$207 TX UI benefits ending 7/31 too?

pootboy

this article is a bit ominous, and unspecific

it implies new guidelines could be dropped at any time that would keep gig workers from collecting benefits after 7/31 unless they're currently dying of covid, essentially.

anybody up to speed on this?

also, am i reading it right that income over 25% is actually negative income towards unemployment? e.g. at the $207 level, netting any more than $52 a week puts you in the red?

that's kind of whatever for rideshare, considering you can play around with gross vs net, but i actually would rather NOT get covid from wetvacking bachelorette puke every weekend, so i was thinking of doing some remote work at home, which is hard to take deductions on-- and i guess if it pays more than $52 a week, i can pretty much kiss my $207 check g'bye, assuming i'm still even getting one come August.

Last edited:

RobLinn

The DUA $207 will continue for rideshare drivers through 12/31 (then an additional 13 weeks after your 39 total weeks runs out due to Texas hitting the state Unemployment rate threshold)

so if you can live on $828 a month you can sit until at least until March 2021

If you do decide to start driving again in August (assuming they don’t extend the PUA $600 or whatever number) then you can still collect the $207 per week even if you make money driving as long as you can zero out your weekly “Profits”

Texas is a Net Profits reporting for Unemployment
For example,

If you drive & make $400 for the week that $400 is considered your Gross Profits

Now you need to deduct your “Expenses”

Say you spend $100 in Gas & have 1,500 miles driven

your expenses will be (1,500 miles x $0.575) $862 in mileage or $100 in gas (claim one or the other but not both)

So I claim $862 as my weekly expense & deduct that from the $400 in profits for a Negative $462

so you report your hours worked (whatever is on the app for hours online) & since your “Net Profits” is a Negative you report $0

that qualifies you for the $207 per week

So that’s on top of your Driver “Profits”

RobLinn

I hope you're making more than 58 cents a mile
My personal take home is usually around $500 a week for 30 hours
My business quarterly & around tax time is always a Profit loss
I don’t subscribe to the everything while driving costs (IE: car payment, insurance, etc) as I would have those expenses with a regular job anyways
Sure I put miles on my car but that’s to lessen my tax liability (also keep maintenance costs down by doing all my own maintenance)
No complaints about rideshare here
kinda perfect for me

Stevie The magic Unicorn

I hope you're making more than 58 cents a mile
Once you factor in dead miles most uber arn't.

Orlando it's something in the neighborhood for paid miles at a rate of 56-ish-c a mile (including the 8c a minute)

then you factor in half 2/3rds miles being empty now your well under...but a no-show cancels out a lot of loss thou.

Unless you accept everything then your paid/unpaid mileage hits about 5 unpaid per 1 paid.

JJGold

The DUA $207 will continue for rideshare drivers through 12/31 (then an additional 13 weeks after your 39 total weeks runs out due to Texas hitting the state Unemployment rate threshold)

so if you can live on $828 a month you can sit until at least until March 2021

If you do decide to start driving again in August (assuming they don’t extend the PUA $600 or whatever number) then you can still collect the $207 per week even if you make money driving as long as you can zero out your weekly “Profits”

Texas is a Net Profits reporting for Unemployment
For example,

If you drive & make $400 for the week that $400 is considered your Gross Profits

Now you need to deduct your “Expenses”

Say you spend $100 in Gas & have 1,500 miles driven

your expenses will be (1,500 miles x $0.575) $862 in mileage or $100 in gas (claim one or the other but not both)

So I claim $862 as my weekly expense & deduct that from the $400 in profits for a Negative $462

so you report your hours worked (whatever is on the app for hours online) & since your “Net Profits” is a Negative you report $0

that qualifies you for the $207 per week

So that’s on top of your Driver “Profits”
So can you still drive full time ($0.00 net profits after expenses) and still collect the $207 DUA and the $600 PUA (thru July 31st)? I was under the impression that it was gross profits and not net profits.

Last edited:

So can you still drive full time ($0.00 net profits after expenses) and still collect the $207 DUA and the $600 PUA (thru July 31st)? I was under the impression that it was gross profits and not net profits.
Seems it would be awfully hard to remain eligible for benefits if you drove full time. I don't think the reporting lets you report "Net" earnings after expenses. Unless TX does this completely different than AZ. Which of course is possible.
Post automatically merged:

I hope no one is grossing only $400 on a 1500 mile week....

JJGold

Seems it would be awfully hard to remain eligible for benefits if you drove full time. I don't think the reporting lets you report "Net" earnings after expenses. Unless TX does this completely different than AZ. Which of course is possible.
Post automatically merged:

Well, I was replying to a driver from Texas that said: "Texas is a Net Profits reporting for Unemployment". Still waiting for someone from Texas to reply.

cokitmoce

Man when I drove I grossed $1 a mile before bonuses. It was so predictable I stopped logging how much I made since I could just look at my odometer.

Making 30 cents a mile is just bananas. I've seen people say they drive extra miles on purpose to lower their taxes. Some people seriously don't understand how much it costs to drive a car.

Well, I was replying to a driver from Texas that said: "Texas is a Net Profits reporting for Unemployment". Still waiting for someone from Texas to reply.
It's net profits. https://www.twc.texas.gov/files/jobseekers/calculate-report-earnings-twc.pdf

page 12

Noonespecial

It is net profits. Another concern is that Texas, and most other states had never given unemployment to the self employed. So once this PUA ends I am not too sure how long the state unemployment will last.
Gov. Abbott seems to have a heart, but its obvious that lt gov. patrick wants Abbott's job so he is acting like a sociopath like trump to try and get the support of those voters.
From what I can tell, trump voters dont seem to care too much for "doctors" and "scientists" while Gov. Abbott actually does.

RIP governor abbott's re election, or RIP PUA??

wilsonz83

It is net profits. Another concern is that Texas, and most other states had never given unemployment to the self employed. So once this PUA ends I am not too sure how long the state unemployment will last.
Gov. Abbott seems to have a heart, but its obvious that lt gov. patrick wants Abbott's job so he is acting like a sociopath like trump to try and get the support of those voters.
From what I can tell, trump voters dont seem to care too much for "doctors" and "scientists" while Gov. Abbott actually does.

RIP governor abbott's re election, or RIP PUA??
RIP all

RobLinn

sorry I haven’t checked UP in a while

Texas is a Net profits reporting state for UE benefits under the DUA/PUA (after expenses)

https://www.twc.texas.gov/files/jobseekers/calculate-report-earnings-twc.pdf (Page 12)

for example

if I drive 30 hours & my gross profits are $400 & my expenses are $575 (assuming 1,000 miles driven at the Federal $.575 per mile deduction) my NET Profit is a negative (-$175) so I would be eligible for the $207 regular benefit (so my total gross profit/benefit for the week would be $400 (Profit gross) + $207 (UE after the Fed $600 expires) = $607)

A9C4FDF7-0573-4BCC-B395-9091F8B5FEB2.jpeg

Ziggy

Doesn’t really matter much anymore since the $600 Cares Act money ends on 7/25; after which most drivers will only get $207 and they’ll start driving instead.