$1.00 levy Coming Very Soon

Larrikin

The State Government has announced they're looking at how to introduce a $1.00 levy on every rideshare fare to compensate taxi plate owners (The West pg 19). Transport Minister Dean Nalder says it will be on every charter and taxi fare Given the stark reality that Uber doesn't pay anything, it's very obvious Uber Partners (hmm) will be paying the levy, Shofer will probably pick it up, but you can't imagine Uber doing the same. Everyone needs to protest loudly to the politicians, the media and most of all passengers - tell them the Liberal / National coalition is going to make them (the passengers) pay for the taxi industry they all hate. Young people are usually blase about politics, but they love cheap transport and they don't like taxis. There is a great road safety story to be told in that young people are no longer drink driving - they're using Uber and Nalder and his cohorts want to cash in on it for their taxi owner mates.
It probably won't happen, however now is the time for Uber to start advertising against the proposed levy.

haldriver

There is a great road safety story to be told in that young people are no longer drink driving - they're using Uber and Nalder and his cohorts want to cash in on it for their taxi owner mates.
Really dude, 'Taxi Owner mates'. Both MacTiernan and Buswell hated taxis and did everything they could to exploit the industry. Nalder is just an idiot following Colon's fake ideology. Taxis have been screwed over for years.
As for young people using Uber to avoid drink driving they have been doing that since Booze buses hit the scene back in the mid 1990's which is one of the reasons they hate taxis (people didn't like spending a few bucks on taxis when they could have spent it on booze). Uber isn't that much cheaper that it has convinced hard core booze hounds to change their ways. The drink driving argument is one Uber has used in the States but many place uber has set up had high tests (0.1 not 0.05) and were in many places where there was a shortage of taxis.

I hate the taxi system because of the governments mismanagement of the system not because they are Taxis.
Uber is even more mismanaged. We are going to suffer more.

Taxi guru

The State Government has announced they're looking at how to introduce a $1.00 levy on every rideshare fare to compensate taxi plate owners (The West pg 19). Transport Minister Dean Nalder says it will be on every charter and taxi fare Given the stark reality that Uber doesn't pay anything, it's very obvious Uber Partners (hmm) will be paying the levy, Shofer will probably pick it up, but you can't imagine Uber doing the same. Everyone needs to protest loudly to the politicians, the media and most of all passengers - tell them the Liberal / National coalition is going to make them (the passengers) pay for the taxi industry they all hate. Young people are usually blase about politics, but they love cheap transport and they don't like taxis. There is a great road safety story to be told in that young people are no longer drink driving - they're using Uber and Nalder and his cohorts want to cash in on it for their taxi owner mates.
It probably won't happen, however now is the time for Uber to start advertising against the proposed levy.

Taxi guru

I can't understand your concern if the customers will pay the surcharge for it will be across the board

Larrikin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't understand your concern if the customers will pay the surcharge for it will be across the board
My concern is how the customer will pay - the drivers will pay, the only way I can see how it will work, is the driver will be expected to rebate the $1.00 fee, as they are with GST etc, Uber won't put up the prices and sure as hell won't pay the fee, drivers will.

UberPig

:wink:You guys should be happy to pay the fee for the "privilege" of working "with" Uber:p.. bunch of soft cocks!!!:wink::wink::smiles:

haldriver

My concern is how the customer will pay - the drivers will pay, the only way I can see how it will work, is the driver will be expected to rebate the $1.00 fee, as they are with GST etc, Uber won't put up the prices and sure as hell won't pay the fee, drivers will.
Only a guess but with Minister finally admitting the impact on Taxis he may actually charge Uber the same fee as Taxis. Only way to do it fairly. Collecting extra dollar from passengers would be difficult (impossible/improbable).