• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

2 SJC questions

itsbenbroughton

Hi all, first, why don't the airports recieve surge pricing? On Sunday when the Sharks played, all of SJ was deep red, except the airport, and the only fares I was being offered were from the airport, so I didnt want to take any of those fares...

Which leads me to part 2: SJC requires a business license to pick up pax's, which I don't have, so I don't want to go there. That being the case, I can't/won't accept those fares. Is there a way to block airport fares so your acceptance rate isn't affected?

Thanks so much

Uberbrethren

Hi, Itsbenbroughton, that's a great question. I do not know the answer, but have an additional, related question. Is it OK to drop off there if you have the usual placard and trade dress?

NASCAR1991

Hi all, first, why don't the airports recieve surge pricing? On Sunday when the Sharks played, all of SJ was deep red, except the airport, and the only fares I was being offered were from the airport, so I didnt want to take any of those fares...

Which leads me to part 2: SJC requires a business license to pick up pax's, which I don't have, so I don't want to go there. That being the case, I can't/won't accept those fares. Is there a way to block airport fares so your acceptance rate isn't affected?

Thanks so much
Airports are not allowed to surge.
(sf airport sometimes on surge but pax are not affected by it)
Uber in order to get more drivers in the area of the airport will turn surge on around the airport....but only thing that means you be getting non surge rides from the airport.

For san jose you must have license to pick up at the airport. I heard that one beeing monitored by police the most

Uberbrethren

Airports are not allowed to surge.
(sf airport sometimes on surge but pax are not affected by it)
Uber in order to get more drivers in the area of the airport will turn surge on around the airport....but only thing that means you be getting non surge rides from the airport.

For san jose you must have license to pick up at the airport. I heard that one beeing monitored by police the most
Hi NASCAR, what about dropping off? If I pick up someone in San Mateo and they want to go to the Mineta airport, is that OK or not?

NASCAR1991

Hi NASCAR, what about dropping off? If I pick up someone in San Mateo and they want to go to the Mineta airport, is that OK or not?
Dropping off is relativly simple. And if u have a their tnc green card you good within few airpoorts. But those few airports are not around here. Like santa rosa airoport..stockton one and few more.
Picking up you need to be more aware of their regulations.
But airports with curent rate is a waste of time. Unless you part time and dont care about power driver bonuses

Uberbrethren

Thanks for the response. I am guessing it is legal, i.e. you can't get fined, to drop off in San Jose. As for airport pickups, I avoid them. Judging by Uber's messaging, e.g. texts encouraging drivers to go to the staging lot, it seems like others are staying away, too. Best,

NASCAR1991

You wait in the lot for 20 ..30 min....pick someone up...lets say they going 15 miles worth. Takea you 20..30 min....you just spend an hour and that 15 miles is in san jose is around 20 bucks tops payout.
Now dont forget to bring your baby nuts back to the ariport that another 30 min...wait another 20..30 min for a ping and repaet...so now you at 2 hours and made 20 bucks.....
When it was 2.25 miles 50 cents minute thats when i was down for port rides

Uberbrethren

You wait in the lot for 20 ..30 min....pick someone up...lets say they going 15 miles worth. Takea you 20..30 min....you just spend an hour and that 15 miles is in san jose is around 20 bucks tops payout.
Now dont forget to bring your baby nuts back to the ariport that another 30 min...wait another 20..30 min for a ping and repaet...so now you at 2 hours and made 20 bucks.....
When it was 2.25 miles 50 cents minute thats when i was down for port rides
You are 100% correct. They want it to be so cheap that pax can't wait to choose Uber, but at current rates it works against the drivers' interests without surge.

Transportador

SJC sucks because of what you guys said. Plus, a lot of pax go to Santa Cruz from SJC. You are guaranteed to drive back empty, especially if it's at night. I try to avoid it, but it is too close to downtown San Jose where all the surge rides are at certain times.

itsbenbroughton

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you all are pretty much telling me what I feared about SJC, about how I need the business license and how it's not worth it anyway, but what about all those rides we don't accept? Should we be worried about our acceptance rates?

cho

SJC sucks because of what you guys said. Plus, a lot of pax go to Santa Cruz from SJC. You are guaranteed to drive back empty, especially if it's at night. I try to avoid it, but it is too close to downtown San Jose where all the surge rides are at certain times.
I would offer that Santa Cruz passenger a ride to Los Gatos and then explain that a local driver would finish the trip. More and more Riders seem game for that 2-trip deal when they realize that us drivers don't see the Final Destination when we accept a trip.

NASCAR1991

I would offer that Santa Cruz passenger a ride to Los Gatos and then explain that a local driver would finish the trip. More and more Riders seem game for that 2-trip deal when they realize that us drivers don't see the Final Destination when we accept a trip.
What if they pre paid with pool

Euius

What if they pre paid with pool
Worse, they're the first pickup and a second pickup comes in before we even see their destination.

Allofa sudden you're in Daly city with a passenger wanting to go to Palo alto, and at 2am I'm saying no and I don't care what the passenger is paying.

Then uber will zero the fare (the entire fare, both passengers) and I'll end up arging to get paid what I drove.

This no destination thing is going to come to a head at some point.

It almost happened Monday with first pickup going far south and already matched with a second pickup. If passengers hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have known.

Yomann

My understanding of the CPUC rules is, you must have a SJ business license to enter airport property.
So, that applies equally for pick ups and drop offs.
My workaround to keeping acceptance rate high is an automated text I send to pax right after accepting a request near SJC.
It states: "Due to city licensing requirements, I am unable to pick up at the airport. Please cancel and try another driver."
The answer is to have a simplified state wide system: Driver gets a business license from his city of residence, and it is valid state wide.
Will that happen, and how soon ....... ?

Transportador

So you all are pretty much telling me what I feared about SJC, about how I need the business license and how it's not worth it anyway, but what about all those rides we don't accept? Should we be worried about our acceptance rates?
I don't worry about acceptance rate unless it's below 75%. That's when it affects my ability to get the Power Driver Plus bonus. Otherwise it's meaningless.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michael Hall Deliver 3
RogerD Phoenix 11
Goduckies San Francisco 17