• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

24/7 Uber and Lyft pickup zones coming to D.C.

New2This

From the article:

"As part of the effort, the city is concurrently looking at stepping up enforcement. The Department of Public Works is expanding its parking enforcement team and asking the city to amend D.C. code to allow citations to be mailed instead of having to be placed on a vehicle’s windshield in cases where violators leave the scene before the ticket is served. The agency cannot process tickets when a car drives off before the ticket is issued. If the change is enacted, the agency will be able to mail the citations to the registered owner of the car."

Expect ticket writing to go up exponentially.

Thank God for the bike rack

SurgeTastic

The article mentions pick up zones instituted a while ago in Dupont.

I’m there almost every weekend, and I’ve never heard of this. No notification from either Uber or Lyft, and I’ve never seen any signage like this.

Anybody know what the Post is talking about?

Last edited:

Jo3030

From the article:

"As part of the effort, the city is concurrently looking at stepping up enforcement. The Department of Public Works is expanding its parking enforcement team and asking the city to amend D.C. code to allow citations to be mailed instead of having to be placed on a vehicle’s windshield in cases where violators leave the scene before the ticket is served. The agency cannot process tickets when a car drives off before the ticket is issued. If the change is enacted, the agency will be able to mail the citations to the registered owner of the car."

Expect ticket writing to go up exponentially.

Thank God for the bike rack
Wow anything for some revenue.

Just another reason to avoid DC
My mantra.
Keep making it impossible to drive in DC.
Eventually you'll have no cars in DC.
Good luck for Joe Schmoe trying to go down to the Kennedy Center from Adams Morgan.

SOLA-RAH

The article mentions pick up zones instituted a while ago in Dupont.

I’m there almost every weekend, and I’ve never heard of this. No notification from either Uber or Lyft, and I’ve never seen any signage like this.

Anybody know what the Post is talking about?
Planning the pilot program in 2017:
https://www.popville.com/2017/10/ddot-to-launch-a-nightlife-parking-demonstration/
DDOT’s press release:
https://ddot.dc.gov/release/ddot-takes-steps-build-success-dupont-circle-nightlife-pick-drop-zone
In full effect now in 2018:
https://www.popville.com/2018/08/vehicles-parked-dc-zones-towed/

And just last night I saw a regular guy in an SUV (not an uber driver) get a ticket as he lingered too long in front of Rosebar on Connecticut. The rule enforcing cop carries the ticket-writing machine on his hip and was really quick about it.

yankdog

Pro tip: call ahead if you're picking up down there. If they won't/can't answer the phone because they're paying their tab/in the bathroom/playing tonsil hockey with their last call beer goggle, Shuffle and try another ping.
Yep I did this several times tonight.