1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

13 Tips in a Row!

Discussion in 'Boston' started by nj2bos, Jul 17, 2018.

1. nj2bos

nj2bos Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of airport runs for a few days at Logan (to/from) and got a few good scheduled rides in between. Hit a milestone of 13 tips in a row before the streak was broken by some millennial cheap ass who complained about me taking 90W instead of Storrow. Oh well, the extra $8 in mileage WAS my tip I guess.

Somehow I got lucky with a bunch of cool pax in a row. Good convos and business travelers.

Attached Files:

• L1.jpg
      L1.jpg
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
    • L2.jpg
      L2.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Hugh J

Hugh J Well-Known Member

Another "post your earnings" showcase

BostonAnonymous likes this.
  3. Jumpin Jim

Jumpin Jim Active Member

Being good at pulling in tips obviously boosts profits. I doubt it's just luck on your part. Tips account for about 10% of my revenues and I'd like it to go higher. What advice do you have?

bostonwolf, Arb Watson and nj2bos like this.
  4. nj2bos

nj2bos Well-Known Member

Honestly all I do is ask, "How was the flight?" and "Traveling from anywhere far?" on every one of airport pickups and the pax almost always starts talking and takes it from there.. describing their delays, their vacation, venting about excessive business travel, etc. I think being able to vent to the driver makes them feel better so they tip as a thank you, lol. If they're silent, I let them be. I always offer to help with bags. Beyond that, I just say "have a great night" and onto the next one.

Also airport pax tip about 75-80% of the time from what I've seen. Just gotta find out what time is best at the airport and go all-in. Logan has one or two times out of the week where you'll get lots of pings, little to no wait, and frequent surge.

Don't have a tip jar either, I think that scares people away tbh.. or encourages people to just drop in a folded up $1 single or something instead of a $5 or $10 via the app.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    BostonTaxiDriver and bostonwolf like this.
  5. ubermaster5000

ubermaster5000 Well-Known Member

Set the tone before they do and don't force a conversation onto them but don't shy away from one either. If your passenger is a narcissist then stroke their ego.

GoGreen and nj2bos like this.
  6. BostonTaxiDriver

BostonTaxiDriver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Impressive, but a pax the other night complained about his driver taking the Pike from Logan to East Cambridge. He reported him and gave a bad rating. I took the Sumner to O'Brien Highway.

This explains my low earnings as an Uber and taxi driver. I drive the cheapest route.

nj2bos likes this.
  7. nj2bos

nj2bos Well-Known Member

Yeah that is weird for that destination! I learned the hard way when I started doing Logan pickups that sometimes Waze wants me to take 90W to exit 24, then to get on 93N from there. It adds a few miles but out of the three times I've done this, I got called out every time.

8. BostonTaxiDriver

Driving:
    Lyft
    But, but...

With upfront pricing, the pax pays the same. Right? RIGHT? I've always doubted this, at least after some semi-major variation on the proposed Uber route. But, it seems most pax believe or had believed any route is fine, as the price is set.

But with more and more experienced riders nowadays, it seems many have caught on and will demand a direct route. Otherwise, they'll rate you low and possibly file a complaint.

But when the TWT or Sumner is closed overnight (it does happen), you'll be rerouted. Is that reroute enough to trigger a higher price to pax? It should always (?) mean more earnings for the driver, as rates for mileage and time increase. But I'm not sure how much of a route variance will trigger an increase to the pax.

Does anybody really know?

Will driving 93 south to exits 8 or 9, instead of exit 12 for North Quincy or Wollaston trigger a price increase to the pax? Or is that route deviation considered within reason to Uber? As in, driver gets more money but pax pays the upfront price -- as long as the trip doesn't deviate onto route 3 and into Weymouth before heading into Quincy?

Should we always report a big detour due to construction to Uber, just to avoid a permanent complaint or an earnings reduction?

nj2bos likes this.
  9. elcentro20

elcentro20 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Wollaston always exit 11 for me, cutting over using Squantum St is the same time and 2 more miles.

