• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

$1.50 a week car wash

tomatopaste

I used to buy a monthly car wash pass for about $20 a month. Problem is there was always a line and just took too long. Now I go to the self car wash and only spend $1.50 a week and it takes less than 5 minutes. Plus it's open 24 hours.

Key is not to use soap. Just put in your quarters and set it to high pressure rinse. You can get it very clean with just the high pressure water. With about 2 minutes left on the timer, switch to spot free final rinse. This works well leaves no spots. Drive around for a bit to dry, on freeway if possible, and voilà.

http://www.sauconvalleyautospa.com/wp-content/themes/simple-bootstrap/images/saucon-valley-auto-spa-instructions.JPG

Cableguynoe

My car is white so I do as OP suggests and then run the 75¢ vacuum and I'm good to go. It works well for me.

Beats the heck out of the $6 I was paying at the gas station.
I'm actually excited about this. Do these washes often. But never thought of going soapless.

Spotscat

The local Cenex station charges $5 for the drive-thru car wash, but they give .20/gallon discount if you buy a car wash.

I'll let the Navigator get down to below 1/4 tank, pump in 17 gallons, and get the car washed for $1.60.

Depending upon how busy I am, I may fuel and wash the Navigator daily, every other day at worst.

Cableguynoe

The local Cenex station charges $5 for the drive-thru car wash, but they give .20/gallon discount if you buy a car wash.

I'll let the Navigator get down to below 1/4 tank, pump in 17 gallons, and get the car washed for $1.60.

Depending upon how busy I am, I may fuel and wash the Navigator daily, every other day at worst.
How's that navigator treat you?
I love the look of the navigators. But I had a Lincoln LS from 2001 to 2007. I'll never buy Ford again.
But damn I looked good in that car!

Spotscat

How's that navigator treat you?
I love the look of the navigators. But I had a Lincoln LS from 2001 to 2007. I'll never buy Ford again.
But damn I looked good in that car!
It drinks fuel in the city like an underage boy drinks beer at a fraternity keg party! Other than that, I love it!

What was wrong with your LS? I've been thinking about buying a smaller car for around town use and was looking at a used LS for about $5K.

SpeedyGonzalez11

My car is white so I do as OP suggests and then run the 75¢ vacuum and I'm good to go. It works well for me.

Beats the heck out of the $6 I was paying at the gas station.
Theres a $4 carwash on Cobb pkwy. Free vacuum afterwards. I use it every week or every other week.

itsablackmarket

Actually, what you really do is bring a bucket when it's empty and the owner isn't around, put some quarters in to rinse it and fill the bucket, then hand wash it with a mitt, then put more quarters in and high-pressure rinse/spot clean. Do that every so often, because over time a simple rinse won't be enough and eventually you'll just be spraying water on your car to no effect since over time a chemical reaction occurs and the dirt begins to stick onto the surface of your paint.

EcoboostMKS

You can just buy a cheap electric power washer since that's all you're doing. It would be even cheaper in the long run. They can be had for like $50 or $60 these days.

Cableguynoe

It drinks fuel in the city like an underage boy drinks beer at a fraternity keg party! Other than that, I love it!

What was wrong with your LS? I've been thinking about buying a smaller car for around town use and was looking at a used LS for about $5K.
Everything!
Went through 2 transmissions, countless electrical problems, a leaking sunroof... I'll stop there. I'm starting to get upset.

tomatopaste

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can just buy a cheap electric power washer since that's all you're doing. It would be even cheaper in the long run. They can be had for like $50 or $60 these days.
True. But for $1.50 to me it's worth it just for the convenience.

Bluebird97

It works great unless it's -10 degrees out and the water freezes the second it hits your car. I kind of like taking it through a drive thru wash in the winter just for the dryers.

tomatopaste

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It works great unless it's -10 degrees out and the water freezes the second it hits your car. I kind of like taking it through a drive thru wash in the winter just for the dryers.
I see the problem here. YOU LIVE IN MICHIGAN!
1. Buy a compass
2. Pack up all your stuff
3. Start driving south