• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

$12 Guarantee ---> $3 Cancellation fee

dlearl476

Well, that was like pulling hen's teeth. Took about 10 back and forth chats, but I finally got $3.

image.jpeg

Jus as I was about to log off yesterday, I got a $12 offer 10 miles away. I was up for a drive so I accepted it. I get to the restaurant and WTF? it's not open on Sunday. I hit "Restaurant Closed" then Cancel Delivery (like a fool). At least I had the foresight to open Google Maps and take a screenshot of the time stamp and my location at the restaurant. I call support and of course get the R/S support, as I'm not currently on a delivery.

They responded with a long back and forth today asking for detail (which they know I don't have because the app deletes it when you cancel) and telling me the order was cancelled, I didn't go to pick up, etc. my input included sending them the Google Maps screenshot, telling them the restaurant and time, accusing them of being dishonest by withholding trip information, and telling them to GFTS.

Finally, I got $3. I guess "guarantee" means something different in Uber. In the future if this happens, I've half a mind to "Start Delivery" drive to the drop off location, and hit "Delivered."

Moral of the story: Screenshots. BEFORE you cancel, take screenshots of the Trip Detail, GPS screen, and Waybill, because all that goes away when you cancel, and it's the only leg you have to stand on with support.

Invisible

Good thing you at least got the $3.

My area only gives me $1 when I was sent to a closed restaurant; use to be more.

dlearl476

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good thing you at least got the $3.

My area only gives me $1 when I was sent to a closed restaurant; use to be more.
Yeah, but it worked out to about 50¢/hr with the time is spent driving and the time I spent responding to support They denied the cancellation fee 3 times before they gave it to me.

The funniest was the first reponse was that they were denying a fee because I didn't go to pick up...in reponse to my f-Ing screenshot of the Google map image of me AT the restaurant. :p

Launchpad McQuack

Moral of the story: Screenshots. BEFORE you cancel, take screenshots of the Trip Detail, GPS screen, and Waybill, because all that goes away when you cancel, and it's the only leg you have to stand on with support.
Never cancel in the app if you want to get paid. If the restaurant is closed and you want to get paid, call Rohit while you are at the restaurant and tell him you just arrived at the restaurant and it is closed. It is usually a pretty painless call, and they almost always pay you the $3 cancellation fee without putting up any resistance. If you feel like killing some time, you can also argue with Rohit about how you were promised at least $12 when you accepted the request and that is why you drove 10 miles to the restaurant and you wouldn't have accepted it if you weren't promised $12 and it's not right that they promised you $12 and now are only paying you $3. None of that will get you anywhere, but sometimes it's fun to yell at Rohit..........respectfully. I never cuss them out or call them names or anything like that because I realize that they are just doing the job that they are paid to do, same as me. I do, on occasion, firmly but politely express my disgust with their business practices, though.

dlearl476

Never cancel in the app if you want to get paid. If the restaurant is closed and you want to get paid, call Rohit while you are at the restaurant and tell him you just arrived at the restaurant and it is closed. It is usually a pretty painless call, and they almost always pay you the $3 cancellation fee without putting up any resistance. If you feel like killing some time, you can also argue with Rohit about how you were promised at least $12 when you accepted the request and that is why you drove 10 miles to the restaurant and you wouldn't have accepted it if you weren't promised $12 and it's not right that they promised you $12 and now are only paying you $3. None of that will get you anywhere, but sometimes it's fun to yell at Rohit..........respectfully. I never cuss them out or call them names or anything like that because I realize that they are just doing the job that they are paid to do, same as me. I do, on occasion, firmly but politely express my disgust with their business practices, though.
FWIW, GFYS is a compliment in my book. If I could @@@@ myself, I surely wouldn't be wasting time driving UE :biggrin:

PS: Yeah, I know. But it was actually my first "restaurant closed" order so I wasn't thinking clearly. My usual cancellation fee is for customer cancellations.

CZ75

Finally, I got $3. I guess "guarantee" means something different in Uber. In the future if this happens, I've half a mind to "Start Delivery" drive to the drop off location, and hit "Delivered."
It's possible fraud? Certainly a case where Uber could deactivate so only do it if you're looking to get off the platform. If you want to pull this off don't mark delivered, use the other options. There's a cancel option of something along the lines of "unable to secure drop off location" or something like that.

You could also just play the phone and wait out the timer. Up to you. I wouldn't mark it as delivered because that's a customer that will dispute it. Can't really dispute the fact that you attempted to contact, maybe put your phone in a faraday cage while the 8min. is running, and well: no customer. Damn gotta cancel and eat my invisible food.

This is the algo being scummy with you. Bait you for $12 and it's probably trying to verify that it's actually closed. I wonder how many drivers they send before it cancels the Eats order?

Invisible

Yeah, but it worked out to about 50¢/hr with the time is spent driving and the time I spent responding to support They denied the cancellation fee 3 times before they gave it to me.

The funniest was the first reponse was that they were denying a fee because I didn't go to pick up...in reponse to my f-Ing screenshot of the Google map image of me AT the restaurant. :p
.50 cents a hour is a lot in some countries, like Ethiopia.

It’s not surprising they couldn’t see you were there from your screenshot because the support personnel are not analytical thinkers after all. I’ve received some responses that never make sense.

dlearl476

.50 cents a hour is a lot in some countries, like Ethiopia.

It’s not surprising they couldn’t see you were there from your screenshot because the support personnel are not analytical thinkers after all. I’ve received some responses that never make sense.
3 of the messages from Rohit were the canned "Thank you for contacting support, We value your input blah, blah, blah Please include date, time, Restarant ne se, etc." After I'd already sent it once
Post automatically merged:

It's possible fraud? Certainly a case where Uber could deactivate so only do it if you're looking to get off the platform. If you want to pull this off don't mark delivered, use the other options. There's a cancel option of something along the lines of "unable to secure drop off location" or something like that.

You could also just play the phone and wait out the timer. Up to you. I wouldn't mark it as delivered because that's a customer that will dispute it. Can't really dispute the fact that you attempted to contact, maybe put your phone in a faraday cage while the 8min. is running, and well: no customer. Damn gotta cancel and eat my invisible food.

This is the algo being scummy with you. Bait you for $12 and it's probably trying to verify that it's actually closed. I wonder how many drivers they send before it cancels the Eats order?
FWIW, "half a mind" means I'm not really considering. They would probably deactivate me fo doing that, and they would be justified for doing so.

Launchpad posted to correct response: Call support when you get to the closed restaurant and get your lousy $3. I takes a few of those to balance out the odd $20 tip you get.