1st time - long time since driving

Choochie

So I get out today with a few hours to spare and I turn on the app as I drive down the interstate. Low and behold a ping. Well I'm going east but the pick up is west, from the direction I came. So no big deal as I'm out to drive, even though I'm on my way to do some shopping but can always do it later as it is the big tax weekend. As I look at the pick up I see it is 15 minutes away & notice the pick up is at the library. Thinking to myself, okay it says 15 minutes away, well I'll do it, but I'm thinking it is a woman and a few kids coming from the library. Next I call and ask if any children under 7 and the man says no, no children. So I say "I am coming to pick you up at the library and will be there shortly". Well then tells me he is not at the library but at an apartment building and he is going to the library. Well there is a communication problem as he is Indian, with a thick accent, so I repeat that I'm going to the library and dropping him off at the apartment building and he repeats he is at the apartment building going to the library, at which point he says, should I cancel and I said yes. At which point I turned the app off. So glad I called him. Then I proceeded to go shopping.
I would not have been happy going to the pick up location only to find he was at the destination. Yeah I could have gotten the $10 but I just wasn't in the mood.
Moral of the story-sometimes it is best to call and confirm. If everything is correct tell them "I will be right along". It's not worth the trouble most of the time but if it looks suspicious, like the pin is in the middle of the highway or in this case, thinking there might be small children your best bet is to call.
No drives today! Maybe next time.

Last edited:

aparks330

ive been calling to confirm if i know its around a hospital or some busy building downtown. some of them have multiple entrances (like staff doors and such).

Choochie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You should have done the trip. Indians are known for their generous tips and they always give the driver five stars.
It just goes to show why there are sometimes "no shows". People don't have a clue how to use the app. Only 1 tip $5.00 per 3oo Indian rides. I've received 3 tips from Chinese riders. 2 were because I went to the other end of the state and deaded all the way back, that was $20 and $10 to wait while the guy went in the bank and most recently $2.00 from a fairly short rider who was very American-like. Amazing!
How about you?

Choochie

2nd day today when I tried to go out I got the F Bomb in text.
The nerve of these pax.

AshyLarry81

Funny how you keep a track of tipping from different races. I actually do the same thing!

Tips from Indians = 27%
Tips from non-Indians = 37%

If I didn't live near a college campus, I'm sure the discrepancy would be even greater.

Choochie

Funny how you keep a track of tipping from different races. I actually do the same thing!

Tips from Indians = 27%
Tips from non-Indians = 37%

If I didn't live near a college campus, I'm sure the discrepancy would be even greater.
Actually I don't. I'm just very surprised that is singed in my brain, but if I can count them on one hand then not much to remember.
Wow you do so much better than me in the tipping dept.
Are you in Northern Jersey? Used to be my territory.

Another Uber Driver

ive been calling to confirm if i know its around a hospital or some busy building downtown. some of them have multiple entrances (like staff doors and such).
This is one of the flaws of the Uber application, as well as other ride-summoning applications, be they taxi, limousine or ride-share: no field for "special pick up instructions". Evry time that I have suggested this, I get back "call or text the passenger". Rather than stop and delay my arrival to send the text/make the call, would it not be more efficient if the passenger could enter this information, I could see it upon accepting the ping and proceed sine die to the pick-up point? It does not occur to the majority of users that it might be necessary to specify entrances or business names. They think that all that is necessary is to allow the GPS to pick up their location or punch in an address and the ride materialises from thin air. I find it difficult to blame them. This is one place where the human being orfer taker is superior to the electronic order taker. You can train the human being to ask the appropriate questions. To be sure, more than one customer has expressed discontent with "all of these questions--I just want a ride". At that point, you must explain to the customer that the reason that you are asking all of these questions is to make sure that he does get his ride. Some understand. Some Rocket Scientists never get it.

I got the F Bomb in text
That will bring an immediate cancellation from me.

Choochie

That will bring an immediate cancellation from me.[/QUOTE]

Oh this was a funny one. I arrived at the address and since there was a "break-down" lane I stopped with my flashers on (appt. building on busy route). I set my timer to 5 min. as always. Instincts tell me to get over to a safer spot, as the cars are going at least 40mph, so I moved forward to the adjacent drive and make a U-turn and since the bldg. was on a side street thought perhaps the rider was in the back. So I swing around back and notice a young guy f'ing with his phone on the stoop so I think well maybe he is just enjoying fresh air since Guber alerted him of my arrival and there are no light bulbs going off from his direction as he looks at me. Rather than strike up a conversation with this miscreant, as he appears to me I stay silent.So since he has my car, my name, my picture & my tag, I assumed he is just hanging out. So I back in the shady spot (front plate still visible to him) under the tree not more than 30 feet from him, turn my car off and wait until almost the 5 minutes. All this time there is no acknowledgment from him. So I turn my car on and go back to the front and again no one is there. So I go forward in the next drive and make my U-turn but by this time the timer went off. As I make my turn I look over to the building and there is the dimwit standing in front who was in the back the whole time I sat there and he's looking at his phone, looking at me, the car and finally I see a moment of recognition on his face and as I do I immediately turn my head forward and continue to drive away. Now I get 3 phone calls, of which I am not answering and finally the text, @@@@ you _____!
I couldn't help getting a big roaring laugh out of that one.

Choochie

When getting calls from malls, hospitals, etc. I always ask what entrance; why waste valuable time and gas looking.

Another Uber Driver

When getting calls from malls, hospitals, etc. I always ask what entrance; why waste valuable time and gas looking.

I always call and ask, as well. I could save the time calling if I had the pick-up instructions when I accept the summons.

I have had more than one incident like that you just described. You pull up, the Rocket Scientist looks at you then goes back to playing with his electronic toy. You sit and wait. Finally, he looks up again, realises that he summoned a ride and that you might just be driving the vehicle that he summoned. He slowly makes his way over to you, as he glances back and forth at you and his electronic toy. He then arrives at the vehicle, looks at you, you open the window......."Is this Uber?".

NO, Rocket Scientist, this ain't no Uber, it's Armand's Pizza Waggon. Do you want Plain, Pepperoni, Sausage, Mushrooms or Green Peppers?

Choochie

Well that was a first that I was able to look into the vacant eyes and see I didn't want to drive him anyway. Usually I don't get to see the cancellations as they don't show up. Believe me there was some satisfaction in giving the boot to the bum and laughing at his expense. Well, I did have to drive there but wasn't entirely out of my way to do errands. I thought about blocking the call for a few minutes or so and then unblocking after I turned the app back on, but I was doing a scientific experiment to see how far he would take it. Don't like that he can still call whenever he wishes.

AshyLarry81

Actually I don't. I'm just very surprised that is singed in my brain, but if I can count them on one hand then not much to remember.
Wow you do so much better than me in the tipping dept.
Are you in Northern Jersey? Used to be my territory.
I'm in Central Jersey around New Brunswick most of the time, although I do turn on the app on my way to NYC once a week or so. Also, I drive only with Lyft as it's pointless to chase surges and they're more likely to tip than Uber passengers.