$0.405/mi Express Drive (rental) rate pay card in Sacramento; is this permanent?

raisedoncereal

Yesterday was my first day of ride-sharing of any kind, using Lyft's Express Drive rental program.

Going into it I had my hopes up a bit seeing another poster quote a higher mileage rate for Express Drive than w/o, but in my situation (Sacramento) it is considerably lower (44% !!)

Base Rate$0.8625
Base Rate - Express Drive$0.8625
Cancel Penalty$5.00
Maximum Rate$300.00
Minimum Rate$2.17
Minimum Rate - Express Drive$2.17
Per Mile$0.585
Per Mile - Express Drive$0.405
Per Minute$0.1575
Per Minute - Express Drive$0.1575
Scheduled Cancel Penalty$10.00

Will the per-mile rate go up once I've paid off the rental costs, or is this permanent? Seems like I would be able to earn something like 33-50% more without the Express Drive, if factoring in "other bonuses" that rental drivers don't qualify for, not to mention being able to drive for both Uber and Lyft....

Being unemployed/no income for the past 6 months or so has turned my ~750+ credit score into ~550-, so this seems to be my only option.... Or is it?

My first 1.5 days stats are:

7 hours, 14 rides, $67.63 earnings.

At this rate, I will not be earning the "$1200 in 130 rides guaranteed", so I'm planning on doing the 130-ish rides and trying out Uber to see how it compares. Seems Uber might be a better fit since I'm not allowed to do other ride-sharing (Postmates, etc) in my Express Drive rental.
Post automatically merged:

$67.63 in 14 rides equates to approx $627 in 130 rides.

(less than $10/hr, not to including cost of gas/rental... Could be as low as $7-8/hr after expenses)

KK2929

Yesterday was my first day of ride-sharing of any kind, using Lyft's Express Drive rental program.

Going into it I had my hopes up a bit seeing another poster quote a higher mileage rate for Express Drive than w/o, but in my situation (Sacramento) it is considerably lower (44% !!)

Base Rate$0.8625
Cancel Penalty$5.00
Maximum Rate$300.00
Minimum Rate$2.17
Per Mile$0.585
Per Minute$0.1575

Will the per-mile rate go up once I've paid off the rental costs, or is this permanent? Seems like I would be able to earn something like 33-50% more without the Express Drive, if factoring in "other bonuses" that rental drivers don't qualify for, not to mention being able to drive for both Uber and Lyft....

Being unemployed/no income for the past 6 months or so has turned my ~750+ credit score into ~550-, so this seems to be my only option.... Or is it?

At this rate, I will not be earning the "$1200 in 130 rides guaranteed", so I'm planning on doing the 130-ish rides and trying out Uber to see how it compares. Seems Uber might be a better fit since I'm not allowed to do other ride-sharing (Postmates, etc) in my Express Drive rental.

(less than $10/hr, not to including cost of gas/rental... Could be as low as $7-8/hr after expenses)
----------------
The per mile rate will stay the same. It does not change after you make the car rental fee.
Not knowing your market, your figures for 7 hours of driving seem low when compared to L.A., which is a strong market. I am assuming that the $67.63 is your net Income AFTER Lyft takes their cut. You have to run a check on several trips to determine what percentage Lyft is taking out of your earnings. It will likely be between 40% - 65%. For the Rental Bonuses you should accept every trip, even the shared. Keep in mind that in order to make the rental fee, you must earn about twice the fee if Lyft is taking an average of 50%, meaning if the rental fee is $240/week, you will need to earn $480.
Uber keeps advertising something called Fair Rental. I know nothing about it, except the rental fee is lower --- $180/wk

That is reversed. The mileage rate is lower is you rent a car.

Last edited:

TampaGuy

Welcome. I’m sure drivers in San Francisco will be able to give you some tips in your are. Many kind people on this board.

Bob Reynolds

I did a post on Express drive in February 2018. It was not looking good then. It has only gotten worse as they decreased the pay.

raisedoncereal

Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, the other reason I'm interested in trying out the Uber rental program is the lower rental rate and higher "rental rewards" style bonus, which off the top of my head was quoted at >$300 (more than rental cost), as opposed to the $170-$180 cap that Lyft has on theirs which is less than the rental cost ($230-ish after taxes). The "Rental Rewards" program is not only capped at below the cost of the rental, but it is also pro-rated along with the rental cost. For instance, I picked up my rental late Tuesday afternoon for a pro-rated total fee of $171.xx, but my rental rewards is also capped at $121 ($46+$21+$54).

