1 year US driver's license with permit

siniang

Hi,

my husband and I have recently been thinking about signing up for uber to make some side money as we commute a lot, anyways. However, here's something we stumbled across. We're both from Europe and have valid European driver's licenses. These couldn't be just transferred into US licenses in the state we're living in. My husband did the written test more than 1 year ago and got his permit - which was valid with his European license acting as a driver's license (i.e. no need for being accompanied by another person with a license). He didn't really bother doing the road test until this spring because, well, there was no real need for it, as he was eligible to drive. Hence, his actual license is less than 1 year old, but he does have more than 1 year of driving experience in the US.

Does the permit count as "license" in the signup questionnaire?

Snowblind

I don't quite understand what the Problem is here.
I came here from Europe.
2 Days later I went to the DMV to get my DL.
1 Week later I had my DL.
The End.
:confused:

siniang

I don't quite understand what the Problem is here.
I came here from Europe.
2 Days later I went to the DMV to get my DL.
1 Week later I had my DL.
The End.
:confused:

Well, good for you. You are aware that different states have different laws? In the state we live in you can't "just get" your DL. You have to take the written and the road test. Also, you need a SSN, first (further delay - I highly doubt your two days). In our state you are allowed to drive with your European license for up to one year. This European license also allows you to drive alone on your permit. Getting road test appointments takes time with long waitlists. And if you are a party of two with different commitments and only one car, you're compromised. We just didn't have pressing needs to do the road test since we were allowed to drive with the permit alone.

We didn't come here having Uber in mind, ya know.

Snowblind

Whatever you may say...it doesn't take a Year.
Of course, I came here in 1987.

Monday: Arrive at LAX
Tuesday: get SSN (not valid for employment at that time)
Tuesday: open a Bank Account
Wednesday: Take the written Test @ DMV.
Thursday: nothing. lol.
Friday: Take the Driving Test and get a Temp CADL.
I had the International DL with me but everyone urged me to get this DMV Stuff out of the way.

So why is it taking over a year to do your License?
Just wondering?

siniang

Newsflash, it aint 1987 anymore.

No, it does not NEED to take a year. It just took for us because - as I mentioned, did you read that? - we didn't bother after getting the permit=state ID. There was no urgency at the time.

Another newsflash: timelines vary by visa-type. You know, some visas need an EAD first before they can apply for SSN (90 days for EAD + 7-14 for SSN). Applying for EAD only makes sense if your visa doesn't expire next week = another delay by renewing your visa, first (which was a good 3 month delay for my husband). Also no point in getting DL if your visa experiences shortly....

Please, don't be so smug, especially if your own experience is ancient and obviously from a different state and on a different visa type. Yes, it is partly our own fault, but I had already mentioned that. No need to add salt to injury, right?