‘I Don’t Feel Safe Anymore’: Woman Claims Uber Driver Lunged At Her, Shoved Tongue In Mouth

arto71

https://www.google.com/amp/losangel...ver-lunged-at-her-shoved-tongue-in-mouth/amp/

August 4, 2016 11:35 PM

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A woman says her Uber ride ended in shock as she was left fighting off an attack allegedly by her driver.

Kris Brix says she’s always liked the ride-sharing company because it’s fast and cheap.

But, she says, she no longer feels safe alone at night with the drivers.

The final straw was in the early morning hours last Saturday. She says she took an Uber from the Redondo Beach Pier to her parked car in Marina del Rey.

But, she says, when she got out, the driver did too.

“He lunged at me, grabbed me, started smashing his face, his mouth onto my mouth and shoving his tongue into my mouth. And I shoved him off me and I’m shouting, ‘No! No,’ ” she said.

She said he did that twice before allowing her to leave. Brix says she reported it to both Uber and police, who both say they’re investigating.

“I was kind of just shocked by the whole experience,” she said.

Uber said in a statement:

“The behavior described is disturbing and is not tolerated. The driver has been banned from the platform, and we will work with law enforcement to support their investigation.”

CBS2 found another recently reported assault. A Los Angeles actress appears to have sent a tweet to Uber, saying: “Driver just assaulted me and threw me in the side of the highway. Please respond.”

Uber Support tweeted back that they’re looking into it. The company says they have yet to talk with the woman directly.

“These people are not being vetted properly,” said Brix, who takes issue with Uber’s background checks, which don’t include fingerprinting.

She says this was the second time she has had an issue. The first time, she says, she tried to brush it off.

Brix says she plans to take a Taxi should she need a ride in the future.

“I used to think that Uber was safe, and I do not feel that it is safe at all,” she said.

The company says this is the first report of its kind about the driver, who started driving with them last year. He has since been banned from the ride-hailing service.

uber strike

this woman is ignorant. she said she takes issue with background checks while the driver has no criminal history.

in any event, uber does have to take a look at vetting people trying to sign up. uber does not interview drivers. uber does mass sign ups year round. anyone can sign up easily online. uber must make safety their number 1 priority and start interviewing new drivers so that they can get a feel for the person's personality and character. uber cannot continue to sign up deranged drivers like THE KALAMAZOO UBER DRIVER KILLER.

uber cannot keep their drivers. they have the highest turnover of any company in the world. it is imperative that uber begins to focus on keeping their experienced and trusted drivers instead of continuing mass sign ups. what's the use of star ratings if uber does not keep their tried and true drivers to better serve riders and better assure their safety???

Cascas

If someone is being sexually harrassed twice, that's a red flag for me.

Now a pervert may end up touching or talking dirty etc, but getting out and trying to give a french kiss ?

Who does that out of the blue? He has to be off his rockers to do something like that for no reason, and he definitely would get more than one report with a mental sickness like that.

I have serious doubts that she's telling the whole story. What is it, the drivers are smarter now so nobody is accepting to get laid, so making out and claiming sexual harassment is a new way to go or what?

Old Smokey

If someone is being sexually harrassed twice, that's a red flag for me.

Now a pervert may end up touching or talking dirty etc, but getting out and trying to give a french kiss ?

Who does that out of the blue? He has to be off his rockers to do something like that for no reason, and he definitely would get more than one report with a mental sickness like that.

I have serious doubts that she's telling the whole story. What is it, the drivers are smarter now so nobody is accepting to get laid, so making out and claiming sexual harassment is a new way to go or what?
I thought that the financial players would be the end of FUBER, those who should be registered as SEX OFFENDERS WATCH LIST may have a head start.

Just Another Uber Drive

Dashcams. Get 'em and use 'em.

Point the camera right at the female pax and verbally state that all rides are recorded for driver and passenger safety. If it's night leave the interior light on.

Say "yes maam" and "no maam" as required and that's it.

Or if you're male simply ignore all female pax and let the female drivers take them.

We get the male degenerates and they get the psycho females.

Tedgey

Point the camera right at the female pax and verbally state that all rides are recorded for driver and passenger safety. If it's night leave the interior light on.

Or if you're male simply ignore all female pax and let the female drivers take them.

I picked up a lady on Robertson and Pico yesterday. Busy corner, I'm turning right to go up Robertson and she's right there on the corner with a suitcase. So I stop mid turn "are you Dolly?" She doesn't say a word, gets in the car and leaves the bag for me to get.