Does Uber also pay less per-mile (or otherwise) for their rental program?

Feels like I should have roughly $100 in earnings instead of the $68, if I were to have the same pay rate. And yes, those numbers are after Lyft's cuts.

KK2929

I did a post on Express drive in February 2018. It was not looking good then. It has only gotten worse as they decreased the pay.

--------------------
And increase their cut from our earnings !!

Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, the other reason I'm interested in trying out the Uber rental program is the lower rental rate and higher "rental rewards" style bonus, which off the top of my head was quoted at >$300 (more than rental cost), as opposed to the $170-$180 cap that Lyft has on theirs which is less than the rental cost ($230-ish after taxes). The "Rental Rewards" program is not only capped at below the cost of the rental, but it is also pro-rated along with the rental cost. For instance, I picked up my rental late Tuesday afternoon for a pro-rated total fee of $171.xx, but my rental rewards is also capped at $121 ($46+$21+$54).

Does Uber also pay less per-mile (or otherwise) for their rental program?

Feels like I should have roughly $100 in earnings instead of the $68, if I were to have the same pay rate. And yes, those numbers are after Lyft's cuts.
--------------------
For comparison -- in L.A.
Both Flex drive and Express Drive are the same
Per-mile $0.6975 -------------- If your personal car $0.795 per mile
Per minute $0.1275

With Lyft you can only drive for Lyft. I do not know about Uber.
That is a minimum of $2,000 per month on a car payment. You have to drive a lot to earn the Rental Bonus, like over 50 hours a week.
In L.A. the bottom tier is 85 rides for $75 dollars off the rental fee -- another 25 rides for $45 -- another 25 rides for $80. In other words 135 rides for $200 off the rental. I rarely do more than 2.5 rides per hour and , yes, I do Shared Rides. Based on those figures, it would take me 54 hours to do 135 rides. Yikes -- not interested in living in my car nor in paying $2,000 a month for a car.
If you qualify, buy a small car and drive. Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan , all excellent

Last edited:

raisedoncereal

I would not qualify for any type of financing to buy or lease a car, so it seems some sort of rental is my only option at this time.

I will try out Uber which I'm hoping will provide me with more ride opportunities esp with Uber Eats (which I'm reading is garbage, but seems better than no rides in my situation). In the end I'll likely need to find a minimum wage job as a primary and do the ride sharing as secondary, which will give me easier access to a car.

If there was an easy way around using a different rental outside of Uber or Lyft's built-in program ($600-750/mo rental costs) that would allow me to earn standard rates and qualify for more bonuses, I'd love to know about them.

jgiun1

It's a scam....NOT sure about a Uber's fair program, but Lyft certified scam and I rented a week to try it out....by day four I switched back to Uber and my car.

I would not qualify for any type of financing to buy or lease a car, so it seems some sort of rental is my only option at this time.

I will try out Uber which I'm hoping will provide me with more ride opportunities esp with Uber Eats (which I'm reading is garbage, but seems better than no rides in my situation). In the end I'll likely need to find a minimum wage job as a primary and do the ride sharing as secondary, which will give me easier access to a car.

If there was an easy way around using a different rental outside of Uber or Lyft's built-in program ($600-750/mo rental costs) that would allow me to earn standard rates and qualify for more bonuses, I'd love to know about them.

My mechanic friend bought a $2000 seven seater car that's qualified XL and almost twice the per mile than X.....dude, there's ways around renting those slave labor lease...they take away money, only to give back 75% of the money in fake bonus, all while tapping 40-50% of every ride also

raisedoncereal

At this time I'm nearly completely broke, credit cards maxed out, behind on rent, etc, so not many options and taking what I can get to try to get back on my feet and not end up completely homeless without income.

Found out about this program a bit late. I couldn't even get a normal entry level minimum wage job in my area (Sacramento/Elk Grove) due to lack of public transportation...

