11 Things That Can Get You Deactivated As An Uber Driver

Ben To

11 Things That Can Get You Deactivated As An Uber Driver

#1: Safety Issues
Any time you put a passenger’s safety, or even your own safety at risk, you will be deactivated. So if you’re out driving passengers around drunk, molesting/harassing passengers or just a maniac on the road, you’re going to get deactivated.

Passengers won’t always leave comments for their drivers after the ride is over, but you bet if you put the passenger’s life at risk, they are going to let Uber know about it. Additionally, any type of comments related to safety will get flagged/reviewed by Uber staff so expect a swift and quick deactivation if you do anything dumb like drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

#2: Low Ratings
There are plenty of problems with Uber’s rating system but at the end of the day, it does do a decent job of getting rid of drivers who are not up to par. According to Uber, the average driver rating is 4.8 and if you fall below 4.6, you will be deactivated. However, you can pay for a customer service class to get reinstated and given a second chance.

Uber does not do a very good job of providing feedback about your rating, but more often than not, a low rating has something to do with poor navigation skills. New drivers are given some slack on their rating, but it’s best to tackle this problem before your rating starts to drop.

I also recommend that drivers take rides as a passenger so they can experience the app from the customer’s point of view, and we also have ample resources available here if you’d like to educate yourself.

#3: Promoting Competitor’s Services (Including Your Own)
At one point in 2014, drivers were getting deactivated (or at least threatened with deactivation) for this. But due to recent W2 vs 1099 issues, Uber has become a lot more lenient with issues like this. The most common thing that I saw drivers getting deactivated for was passing out Lyft referral cards to Uber passengers. I don’t think Uber has a problem with you promoting other services like Doordash or Airbnb, but Lyft is obviously a direct competitor so they don’t like that.

I actually reached out to an Uber customer service rep about this and he gave me an interesting answer. Here’s the question I asked and the answer I got. It would seem to imply that Uber probably doesn’t want drivers promoting Lyft but they may not be deactivating drivers for this anymore.

You can’t always trust the answers you get from Uber’s CS reps but this seems to imply that drivers won’t be deactivated for promoting competitors.

#4: Giving Too Many Rides To Friends, Family or Yourself
On the surface, this may seem innocent enough but behind the scenes, Uber is fighting a constant battle against fraud. They even have a team at HQ that looks for and deactivates drivers and passengers who are caught taking advantage of the system.

Some drivers use friends, family and even their own passenger account to meet ride minimums during guarantee hours or even just to stay active on the platform. It depends on the severity of the infraction but Uber could deactivate you for doing something like this.

A one off ride to your friend or family member probably won’t be a problem, but a pattern or system of rides is how you’ll get caught since Uber uses algorithms to check for fraud, and then a human reviews each case.

#5: Updated Background Check
This is a tough reason to get deactivated but it’s happening more and more these days as certain states/cities impose new regulations that require Uber to go back and run more stringent background checks.

I’ve gotten several e-mails from drivers across the country who were active drivers with thousands of rides under their belt, but they were suddenly deactivated due to Uber processing an updated background check. There’s not a whole lot you can do in this situation other than try to keep a clean driving and criminal record (even after you become an Uber driver).

#6 Low Acceptance/High Cancellation Rates
Uber now includes a section about acceptance and cancellation rates in their deactivation policy. However, the wording on this is pretty vague. The policy states that each city has their own maximum cancellation rate, and that consistently not accepting rides will lead to a temporary deactivation. They don’t say what a good acceptance rate is or how long the deactivation will last.

I’d recommend trying to keep an acceptance rate above 80-90% and a cancellation rate below 10%. Most of Uber’s incentive programs (Power Driver Plus, Guaranteed Hourly Fares) specifically require these rates. So, it is in your best interest to stay near these numbers.

#7 Not Giving At Least One Ride Per Month
The new deactivation policy does not mention a ride requirement, but they have ‘temporarily deactivated’ drivers for this in the past. This requirement is straightforward and easy. To keep your account active simply give at least one ride every month. Also, Uber gives plenty of warning about this type of deactivation and they make it easy to get back on the road if you’re kicked for inactivity.

#8: Speaking Out Against Uber
To be fair, I’ve only heard of one instance of this happening (and the driver was re-instated eventually) but in today’s day and age of social media, you always have to be careful with what you say.

Even if you’re posting in a private Facebook group, just assume that anyone could read what you write. Now that doesn’t mean you should censor what you say, but just understand that businesses don’t like having negative things said about them.

Obviously it’s ridiculous for a driver to be deactivated over a tweet and I doubt Uber would ever do this again, but if you really are causing a lot of trouble for a company on social media, that could affect their image and, in turn, your status with the company.

#9: Having Someone Else In Your Car
There is literally not a single situation in which you can ever have another person (other than your passenger) in your car while driving. I totally understand why some drivers would feel more comfortable or safer with a second person in the car but from a rider’s point of view, this is not acceptable.

There are no exceptions to this rule and if a passenger leaves feedback or an Uber employee happens to take a ride in your car, you will be deactivated immediately. If you don’t feel comfortable driving by yourself, I have some tips for you in this video.

#10: Canceling on Airport Passenger Like Me
After my Ireland trip, I landed at LAX and called an UberX from the airport and as soon as the driver accepted my request, I got a text asking for some information. The text actually seemed pretty legit but shortly after texting back, the ride was cancelled.

I can only assume that since my destination was ‘only 15 minutes away’, this driver cancelled on me because it wasn’t far enough. Can’t say I blame him but I can also tell you that this makes Uber look very, very bad. I didn’t report this driver to Uber but I’m sure that a future passenger did.

