1099 are wrong

I just got my 1099 which shows $8000 more than I got paid according to my bank deposits. I am at uber greenlight and they told me they are not tax professionals and their system is down so they can't look up my account. The 1099^s are the gross pay including what they deducted for their fees. You will have to go back to your bank statements to find
all your feposits to find your real income.

steveK2016

The Gross Pay they show on your 1099 is for all amounts collected by Uber for everything you did related to Uber. This includes Booking Fees and Uber's 25% Fees.

Section 1a of the 1099 states that is the "Gross amount of payment card/third party network transactions" So that number includes both of the fees I mentioned above.

I've noticed that between these two Uber is actually keeping 43% of what they collect from the Pax. With it being that much, I can see why you are wonder why its showing you $8000 more than you have deposits.

You can either do the math yourself through the month statements, but I received a Yearly Summary that shows the booking fees and commission fees for the year. I'll definitely be double checking all those numbers, but if you do not see this yearly summary, ask support for it.

Atom guy

Go to your Uber account online and print out Tax summary. It will show you your gross earnings like the 1099, but also show you Uber's total fees and your Uber mileage from the app (way lower that what you really drove) and your gas card total if you use it. You get to deduct your mileage and the Uber fee on your taxes to reduce your taxable income.

Dammit Mazzacane

That is awesome that you kept track of the deposits. That is your net gross. This is where you deduct all your vehicle and business expense. Way too many people depend on Uber for that information.

Excellent point. I'll go crosscheck this one before filing taxes. The deposits from Uber are from Uber San Francisco and RASIER LLC. There might be a third one in the mix too.

hulksmash

You must subtract booking fees, safe ride fees, Uber fees, airport, split fares, etc from the gross from the 1099k. Whatever is left from that plus your 1099 misc should match up with your bank deposits. It may still be off slightly since there are also instant pay fees not accounted for in the tax summary and not showing up in your deposits.

hulksmash

If you drive Lyft they only include the commission in the gross fares, not all that other stuff that pax pays that you don't see.

Dmytro

In January 2016 I received from Uber on my bank account the amount of $ 1318.1. But in the form of 1099K Uber wrote that I have earned the amount of $1813.9! They are there at all crazy? 38% is the fees?! My fees to Uber is 20% only. Where are 18% more? And this is without payment of taxes !!!! After taxes my income is less than 50% ?! Now I understand why a number of Lyft company drivers is growing ! Uber cheating the IRS and drivers !!!!!
I stop working with Uber !!!! My rate was 4.82 and more than 70000 miles ....

I will complain about it to the IRS !!!

Now I will be working exclusively with the LYFT company

hulksmash

In January 2016 I received from Uber on my bank account the amount of $ 1318.1. But in the form of 1099K Uber wrote that I have earned the amount of $1813.9! They are there at all crazy? 38% is the fees?! My fees to Uber is 20% only. Where are 18% more? And this is without payment of taxes !!!! After taxes my income is less than 50% ?! Now I understand why a number of Lyft company drivers is growing ! Uber cheating the IRS and drivers !!!!!
I stop working with Uber !!!! My rate was 4.82 and more than 70000 miles ....

I will complain about it to the IRS !!!

Now I will be working exclusively with the LYFT company
They aren't cheating you of anything. The amounts in the 1099k include the 25% or 20% commission plus booking fees, airport, etc. All of it is deductible and is all in the yearly summary . Read my earlier post

Dmytro

They aren't cheating you of anything. The amounts in the 1099k include the 25% or 20% commission plus booking fees, airport, etc. All of it is deductible and is all in the yearly summary . Read my earlier post
20% plus 18% other fees? No, it still cheated. Because no one can verify where and to whom paid my money! Why not have these fees in the Lyft? When you reach a certain level of income increases the cost of many things! Why should I move into the category of the rich, if in fact I earn a lot less! So you can write that I have earned a million, but 990,000 paid for various fees. Everything considered Gross Income. Uber said my gross income is much higher. Almost half! But this is not true. In this case the profitability of the driver in the Lyft company is half higher because there are no incomprehensible fees and commissions.
Uber positions itself not as a taxi service. Why it pays fees instead of me! I myself can pay all the necessary fees! I pay for a license as a contractor, why uber paying fees instead of me? Because that's veiled scheme collecting of a large part of earned money of drivers and evade taxation!

Last edited:

shiftydrake

I will complain about it to the IRS !!
Go ahead.......IRS this Uber stole from me and I am complaining to you..........IRS :if you thought they were stealing from you why did you continue to log on?..........

You:well I didn't realize cuz I was making soooooo little money and kept chasing them pennies.....................IRS:..laughing dumbass

jp300h

20% plus 18% other fees? No, it still cheated. Because no one can verify where and to whom paid my money! Why not have these fees in the Lyft? When you reach a certain level of income increases the cost of many things! Why should I move into the category of the rich, if in fact I earn a lot less! So you can write that I have earned a million, but 990,000 paid for various fees. Everything considered Gross Income. Uber said my gross income is much higher. Almost half! But this is not true. In this case the profitability of the driver in the Lyft company is half higher because there are no incomprehensible fees and commissions.
Uber positions itself not as a taxi service. Why it pays fees instead of me! I myself can pay all the necessary fees! I pay for a license as a contractor, why uber paying fees instead of me? Because that's veiled scheme collecting of a large part of earned money of drivers and evade taxation!
You're getting your panties in a wad for nothing. And your $1,000,000 example is a bad one. Gross income means nothing in terms of taxes... ADJUSTED gross income does. Your adjusted gross income is the one after the legal and necessary deductions. So your $million example has an ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME of $10,000. The $10,000 number is what your tax bracket and taxes paid are based on.

Stav53

Go to your Uber account online and print out Tax summary. It will show you your gross earnings like the 1099, but also show you Uber's total fees and your Uber mileage from the app (way lower that what you really drove) and your gas card total if you use it. You get to deduct your mileage and the Uber fee on your taxes to reduce your taxable income.
Thanks a lot for your insight! I was wondering myself what the heck was going on.
It looks like the 2017 tax summary is not yet out for us south Florida folks. I can only see Jan to April 2017 for now. They say before January 31. Will see

For Lyft it’s much more simple. In the Lyft driver app, go to dashboard, scroll down to tax information then under Lyft driving summary you’ll be able to see the breakdown . For once I can say “thanks Lyft “...

MandoMan

Going

Do I need to be online on a computer to access my Uber tax info ? I can’t find any 2017 tax info on my Uber account here with my smartphone

Oscar Levant

I just got my 1099 which shows $8000 more than I got paid according to my bank deposits. I am at uber greenlight and they told me they are not tax professionals and their system is down so they can't look up my account. The 1099^s are the gross pay including what they deducted for their fees. You will have to go back to your bank statements to find
all your feposits to find your real income.
Take the difference between what Uber says you earned, and what you actually earned as stated in your bank account, take that figure and enter it as "sales commission paid" on your tax form, it will be on the P/L tax form. Keep track of your actual receipts and most banks have them online.

uberdriver2020

You must subtract booking fees, safe ride fees, Uber fees, airport, split fares, etc from the gross from the 1099k. Whatever is left from that plus your 1099 misc should match up with your bank deposits. It may still be off slightly since there are also instant pay fees not accounted for in the tax summary and not showing up in your deposits.
Thank you for the answer.