Quincy Center everything will always be Rt 3 to Burgin Connector.

No price recalculations ever.

East Cambridge via the Pike and backtracking through Mem. is pushing it though.

10. BostonTaxiDriver

Driving:
    Lyft
    Downtown to Oak Square? Pike to exit 17 in Newton? That is ridiculous -- but I had a few taxi pax request that. I believe it bumps up the meter big time. I take exit 20 up Cambridge Street.

Again, all reasons why I don't earn much

11. Mr.UberUber

Mr.UberUber Well-Known Member

When they close the Govt. Center/93N exit in the Sumner I always avoid the backup on McClellan highway and take the Teddy to exit 24/93N. I tell the pax the situation and they are always ok with it and appreciate the heads up. Taking Leverett Circle and going surface roads back to 93N near Somerville is the worst.

BostonTaxiDriver and nj2bos like this.
  12. scamp

scamp Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    With all the lights and traffic on Cambridge St, it can be faster to take Exit 17 instead.

Before upfront pricing, I used to ask PAX if they had a preferred route. Now I just start heading via route that will maximize miles without adding any real time. Going highway at night is always my preferred route than cutting thru Somerville, Cambridge city streets, for one example.

Tysmith95, nj2bos and Brian G. like this.
  13. Brian G.

Brian G. Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I used to like to talk a lot but now I hardly say much. I just drive and collect. I still get about 5-10% to tip from small talk to no talk. I prefer my radio on low and a quite pax. Back in my Newton cabbie days I spoke the white off rice and made a killing on tips though.

nj2bos likes this.
  14. elcentro20

elcentro20 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Pike to Washington St. or Storrow. Storrow is better to much of Brighton because the curves by Harvard Stadium add 2 miles.

Pax don't care as long as you don't waste time.

If I pick up in Brighton I'll go down Market St and get on Soldiers Field by Western Ave to add 2 miles. If I'm out by Oak Sq down Washington to the Pike.

15. Conporbos

Conporbos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Oak Sq is only a mile from the Newton Corner highway access. Why is that ridiculous?

Tysmith95 likes this.
  16. jazzapt

jazzapt Well-Known Member

I've always wondered how tolls affect upfront pricing. We all know that Rt 1a is the only way to get to the airport without a toll. Since I am on the North Shore, all of my airport trips bring me down 1a eventually. But if I wanted to long haul to the airport, the only ways I can think of require going through tolls.

So if the upfront price didn't take into account a route with a toll, I have always wondered if the toll cause a recalculation.

17. Mr.UberUber

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Upfront pricing" IS NOT "Guaranteed pricing" for the pax. This is one of the biggest misconceptions there is amongst drivers since upfront pricing was rolled out. Below is from the rider FAQ section. It clearly states their upfront price may not be honored.

SmartSelect_20180717-151648_Chrome.jpg

BostonTaxiDriver likes this.
  18. LyftinUp

LyftinUp Active Member

I drove a guy to Keene NH out of MAnchester NH

Uber quotes approx $90 for this trip depending on the actual part of town you’re going.

Quoted route as shown by the highlights in the pax app is 57 miles.

But Waze took me up 93 to 89, to rte 9. A 70 mile trip. But the most efficient route for this time of day.

Now Uber pays to us 75% of the posted time distance rate right?

My payout was 79.50 | pax still paid 91.

So my question is: what is the threshold that dictates a change in upfront fare?

Attached Files:

19. smooth ride

smooth ride Active Member

Which one did you prefer, the taxi or ride sharing?

20. Mr.UberUber

The threshold is going to vary depending on initial trip request. Who knows for sure on a longer trip like that but I can tell you when I tested it with a friend trying a minimum fare trip, I only had to go a few miles over the original request drop spot for it to make an adjustment. The adjustment never reflected within my driver app for what the pax paid. But my friend received an email almost 24 hours later with an adjusted fare and the difference was deducted from his account at that time.

BostonTaxiDriver likes this.