Life used to be good, but got hit with a number of bad events all at once which put me in a real bad financial situation, and made worse by not having income and maxing out all credit lines for months.

Just starting over in life. Will probably need to be partially homeless pretty soon to be realistic, maybe a cheap RV or converted van is likely in my near future as I can't afford my current $1800/mo house rental

jgiun1

At this time I'm nearly completely broke, credit cards maxed out, behind on rent, etc, so not many options and taking what I can get to try to get back on my feet and not end up completely homeless without income.

Found out about this program a bit late. I couldn't even get a normal entry level minimum wage job in my area (Sacramento/Elk Grove) due to lack of public transportation...

Life used to be good, but got hit with a number of bad events all at once which put me in a real bad financial situation, and made worse by not having income and maxing out all credit lines for months.

Just starting over in life. Will probably need to be partially homeless pretty soon to be realistic, maybe a cheap RV or converted van is likely in my near future as I can't afford my current $1800/mo house rental

Sucks MAN....sorry to hear that....even being in that bad of shape, you made a deal with the devil....you'll probably end up worse with endless driving and still coming up short.

The grim reality is...you'll be driving 4- 4.5 days a week to cover initial gas and lease payments before you can even earn a cent to cash out.

Last edited:

jgiun1

If you are that far behind, Lyft and Uber will only make it worse. This kind of gig will not solve your type of problem.

You need to find something else. Every fast food restaurant is hiring and they all pay more than Uber or Lyft. Ride a bicycle to the fast food restaurant until you get back on your feet.

Agree,, that lease will pull you in and wipe you clean for Lyft....its like riding a wooden boat into a hurricane.

FormerTaxiDriver♧

Base Rate$0.8625
Cancel Penalty$5.00
Maximum Rate$300.00
Minimum Rate$2.17
Per Mile$0.585
Per Minute$0.1575

Total it out, and get rid of it!

jgiun1

Driving for a rental in Sacramento is indentured servitude. The closer you get to you goal the slower your pings will be. Luft and Uber will use owner operators to keep rentals paying their weekly fee instead of getting g the discount.

With lyft it's really not a discount....they make you drive like a slave for 60 rides here to get back $60 off lease...the problem is, with lower rates for lease, you're probably losing 30-40 dollars on those 60 rides in the penalty rate card deduction....it's actually not even a bonus, more like penalties for not reaching a tier.

Last edited:

raisedoncereal

The closer you get to you goal the slower your pings will be. Luft and Uber will use owner operators to keep rentals paying their weekly fee instead of getting g the discount.
Pretty scary if true.

But at this time I'm not sure if there are any other real options that would allow me to have more than one source of income while also being able to have a car to drive for personal use.

Today's stats aren't as bad as it began out, finally broke the $10/hr average for the day thanks to a few "long" trips (>$7-ish).

Seems to be helping to stay put for the most part, as recommended by many, instead of driving around wasting gas.

With lyft it's really not a discount....they make you drove like a slave for 60 rides here to get back $60 off lease...the problem is, with lower rates for lease, you're probably losing 30-40 dollars on those 60 rides in the penalty rate card deduction....it's actually not even a bonus, more like penalties for not reaching a tier.
Completely agree that it's a nicely worded "penalty" vs "reward".

How do you feel about Uber's program, in comparison?

jgiun1

Pretty scary if true.

But at this time I'm not sure if there are any other real options that would allow me to have more than one source of income while also being able to have a car to drive for personal use.

Today's stats aren't as bad as it began out, finally broke the $10/hr average for the day thanks to a few "long" trips (>$7-ish).

Seems to be helping to stay put for the most part, as recommended by many, instead of driving around wasting gas.

Completely agree that it's a nicely worded "penalty" vs "reward".

How do you feel about Uber's program, in comparison?

I think you're credit score should get you a fair lease from Uber....I'd try that over Lyft scam. Uber gives out way more surge

raisedoncereal

So far, just shy of my first 24h since putting into driver mode, I'm 23 rides of the 130 for the $1.2k guarantee, averaging $5.88 per ride which I imagine will go up after the "rental rewards". I expect I will earn less than $1200 by the time I'm done with 130 rides.

I will try out Uber at that time

Thanks all for the feedback