1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

14 years ago.....

Discussion in 'Stories' started by TimFromMA, Sep 11, 2015.

1. I know this thread isn’t about ridesharing services but given what happened 14 years ago today, I thought it would be appropriate to remember those that lost their lives at The World Trade Center, Pentagon and Shanksville, PA back on September 11, 2001.

I remember I was working in a secluded section of the office so I wasn’t immediately aware of the hell that was unfolding in downtown Manhattan. Both World Trade Center Towers had already fallen before I was even aware of what was going on.

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing on that fateful morning?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Sacto Burbs likes this.
  2. Jam Val

Jam Val

Driving:
    UberX
    I was just driving with a passenger and the radio station did a moment of silence. I couldn't help myself and tears rolled down. I think about the people. I think about the 1st responders who ran towards and into the buildings. Seems like so long ago yet just yesterday.

3. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    highway 169 headed south near county road 42 in new hope Minnesota, it was a nice sunny day.. much like today is from the looks of it. I was a courier for Quick Sliver.. I was driving a 1991 Dodge Grand Caravan with wood grain. I could not tell you anything about the day before.. or a few days later.. But I remember that morning like it was yesterday.

Given what our elected officials are up to with Iran.. I hate to say it, we'll likely have another day like 9/11 to reflect on in the future.

4. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    I ran part of a call center, on the Lynn, Ma waterfront.
    So close to Logan all we could hear were the fighter jets overhead.

Remember, we launched two of the planes.
    One of my high school classmates was on the AA plane.

5. Willzuber

Willzuber

Driving:
    Lyft
    I was headed to work. I turned on the radio to hear news reports. I took a right turn and headed to Radioshack to buy an el cheapo small TV to take to my office so I could watch the coverage. I know that at least one plane was still in the air that ended up crashing into the field or the Pentagon. It was a sad and tragic day.

Check this out (as the US prepares to fork over your tax dollars) : http://clashdaily.com/2015/04/danci...k-out-irans-reactions-to-obamas-nuclear-deal/

6. Someone I knew from a former employer was on one as well.

7. Backdash

Backdash

4 blocks away, no words...

8. Jam Val

Jam Val

Driving:
    UberX
    Holy crap. How long did it take for you to realize what was really happening?

9. DocT

DocT Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I was getting ready to go to work. Watching the morning news, then the breaking news of the 1st tower. Then the 2nd tower got hit on live TV. I was in shock as I watched it with my wife.

We lost 3 co-workers on United. A 4th was another co-worker who had to cancel his flight back to LA. He returned to LA 2 weeks later and was still in shock.

10. D Town

D Town

I was asleep in bed when my brother came pounding on the door screaming at me that we were under attack. We spent the rest of the day watching the news absolutely stunned and numb.

11. I was working in Long Island City, Queens. About 3 miles from the WTC. Let's just say I could see the smoke in the sky and smell the aftermath in the air.

12. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    I was living in North Attleboro, MA. I woke up as I had to go to the Marine recruiters station in Providence, I was leaving for bootcamp soon. I turned on the TV and not 2 minutes later all hell broke loose. Recruiter called me immediately and told me not to come on. My ship date got pushed to November 6th.

13. ATX 22

ATX 22

Working on an interior finish out on the UT campus. Heard about it from another crew leader who arrived later in the morning than me. We normally couldn't have radios playing on site, but the superintendent made an exception so we could stay informed. Saw the first images when I went to lunch.

14. GuyRye

GuyRye

Driving:
    UberX
    I was in my dorm getting ready for class during my freshman year in college. Thought it was a movie when I turned it on at first. Then the second plane hit and that was how the rest of my day was spent. Like someone said earlier, I couldnt tell you anything that happened the day before or the day after. Still gives me chills to watch shows on 9/11.

15. AshyLarry

AshyLarry

Driving:
    Lyft
    I was a college student in midtown Manhattan trying to sleep through the blaring sirens of firetrucks and police cars (and getting annoyed at them before knowing what had happened). When I finally got out of bed, I went to my computer and I found out about the terrorist attacks through AOL instant messenger. I then walked outside and saw huge billowing smoke coming from the direction of the WTC. At the time, the towers had already collapsed. Seemed like everyone in Manhattan that day stopped what they were doing on the streets and just watched the horrors that were unfolding before their eyes. Crazy to think that I was actually at the towers just the day before.

16. Sacto Burbs

Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    I was at a dim sum restaurant having dinner in Hong Kong. Someone at the table got a text and told us, and I thought - thousands died in a recent flood in the Philippines and a little Sessna hits a building in New York and the media has a fit. Saw the truth when I went home that night. Got drunk for the first time in 20 years, but it didn't help.

17. Jose_A

Jose_A

Driving:
    UberXL
    I was in PE class in Santiago, Chile. I remember them announcing it when we got back to our classroom. I was 8 and in 3rd grade.

18. Chicago-uber

Chicago-uber

I was off that day. My dad called me and told me that a plane hit a building in New York. I turned on TV and the newsman said that a 2nd plane just hit another building. It was surreal watching both buildings collapse.

19. I was getting ready to start a new job. I got laid off in the .com crash the day after Memorial Day in 2001. After a few months of looking I got another job and was scheduled to start on Tuesday 9/12/2001. Having been "off" for a bit I'd been getting up in time to get to work the past few days so I was up early on 9/11 and didn't have much to do aside from some ironing. I got up, had breakfast, showered, etc. and turned on the TV in time to see the initial reports of the first plane crashing into the World Trade Center. I didn't get much ironing done. I pretty much spent the whole day watching the news. I started my new job the next day as scheduled, but ended up waiting around for a while since the HR person I was supposed to meet with when I got there wasn't sure if the building was open or if she was supposed to go to work. They had evacuated and gone home on 9/11.

20. Sorry to open this up a bit late. I was in third or fourth grade, living in Smokey Point, WA. I had just gotten up to go to school and my dad (who usually got up early afternoon to go to work) was up just staring dumbfounded at the TV, and when I asked what happened, he wouldn't answer me and just told me to be quiet and go catch the bus to school. I don't remember anything else from my elementary years, but this sticks out.