$108,000 Speeding ticket.

FLKeys

I have a friend in the St. Louis, MO area that drivers Uber and Lyft full-time. He was the one who encouraged me to drive for Lyft in addition to Uber when I first started driving. Of course he got his driver bonus for giving me his code.

He was in Minnesota late 2019 and got popped going 99 in a 70 MPH zone. Paid the ticket right there on the side of the road to the Deputy, $120 fine. I thought that was strange but apparently it is all legit.

Last week he got deactivated form Lyft for a driving record issue. Last night he got deactivated from Uber for a driving issue. That $120 ticket just cost him @ $108,000 as he makes about $36,000 per year driving for Lyft/Uber.

He can not drive for either company for 3 years now from the date of the ticket. Ouch.

At least he has been working on an exit plan. In the past 3 years he has bought 4 rental properties, fully renovated them himself and turned them into positive cash flow. First two were short therm Airbnb rentals, the second two are long term rentals. Today he is out searching for a 5th property to renovate and turn into a 3rd Airbnb rental, better money in the Airbnb rentals than long term rentals.

Trafficat

Paying the ticket by mail (or apparently on the spot) is the dumbest move ever. Probably counts as reckless driving with that speed or has equivalent points as far as insurance is concerned. If he took it to court he probably could have bargained it down to simple speeding offense that would have required 3 tickets to be deactivating.

Maybe he was hoping the deputy would pocket the $120 and not report the ticket. I don't know about MO but here in NV the officers are often making 6 figure salaries. On transparent Nevada website, some are making over $300K in salary (https://transparentnevada.com/salaries/search/?q=police+officer&y=). $120 is pocket change to them.

That said, it only really cost him $108K if he cannot get any other job for the next 3 years.

I'm surprised the fine is only $120. Here it is $200 for 1-10 mph over the limit.

Last edited:

Invisible

29 over, wow!!! That speeding ticket doesn’t seem that high for his high speed.

Around 1991, was crossing into WI from MN, by Hudson, WI. I was following the other 3-4 cars who were speeding. There was a plane in the air, lines across the road and cops motioning us all to pull over. The plane tracked our speeding. The cop told me I should be pleased because I was speeding the least about 14-15 over. Huge ticket and increased insurance rates taiught me my lesson.
Post automatically merged:

I'm surprised the fine is only $120. Here it is $200 for 1-10 mph over the limit.
I agree. That seems very low.

Trafficat

Around 1991, was crossing into WI from MN, by Hudson, WI. I was following the other 3-4 cars who were speeding. There was a plane in the air, lines across the road and cops motioning us all to pull over. The plane tracked our speeding. The cop told me I should be pleased because I was speeding the least about 14-15 over. Huge ticket and increased insurance rates taiught me my lesson.
I think the speed limits on the highway are dumb. Enforcement by aircraft seems so unsporting, like a canned hunt.

Invisible

I think the speed limits on the highway are dumb. Enforcement by aircraft seems so unsporting, like a canned hunt.
I never knew about that plane thing until it happened. It’s actually probably safer than to chase a speeding car. Some speeders have killed people here, so I think speed limits are needed. A few have almost hit my car from behind as they’re weaving in/out of the lanes at high speeds.

In 1996 I was doing 83 in a 55 and got pulled over. That ticket cost me $347! That is hard to cover when 18 years old making $7.50 an hour.
Ouch! I think mine was like $150.

FLKeys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Paying the ticket by mail (or apparently on the spot) is the dumbest move ever. Probably counts as reckless driving with that speed or has equivalent points as far as insurance is concerned. If he took it to court he probably could have bargained it down to simple speeding offense that would have required 3 tickets to be deactivating.

Maybe he was hoping the deputy would pocket the $120 and not report the ticket. I don't know about MO but here in NV the officers are often making 6 figure salaries. On transparent Nevada website, some are making over $300K in salary (https://transparentnevada.com/salaries/search/?q=police+officer&y=). $120 is pocket change to them.

That said, it only really cost him $108K if he cannot get any other job for the next 3 years.

Uber and Lyft both have the same driving records policy:
  • No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.

In Florida I am sure that ticket would have been over $300.00 after they tack on court costs.

Last edited:

FLKeys

I have to ask why someone like that would waste their time time u/l driving.
While he has a positive cash flow it is not enough to survive on. He was driving U/L for the flexibility to allow him to work on each house that he bought. He buys rundown houses and remodels them to rent out. He just finished his 4th house about 2 months ago.

Maybe now he will be a little more motivated to pick up some more properties. He does not have unlimited funds, he must rely on small loans for each property. I'm sure at some point with enough properties he will not need to rely on loans, however he is not there yet.

TomTheAnt

Wow. Their tickets are based on income level? Note to self, be unemployed if speeding in Finland. I guess if you are rich, it really does pay to hire a driver in a country like Finland.
Yup, that's the way they roll over there. And let's not even talk about the about $6/gallon gas and some other motoring related costs. :roflmao:

Syn

Reading stories like this is when I really miss my eastern Europe & their corrupt cops, where $20 bribe can get you out of any traffic violation ...

Kewl-driver

I have a friend in the St. Louis, MO area that drivers Uber and Lyft full-time. He was the one who encouraged me to drive for Lyft in addition to Uber when I first started driving. Of course he got his driver bonus for giving me his code.

He was in Minnesota late 2019 and got popped going 99 in a 70 MPH zone. Paid the ticket right there on the side of the road to the Deputy, $120 fine. I thought that was strange but apparently it is all legit.

Last week he got deactivated form Lyft for a driving record issue. Last night he got deactivated from Uber for a driving issue. That $120 ticket just cost him @ $108,000 as he makes about $36,000 per year driving for Lyft/Uber.

He can not drive for either company for 3 years now from the date of the ticket. Ouch.

At least he has been working on an exit plan. In the past 3 years he has bought 4 rental properties, fully renovated them himself and turned them into positive cash flow. First two were short therm Airbnb rentals, the second two are long term rentals. Today he is out searching for a 5th property to renovate and turn into a 3rd Airbnb rental, better money in the Airbnb rentals than long term rentals.
When you’re paying for the ticket it’s basically pleading guilty. It would’ve been better going to court they will usually make a deal with you to lower the fine and without any points.

2 things they don’t tolerate and won’t give you a break is DUI and texting. As long you were not being a jerk to the police officer they won’t show up in court, and the court will work with you to lower the fine or dismiss it. My friend is a state trooper that’s what he told me 🤫

Last edited:

FLKeys

When you’re paying for the ticket it’s basically you’re pleading guilty. It would’ve have been better going to court they will usually make a deal with you to lower the ticket fine and without any points.

2 things they don’t tolerate and won’t give you a break is DUI and texting.
Kind of hard to do when you live a few states away, but in hindsight maybe it would have been worth another trip just to go to court.

MiamiKid

Uber and Lyft both have the same driving records policy:
  • No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.

In Florida I am sure that ticket would have been over $300.00 after they tack on court costs.
In Georgia, that ticket would be $500 at a bare minimum. More like $1,000 and possible jail time.

100 mph is a lethal weapon.

Boca Ratman

Any chance your buddy is leaving out some details?

Tell him to talk to the cop, see if can get the cop to drop the speed to 19 over.