Meanwhile the guy behind me is rightfully freaking out and honking and yelling and gesticulating and she says to me through the open window while I'm getting her bag "can you turn the air conditioner on?"

I get back in the car and she starts croaking in the back seat "air. air. air." I turn it on while starting the trip and finally completing my right turn and the guy behind me now wants to catch up with me to yell some more. "YOU DON'T DO THAT!" I shrug my shoulders at him to say sorry. Sorry you can't think of anything better to say and roll up my window. "Can you turn the air conditioner on?"

Yes ma'am it's on. I put the a/c fan on high and this cow keeps her window down. Then she starts blowing her nose like a conch and no she's not going to the airport, only two blocks (thank god!) but at least she left a dirty snot rag and a pile of unused Starbucks napkins in the back seat to blow around.

Somehow my story fits this thread. I swear it does.

thelittleguyhelper

this woman is ignorant. she said she takes issue with background checks while the driver has no criminal history.

in any event, uber does have to take a look at vetting people trying to sign up. uber does not interview drivers. uber does mass sign ups year round. anyone can sign up easily online. uber must make safety their number 1 priority and start interviewing new drivers so that they can get a feel for the person's personality and character. uber cannot continue to sign up deranged drivers like THE KALAMAZOO UBER DRIVER KILLER.

uber cannot keep their drivers. they have the highest turnover of any company in the world. it is imperative that uber begins to focus on keeping their experienced and trusted drivers instead of continuing mass sign ups. what's the use of star ratings if uber does not keep their tried and true drivers to better serve riders and better assure their safety???
It isn't possible to interview that many people. It also isn't going to do anything: you cannot assess personality accurately from a single interview. You can assess personality when one person is in a situation of taking advantage of another, and seeing how they respond (help, hurt, do nothing).

I know from [stuff] they take safety seriously--way more than anyone else, I'm just not allowed to say [stuff]. :frown:

uber strike

It isn't possible to interview that many people. It also isn't going to do anything: you cannot assess personality accurately from a single interview. You can assess personality when one person is in a situation of taking advantage of another, and seeing how they respond (help, hurt, do nothing).

I know from [stuff] they take safety seriously--way more than anyone else, I'm just not allowed to say [stuff]. :frown:
you mean to tell me that uber wouldn't have been able to asses people like this? incoherent and deranged. after the shootings Dalton said that the uber app made him do it.
interviews are imperative. you may not be able to weed out every nut case but making every effort to keep guys like Dalton from giving rides to uber pax is essential.
but even if uber continues to neglect this issue, by stating that it is impossible to interview this many people (as you stated), then uber should at least stop mass sign ups as i stated above. uber must make it their aim to keep their trusted and experienced drivers for safety's sake. uber's turn over rate is forcing out their top starred drivers. these pay cuts are still causing drivers to quit. uber must not continue to avoid the issue of safety. it must become uber's top priority.

thelittleguyhelper

you mean to tell me that uber wouldn't have been able to asses people like this? incoherent and deranged. af iter the shootings Dalton said that the uber app made him do it.
interviews are imperative. you may not be able to weed out every nut case but making every effort to keep guys like Dalton from giving rides to uber pax is essential.
but even if uber continues to neglect this issue, by stating that it is impossible to interview this many people (as you stated), then uber should at least stop mass sign ups as i stated above. uber must make it their aim to keep their trusted and experienced drivers for safety's sake. uber's turn over rate is forcing out their top starred drivers. these pay cuts are still causing drivers to quit. uber must not continue to avoid the issue of safety. it must become uber's top priority.
Of course not. Most shooters aren't deranged all the time, or else they'd be easy to detect and lock-up. e.g. the Aurora shooting in the US state of Colorado involved a PhD candidate for something like neuroscience: a brilliant guy who wouldn't be easy to detect in any circumstances, yet he took a shotgun to a row of children in a theatre.

Research on the topic shows that interviews in many respects are practically useless, unfortunately--from performance predictability to personality issues to something as serious as this. I can't change that, facts are facts.

Now since you're using politically-patterned repetitions throughout your posts, who is paying? :biggrin: I'm generally interested because I got to peak behind the curtain and it was fascinating. I mean both at BOTH major rideshare companies and in several campaigns. Your placement of the same succinct, bold statement at the end of the sentences has just the right impact--and matches a campaign-communications manual I had to read one year.

