpful if they ask if you're familiar with the area.
Assuming you're not & barking turn-by-turn directions from word 1 is a control issue I will NOT tolerate if the ride is more than a few blocks.

I will accidetally-on-purpose end the ride & close app so I don't get them again.

Declineathon

3 star, copious notes, offer dash cam footage, summarize, tnc says customer decides route. And customer did. You offered a proffessional drive, catered to verbal and on app changes. 3 stars because you dont want to work with her again, respectfully

Another Uber Driver

If you know the area you are driving,
(emphasis added)

.....a rarity among TNC drivers; most do not even know the neighbourhood in which they live......................

a system that actually knows the traffic in real time,
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

The only "system" that ACTUALLY knows the traffic in "real time" is the one in my head. Believe The Boston Globe all that you will, that does not make it real.

Benjamin M

The only "system" that ACTUALLY knows the traffic in "real time" is the one in my head. Believe The Boston Globe all that you will, that does not make it real.
Thousands of cell phones on Google / Waze being tracked continously, identifying slowdowns and alerting to hazards. Are you psychic? ?

I'll stick to taking a detour around a major traffic jam. But hey, whatever works best for you. I'd be lost within three miles from my building without GPS, that's definitely the bad thing.

crowuber

Another story with a beautiful ending from our resident BASTID

Benjamin M

Seriously? And you keep telling people THEY aren't cut out for this job?
Bit of sarcasm and exaggeration there, my friend. And who did I ever say wasn't cut out for the job?? Nobody.
Post automatically merged:

And actually, yes, partly true. I just moved here from two hours away a few months ago.

Another Uber Driver

Are you psychic?
I might just as well be. Unlike the ants and half of the other TNC drivers, I actually know where I am going and what I am doing out here. I know my streets, traffic patterns and where the Flashy Arrow Hells are. A listen to "Traffic and Weather together on the Eights" between customers fills me in on the collisions and fires. I know when and where the events are and what streets will close. I know the workarounds that the sheep use and avoid them by pre-empting or detouring long before the sheep do.

Half of the trolls on these Boards will try to tell you that this is a low-skill job. Said trolls either never drove for compensation or tried it and washed out quickly. In addition, there is a reason that people call them trolls.

I'd be lost within three miles from my building without GPS, that's definitely the bad thing.

In short, you are not an atypical TNC driver. The ants as well as half the remaining TNC drivers do not even know their own neighbourhoods. They know how to get from their home to their job, to the Harris Teeter, to the doctor's office, to the airport, to the ballpark or to downtown, but, that is about it.

The Jippy Yess actually hinders a guy like me who actually knows where he is going and what he is doing out here. I use it mostly for its entertainment value.

The one exception is when I get into the exurbs or even the further out suburbs. At that point, I become your typical GPS-hugging TNC driver. Even before Uber, it was unusual to get a trip to the exurbs or even further out suburbs.

Benjamin M

customers fills me in on the collisions and fires.
I had a pax tell me not to take the interstate once because "we was just there" and there was supposedly a lot of traffic. Google Maps showed it green all the way, about ten minutes. "Nah man, trust me, I know these roads. You isn't from around here?"

So, we took his route. About 24 minutes later, more than twice the time if we'd stuck to the interstate, we rolled up. Tons of traffic, a road closure, and multiple lights. I had to deal with an annoying kid kicking the hell out of my center console and endless backseat driving.

I'll stick with real time traffic data and take the route that is the most efficient, thanks. Technology isn't perfect but it can really help.

But I do applaud anyone who knows their market inside and out. I've been driving for less than a year, lived in this market since around November - and it's really spread out. Probably won't be doing this gig long enough to become a master.