$2 per liter Brazil

jerseyboys

Picked a Pax from Brazil. Started talking and asked him about gas price in Brazil.

Said around $2 per liter. Which is about $6 to $7 per gallon.

Daum.

I_Like_Spam

Picked a Pax from Brazil. Started talking and asked him about gas price in Brazil.

Said around $2 per liter. Which is about $6 to $7 per gallon.

Daum.

In foreign countries, they do all sorts of crazy stuff. When I was driving a cab, I had a couple of young men from Ireland that were impressed with the fact that the cab had a 5.7 Liter engine. They had never heard of such a thing, yet they came from a civilized country.

Undermensch

Don't know what the the EV equlavalent to gallon. I'm guessing it's 160mpg or something.

I'm a big fan of EVs...

But, people will be disappointed with the cost of "fuel".

The reason is the same that people hate having electric heat: electricity delivered by the electric company is a pretty expensive form of energy.

If you compute the amount of energy used to move a Tesla Model S 300 miles you'll find that it's about 1/3 rd of the amount that is needed to move gasoline cars 300 miles.

That is amazing. Then look at how much 100 KWH of electricity costs plus, say, 20% loss in charging (anything that gets hot is not 100% efficient). In NJ we pay about 15 cents per KWH, which is $15 for 100 KWH. Add in the 20% loss and you're looking at about $18 for a "fillup" at home.

$18 for a fillip might seem great if you're driving an ineffficient car today. But if you're driving a Prius today (45 MPG) then a fillip for 300 miles would be 300/45 = 6.67 gallons which would be $16.7 for a fill at today's rough price.

So the Tesla is about the same cost to "fuel" as a Prius. Granted the Tesla is a much bigger car and it's much more efficient, but electricity is darned expensive.

In some areas it's a much better deal (less than 15 cents per KWH) and you can do neat things like charging from solar cells and what not which *might* make it cheaper than paying the electric company for electricity.

With all that being said I'm still buying one.

Gmbbody

I was in Sao Paulo Brazil in July and yes gas is expensive. All stations are full service and not open overnight. They also sell alcohol or ethanol which most cars there will run on it is much cheaper but burns much faster. Filled my rental car with alcohol before I returned it. :wink:

SuzeCB

I'm a big fan of EVs...

But, people will be disappointed with the cost of "fuel".

The reason is the same that people hate having electric heat: electricity delivered by the electric company is a pretty expensive form of energy.

If you compute the amount of energy used to move a Tesla Model S 300 miles you'll find that it's about 1/3 rd of the amount that is needed to move gasoline cars 300 miles.

That is amazing. Then look at how much 100 KWH of electricity costs plus, say, 20% loss in charging (anything that gets hot is not 100% efficient). In NJ we pay about 15 cents per KWH, which is $15 for 100 KWH. Add in the 20% loss and you're looking at about $18 for a "fillup" at home.

$18 for a fillip might seem great if you're driving an ineffficient car today. But if you're driving a Prius today (45 MPG) then a fillip for 300 miles would be 300/45 = 6.67 gallons which would be $16.7 for a fill at today's rough price.

So the Tesla is about the same cost to "fuel" as a Prius. Granted the Tesla is a much bigger car and it's much more efficient, but electricity is darned expensive.

In some areas it's a much better deal (less than 15 cents per KWH) and you can do neat things like charging from solar cells and what not which *might* make it cheaper than paying the electric company for electricity.

With all that being said I'm still buying one.
Dig up the yard and put in geothermal heat system in the house, and slap some solar panels on your roof! That may help with the added expense of all electric fuel for the car! LOL

2savage

Typically the same prices are all over Europe too. Governments control peoples movement through taxation. Gas in UK is about $8 a gallon. BUT, diesel is cheaper because trucks cannot be taxed so heavily. End result? More than 50% of ALL cars in Europe are now diesel.