Some drivers do this though, and if Uber finds out, you will be deactivated. It’s not that hard for them to figure out what you’re doing either, since it only takes 1-2 pax to report you and then you’re done.

#11: Switching Vehicles
This seems pretty obvious to me but I’ve gotten e-mails from several drivers who were deactivated for driving different vehicles than what was listed on their account. There are lots of reasons why this may happen but keep in mind that passengers can see which vehicle is supposed to arrive and they’ll obviously be thinking ‘WTF?’ if you pick them up in a different car.

If you have multiple vehicles that you’d like to use, then a simple solution is to just get them added on to your account. Uber is even offering free vehicle inspections in most cities these days if you’d like to add another vehicle.

Soliciting Tips From Passengers
As of April 2016, Uber drivers can now post a sign encouraging passengers to tip. This is the result of theclass action lawsuit in California which Uber has settled. The settlement must still be approved by a judge, but Uber has clarified this policy.

Before this settlement some drivers were threatened with deactivation for soliciting tips from riders. The good news is there is growing support for tipping drivers.

Personally, I don’t ever bring up tipping unless the passenger does, but I think drivers should be free to talk about whatever the hell they want. If a driver truly is soliciting tips from every passenger, I suspect his/her rating will eventually reflect that, and they’ll be kicked off the platform for low ratings.

“It’s not against our policy, but we reserve the right to assess situations on a case-by-case basis to ensure a positive rider experience.”

This isn’t a full list of all the reasons drivers can get deactivated for, but it is some of the most common situations I’ve seen in my experience dealing with thousands of drivers. Are there any other common situations you’ve seen drivers get deactivated for that were obvious to you but maybe not so obvious to others? Please share your feedback in the comments section below.

naplestom75

#12. Soliciting other drivers to use the app for logistics and then negotiating your own fare off the app.

dumbdriver

why are we not allowed to hire and have with us and armed onboard security guard to prevent us from getting either Robbed, shot, car jacked, even possibly by another Uber driver really?

Strange Fruit

Even if you’re posting in a private Facebook group, just assume that anyone could read what you write. Now that doesn’t mean you should censor what you say, but just understand that businesses don’t like having negative things said about them.

Obviously it’s ridiculous for a driver to be deactivated over a tweet and I doubt Uber would ever do this again, but if you really are causing a lot of trouble for a company on social media, that could affect their image and, in turn, your status with the company.
That's hate speech????? It's like a logical conclusion. The two are practically identical activities as far as safety is concerned. Hell, he could have even meant they're both pretty safe, but Uber isn't much safer. And it's true. They both involve being on the dangerous roads often, but Uber has the edge that passengers aren't as anonymous, and therefore less likely to hurt you. I've said way more critical things on this forum, though never "hate", as hate is something quite different than a negative observation, such as Uber is not safe", which it isn't, but a little safer than a taxi, due to that anonymity thing. and hopefully crazy drivers get rated off the system, whereas taxi drivers are notoriously nuts, in SF at least. And what's the point of deactivating this one guy, like he's really a danger to Uber's image. And if they sincerely feel threatened, how much worse will he be now that you've hurt him and motivated retribution? He may post actual hate speech now.
I searched "deactivate + bad + Uber" because I was looking for instances of people getting deactivated for "bad mouthing" Uber on social media, because of a conversation elsewhere in the SF forum today. That's why I saw this post today. This was the only example I found after 30 minutes of searching, aside from the Seattle guy who was leading a rebellion*, not just using 'hate speech' on social media. That actually makes sense to hurt that guy (strategically speaking, I think it's a horrible abuse of power, but social/economic power over morality is the norm in human relations, so lets be real about the topic).
Someone said there are lots of people deactivated for saying things on social media, and mentioned a post about someone saying something on Facebook and getting deactivated for it. I searched "deactivate + Facebook" and found nothing good. I was skeptical because of how much criticism and out right hate speech is on this forum. And how often I see humans use self justifying blame rather than facing actual reasons. So I can easily imagine many people claim this happened to them when the real reason was their own fault and they'd rather say it was something unfair like this. And they may even believe it since Uber support responses are often uninformative
It's surprising the one case I found, was this one, where they actually were up front about it in an email, and it was for the least hateful speech possible. There isn't one shade of emotion in the sentence quoted. Funny how the reply about permanent deactivation also said "UBER on", and "refer your friends".

Uber self driving car just went by my window. They are usually other state's license plates. I'm in CA and this car is from PA. How fun to operate those vehicles across country. I guess they just ride, not operate most of the time, but the paid trip would be fun. I would love to do that for awhile.

*Uptight people, I'm being silly, not seriously calling it that

soupergloo may find this interesting. The conversation I mentioned above got me thinking about this. Really curious about the truth of the matter. It seems they're higher ups with that power, would be smarter, and I think it's a really dumb PR strategy, since deactivating may chill future speech from other drivers (though that didn't work since anyone can see this forum), but it certainly won't quiet the one they deactivated. And the press has already said this particular phrase several times, so why single out one among the thousands. That's like taking care of your ant problem by standing over the hole in the wall and smashing them one by one.

ShadyBrady

I almost got deactivated after 3weeks to a month
I didn't drive at all for the first half of 2015, since it was dead after season. Uber sent me an email every 2-3 weeks telling me they missed me and hoped that I'd be back on the road soon.

uberboy48

I didn't drive at all for the first half of 2015, since it was dead after season. Uber sent me an email every 2-3 weeks telling me they missed me and hoped that I'd be back on the road soon.
Maybe some drivers there more on there ass than others