1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

$.20 WHEELCHAIR fees deducted from every TRIP

Discussion in 'Pay' started by puber, Sep 9, 2014.

1. puber

puber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberPLUS
  2. Elmoooy

Elmoooy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I sure hope not - I transported a guy with wheelchair other day, I don't mind the extra work, he was extremely nice. But having to pay for wheelchair fee is nuts.

Ozzyoz likes this.
  3. chi1cabby

chi1cabby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    No! That charge is specific to Seattle. The Seattle TNC ordinance mandates it to provide wheelchair accessible transportation, which was being provided by cab companies at their own expense before the TNCs.

The $0.20 charge is paid by the rider. It does show up in the fare total v at the end of the ride, just like the SRF.
    So the Minimum Fare as far as a driver is concerned is $3.00

Screenshot_2014-09-09-18-10-27.png Np7tcTA.jpg

4. puber

puber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    My point is that total fare increases
    but drivers get none of that money.
    It makes uber cut more than 40% on min fares

5. drivingmisscrazy

drivingmisscrazy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    .20 to deal with a wheelchair hassle? Loading/unloading it. Waiting for pax to get in and out of the car etc...

What if you drive a car that can't store a chair in the trunk or inside?

Uber just gets better and better.

6. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    The minimum fare is illusory from a drivers POV. And so is the Total Fare at the end of a ride.

In Seattle it says $4.00 Min. Fare.
    For a PAX it's actually $4.20
    $4.00 + $0.20 = $4.20
    For a Drivers it's actually $2.40
    $4 - $1 SRF = $3
    $3 x 0.80 = $2.40

You can rack your brains about what % is Uber taking from any given fare total.

But what really matters is how much are you going to be left with after deducting your operational expenses and accounting for future expenses, such as maintenance.

On a side note, the standard IRS deduction rate of $0.56/mile is good for the drivers as they can write off a fair amount of their actual earnings and won't pay taxes on those earnings. And I don't think you have to account for vehicle replacement out of your current earnings, just set aside enough for a decent down payment. Then the car payments can come out of your operational expenses at that time.

7. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    This is not for Ride-sharing drivers to provide the wheelchair accessible service. It's for city to pay for this service by other paratransit vendors.

8. drivingmisscrazy

drivingmisscrazy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Ok so we don't get jack extra to transport wheelchair people but Uber does.

I've asked this before and ask it again now: How would you know a pax is in a wheelchair when you get a ping? And if you show up and see them in a chair and you can't store it do you just cancel? Kind of ****ty I know but Uber is not giving us the info in advance.

9. Elmoooy

Elmoooy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Well I had that kind of issue one morning, an pax pinged me, (wrong address by the way just to get an driver) and I drove all way to Mt. Pleasant in a terrible rain, come to find out hes in wheelchair. I was concerned if I hadn't been driving my jeep his wheels wouldn't have fit. I wonder suppose, I came up on a passenger who has more heavier wheelchair or even a scooter that can not fit, do we cancel? It just puts the driver in awkward position and also could open up to lawsuits.

drivingmisscrazy likes this.
  10. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Uber doesn't get this $0.20, the city is Seattle gets it. I don't think you drive in Seattle. This is for the city to pay v for Paratransit, meaning wheelchair accessible vans.

Most wheelchairs fold, the wheels come off them, and they fit in the trunks of even small size cars. If a driver can't make a go of it, he/she can cancel the ride.

11. Orlando_Driver

Orlando_Driver Well-Known Member

Orlando Yellow cab has wheelchair vans with ramp . You load them up and strap in the wheelchair

12. Walkersm

Walkersm Well-Known Member

Chi I have never had to remove the wheels off a chair. IS this video how you you have found they work most of the time?

13. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Yup same here in Chicago. I'm SF 1/3 of the accessible taxi fleet is sitting idle because the drivers have left for TNCs. This $0.20 surcharge was a proactive approach by Seattle to pay for accessible transportation because they saw it coming.

14. Walkersm

I am sure Uber is happy to pay it (or pass along the cost to the consumer) as it means they won't be responsible for putting any accessible vehicle on the road. What I am waiting for is which state is not going to let them off the hook by allowing them to pay for someone else to do it rather require them to put a certain percentage of Accessible vehicle on the road themselves.

15. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    With most wheelchairs you don't even have to snap off the wheels. You just fold em, and they fit just snugly in the trunk, IF you orient/position them correctly. You just snap off the foot rests. I can't remember the last time I had to take the wheels off, but it's easy to do. The pax will give all the instructions you need to get it done.

16. Walkersm

Thanks, yea I have always had a Lincoln town car trunk to put them in and those are so big you could probably get them in unfolded!!

17. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    I don't know about states requiring it, but cities certainly will go back and have a look at this. And I think SF prolly be the first one...SFMTA is having a hard look at the impact of TNCs...even though Mayor Lee is a booster.

18. Mikeydz

Mikeydz Member

As cabbie posted, the city gets the fee. As far as getting a pax needing a wheelchair accessible ride, Uber is rolling out UberAccess. I'm guessing any city that puts out a reg requiring equal access for the disabled (like Houston, for example) will get this. Doesn't mean as an UberX driver, you wouldn't get a ping from a disabled person, but that would be the service they would use.

chi1cabby likes this.
  19. chi1cabby

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    And a friendly note to Uber.

Make this happen in every market voluntarily, or it will be shoved down your throat! The disabled are ONE segment of the populace that you don't wanna piss off! They will demonstrate by rolling in their wheelchairs and flinging themselves into a pile in front of your offices (that is if they can find your secret little offices)! Now that won't exactly make for good publicity, will it Nairi Hourdajian?
    :rolleyes:

20. Walkersm

But Mike, Uber Access is not accessible vehicles . As far as I could tell it is cursory driver training on interacting with the handicapped. Nice name to make it seem like Uber is doing something but until they sink $20K into a modified vehicle to carry a wheelchair they are not providing accessible services. That is what they are trying to avoid.

chi1cabby likes this.