1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

‘Splain me this: “Summer Slowdown”

Discussion in 'Advice' started by IERide, Jun 5, 2018.

1. I’ve read it here 100 times “now that school is out it’s really going to slow down” or “now that it’s getting hot out, it’s going to slow down” ..

So.. since i always avoid the school hours (7a-8a and 2:30p-3:30) and since people still need to go to work, pickup their car at the shop, go to the airport, etc, no matter how warm it is, WHY exactly are we about to hit the “slow” season?

uberdriverfornow likes this.
  2. Summer is awesome. Surge bikini rides! Haters just vtrying to divert.

3. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    Depends on your market. If you have college campuses with out-of-state tuitioners, those kids have all left your area for now.
    They don’t tip anyway.

Termie, rocot0, AllGold and 2 others like this.
  4. Yah.. I dont get many (any?) of those in the “busy” season.

5. Where I’m at, the city gets more busy and we get more tourists, but with that comes more drivers. Many of those local college kids also probably put down their books and turn on their driver apps. I also think people from all over the state come to Nashville to drive on the weekend.

Andre Benjamin 6000 and IERide like this.
  6. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Also teachers will have plenty of time on their hands and Uber is an easy thing to pickup for the summer. Same for students with cars that don't go home or live locally. Lower demand + higher supply = bad time.

7. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing!

Let’s not discount extra drivers on the road: teachers! Moonlighting for the summer.

8. Z129

Z129 Moderator

I don't believe that demand is slower in the summer at all. I believe it is much higher. It's just the massive amounts of additional drivers on the road just as folks are saying. But for late-night drivers the demand is much higher in the summer months. At least in my experience.

5231XDMA likes this.
  9. daave1

daave1

I agree with above responses. Last Summer it seemed to be busier in the evenings for me. I'm south of where you are (Temecula) and I believe there's an increase of tourists and So Cal'ers coming to wine country for the day/weekend.

10. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    What he said. “It depends on your market”

Here in Ft Myers/Naples we have a winter season and our population drops by about half after Easter.

It’s our winter residents and winter visitors that drive our business. I looked at the airport traffic reports recently. January traffic is about double August’s

JMlyftuber likes this.
  11. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    Yes...butt...look at the brightside....

The commute ain't bad down there...

And more skeeters in the summer...8>)

Rakos
    M3PBCOATX8.jpg

JMlyftuber and Uberyouber like this.
  12. Huge drop in demand hits the Palm Springs area every May. Last Thursday night I made $20 in three hours and had drove 50 miles to do it. It actually gets a little better in June as some drivers give up by that time.

13. My market dies in the summer.

We are not a vacation spot and we are a big University area. So, there is less demand day to day because the college kids are gone and people go on vacation.

Furthermore, there are WAY more drivers. Students that live locally drive in the summer & I guess people believe that since there are a lot of concerts in the summer, it's a great time to drive. And sure, the events can be good - if you are lucky. But day to day, there are WAY TOO MANY drivers.

So, even people who generally don't drive the students will feel the slowdown because of the lower overall demand and more drivers around.

Now the beaches 2 hours east of here are a whole different story. It's busy there in the summer (unless all the NC drivers go there - then oversaturation kills the money)

Rakos likes this.
  14. Atom guy

Atom guy

In a word: vacations. You've got 2 months where most people try to cram in a vacation, so every week you have a percentage of the population gone. College kids are gone, so that affects business as well. In my market traffic is noticeably less during the rush hours over the summer.

Rakos likes this.
  15. Squirming Like A Toad

Squirming Like A Toad

Driving:
    UberXL
    All variable by shift and market. Yes, vacations can slow you down... unless you're in a vacation destination. If you're in a college town in-town will slow down, while the suburbs where the kids live will pick up. Being in a cold climate I think very late night picks up a bit, because it's not so evil cold where no one wants to go out even in a car.

16. bizly

bizly

Driving:
    UberX
    Our wonderful summer storms and hurricanes tend to scare off the tourists :rolleyes: pansies.

Rakos likes this.
  17. YouEvenLyftBruh

YouEvenLyftBruh

Driving:
    Lyft

I would think that Weekends and Evenings are going to speed up not slow down... but what do I know.

18. It’s all those new drivers who signed up for Coachella and think it’s like that all the time

19. it just depends..

In a college town your going to see a massive slowdown.

In orlando business will be good all summer,

It just depends.

20. AllGold

AllGold

(I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said in this thread. Except...)

In my market, demand is mostly definitely down during the summer. In the college town setting in which I drive, a significant portion of the population is simply not here; gone for the summer.