2019 - Year in Review

drdisaster

So, we're getting to the end of the year, New Year's Eve is pending, but overall, how'd you do? Are you happy?

Overall, yeah, I've been happy. Rideshare driving is supplemental income for me. I have a full-time day job. It's been good money to pay down debt and have a little extra cash to play with. I love the flexibility to turn it on/off at will. Riders have been better than I expected; I think a lot of that has to do with the times I drive. I don't do late nights. I'd say 25-30% of riders are "friendly". 50-60% keep to themselves (silent). The remaining 10-15% of (potential) "troublemakers" seem to at least respect me and don't give me any grief.

Total Rides: 1,102

* Rating: Uber: 4.97 Lyft: 5.0

Uber Pro: Platinum

Total Time: 540 hours, Average 10.35 hrs/week, mostly M-F 7-8 am, 5-8 pm, Saturdays

Total tax-deductible miles (includes empty-seat): 11,386

Drove Uber 65% / Lyft 35%. Ditched Lyft for good a few weeks ago.

Best Day: St. Patricks Saturday ($34/hr and no messes!)

Days over $30/hr: 6

Top 5 Longest Rides: 65.09, 61.29, 40.85, 40.41, 33.95 miles each respectively

Average tip rate: 12%

Largest in-app tip: $25

Largest cash tip: $80 (twice, both from the 60+ mile trips)

Accident Reports: 3. Rear-ended all three times, hit-and-run twice.

Cleaning Fees: 0

Lost & Found Items: About 5. Worst was a smartphone from someone I dropped off at CMAC in Canandaigua and I was all the way back in Greece by the time I was notified, she was from Buffalo and her hotel was in Victor. Settled on dropping it off at the hotel in Victor.

Riders I rated 3 or less: About 8 - 10.

Times I have been scared for my safety: 0

Times I have been freaked out by a rider: 3

Riders I canceled on upon arrival because I didn't want to let them in my car: 3. Someone puking the bushes. Someone openly smoking pot as they approached the car. One solo kid who couldn't have been more than 10-12.

Best time to drive: Snowstorm - The roads are shitty. No one wants to walk or wait for a bus. All the small sedan drivers bail. That leaves us brave AWD SUV's and pickups to rake it all in.

Worst time to drive: Summer - no college kids. The weather is nice enough for people to bike, walk, or wait for the bus instead. Too many K-12 teachers trying to supplement their income by driving.

Resolutions for the New Year: Get a quality dashcam system (at least front and back) that auto-uploads to the cloud. Be more patient and wait - avoid dead miles. Be friendlier - get average tip rate closer to 20%.

Last edited:

WhydoIdoit

So, we're getting to the end of the year, New Year's Eve is pending, but overall, how'd you do? Are you happy?

Overall, yeah, I've been happy. Rideshare driving is supplemental income for me. I have a full-time day job. It's been good money to pay down debt and have a little extra cash to play with. I love the flexibility to turn it on/off at will. Riders have been better than I expected; I think a lot of that has to do with the times I drive. I don't do late nights. I'd say 25-30% of riders are "friendly". 50-60% keep to themselves (silent). The remaining 10-15% of (potential) "troublemakers" seem to at least respect me and don't give me any grief.

Total Rides: 1,102

* Rating: Uber: 4.97 Lyft: 5.0

Uber Pro: Platinum

Total Time: 540 hours, Average 10.35 hrs/week, mostly M-F 7-8 am, 5-8 pm, Saturdays

Total tax-deductible miles (includes empty-seat): 11,386

Drove Uber 65% / Lyft 35%. Ditched Lyft for good a few weeks ago.

Best Day: St. Patricks Saturday ($34/hr and no messes!)

Days over $30/hr: 6

Top 5 Longest Rides: 65.09, 61.29, 40.85, 40.41, 33.95 miles each respectively

Average tip rate: 12%

Largest in-app tip: $25

Largest cash tip: $80 (twice, both from the 60+ mile trips)

Accident Reports: 3. Rear-ended all three times, hit-and-run twice.

Cleaning Fees: 0

Lost & Found Items: About 5. Worst was a smartphone from someone I dropped off at CMAC in Canandaigua and I was all the way back in Greece by the time I was notified, she was from Buffalo and her hotel was in Victor. Settled on dropping it off at the hotel in Victor.

Riders I rated 3 or less: About 8 - 10.

Times I have been freaked out by a rider: 3

Riders I canceled on upon arrival because I didn't want to let them in my car: 3. Someone puking the bushes. Someone openly smoking pot as they approached the car. One solo kid who couldn't have been more than 10-12.

Best time to drive: Snowstorm - The roads are shitty. No one wants to walk or wait for a bus. All the small sedan drivers bail. That leaves us brave AWD SUV's and pickups to rake it all in.

Worst time to drive: Summer - no college kids. The weather is nice enough for people to bike, walk, or wait for the bus instead. Too many K-12 teachers trying to supplement their income by driving.

Resolutions for the New Year: Get a quality dashcam system (at least front and back) that auto-uploads to the cloud. Be more patient and wait - avoid dead miles. Be friendlier - get average tip rate closer to 20%.
Great post!

You keep great records and details. Good luck and more $$$ for 2020.

Merc7186

Ill bite using @drdisaster format....

Total Rides: 1,707

* Rating: Uber: 4.93 Lyft: 5.0

Uber Pro: LOL....Good One

Total Time: Average roughly 13 hrs/week, mostly Friday and Saturdays from 945pm - 4am

Total tax-deductible miles (includes empty-seat): 18,421

Drove Uber 83% / Lyft 17%.

Best Day: St. Patricks Saturday

Days over $30/hr: 42

Top 5 Longest Rides: 82.05, 40.12, 37.60, 32.66, 32.45 miles each respectively

Average tip rate: 11%

Largest in-app tip: $20

Largest cash tip: $100

Accident Reports: 1. Rear-ended, hit-and-run

Tires Flattened: 2

Cleaning Fees: 7 $660 Repair Fees: 1 $250

Lost & Found Items: 0 Any item found is properly disgarded to the nearest curb

Riders I rated 3 or less: Average 2-3 per week

Times I have been freaked out by a rider: 0

Riders I canceled on upon arrival because I didn't want to let them in my car: At least a dozen

Cash Rides: :smiles:

Last edited:

rideshare_driver_roc

I don't track all of that info independently

rides: 2907
uber: 2137
lyft: 770
Rating: Uber: 4.93 Lyft: 5.0
Uber Pro: Diamond :-(
Total time: Friday 7pm - 5am, Saturdays - 5pm-5am, depending on family schedule
miles: 30k
Best Day: St. Patricks Saturday
Accident Reports: 1 - bicycle smashed driver's side window with rebar hanging out of backpack while I was parked on Park Ave
repair: performance slotted rotors and pads(1auto), new tires(costco)
Largest cash tip: $20
Riders I rated 3 or less: Average 1 per month
Lost & Found Items: 3-4 phones
Times I have been freaked out by a rider: 0
Riders I canceled on upon arrival because I didn't want to let them in my car: 3-4, but still not enough