LA Dispatcher

I got my dashcam sitting in a box for two weeks. Time to install the damn thing. Got reported for being unprofessional because I left some punk millennials stranded at the top hill. They had no phone reception to get another ride and had to walk all the way down.:oopsies: They jeopardize my safety and wasted my time, they get no ride. Lesson learned.

uber strike

Of course not. Most shooters aren't deranged all the time, or else they'd be easy to detect and lock-up. e.g. the Aurora shooting in the US state of Colorado involved a PhD candidate for something like neuroscience: a brilliant guy who wouldn't be easy to detect in any circumstances, yet he took a shotgun to a row of children in a theatre.

Research on the topic shows that interviews in many respects are practically useless, unfortunately--from performance predictability to personality issues to something as serious as this. I can't change that, facts are facts.

Now since you're using politically-patterned repetitions throughout your posts, who is paying? :biggrin: I'm generally interested because I got to peak behind the curtain and it was fascinating. I mean both at BOTH major rideshare companies and in several campaigns. Your placement of the same succinct, bold statement at the end of the sentences has just the right impact--and matches a campaign-communications manual I had to read one year.
true. so are you saying that uber should stop their background checks just because studies have proved that majority of mass shooters never had a criminal record? of course not. you must still take every precaution because lives are at stake.

lmao. nobody is paying me. i wish. but i do feel that i'd make a good pr for uber. lol. i can be pretty good at spin which is something that uber desperately needs due to the fact that incidents and murders are a part of ride sharing (if uber does not take heed to making safety a priority). drivers are picking up drunks and drug dealers late at night and riders are getting into strangers cars that may be psychotic like the uber murderer.

and did you really think i was concerned for uber riders? i'm just a driver that hates uber for the way they treat drivers. they cut our pay due to "winter slump" and are now trying make us believe we are still in winter. i just want reasonable and fair pay. uber has no lack of drivers due to mass sign ups and are forsaking their current drivers as dispensable. now do you see why i'm using the safety factor to get uber to stop mass sign ups? but thanks for the compliment. you give me too much credit.
nevertheless, it is a very smart concept... uber should really focus more on keeping their experienced drivers. why have a 5 star system if you're not ensuring that these drivers will be the ones uber is sending to pick up riders? those that bring the best service to uber riders should be highly regarded and respected. this type of policy that i am presenting will keep many incidents, beatings, and sexual assaults from continuing to occur.

Fuzzyelvis

I picked up a lady on Robertson and Pico yesterday. Busy corner, I'm turning right to go up Robertson and she's right there on the corner with a suitcase. So I stop mid turn "are you Dolly?" She doesn't say a word, gets in the car and leaves the bag for me to get.

Meanwhile the guy behind me is rightfully freaking out and honking and yelling and gesticulating and she says to me through the open window while I'm getting her bag "can you turn the air conditioner on?"

I get back in the car and she starts croaking in the back seat "air. air. air." I turn it on while starting the trip and finally completing my right turn and the guy behind me now wants to catch up with me to yell some more. "YOU DON'T DO THAT!" I shrug my shoulders at him to say sorry. Sorry you can't think of anything better to say and roll up my window. "Can you turn the air conditioner on?"

Yes ma'am it's on. I put the a/c fan on high and this cow keeps her window down. Then she starts blowing her nose like a conch and no she's not going to the airport, only two blocks (thank god!) but at least she left a dirty snot rag and a pile of unused Starbucks napkins in the back seat to blow around.

Somehow my story fits this thread. I swear it does.
I would not have started the trip and would've started driving without the bag.

"Oh sorry. If that bag is yours why did you leave it on the curb? I'll stop so you can go back and get it.

Me get it? Sorry, back injury. I'll wait right here for you though."

CANCEL. DRIVE OFF.

Fuzzyelvis

Fingerprinting is about verifying the identity of the person as well. If the background check is done on a stolen identity it doesn't matter how good it is.

Houston found many drivers using aliases when they started fingerprinting them. Also many major issues that didn't show up on Uber's check.

thelittleguyhelper

i'm just a driver that hates uber for the way they treat drivers. they cut our pay due to "winter slump" and are now trying make us believe we are still in winter. i just want reasonable and fair pay.
I was going to go all lecture-y about what's wrong here but sometimes a guy/gal just needs someone to sympathize, and with this ^ I do.

I can be a little more Mr. Critic (but in a good way to point-out flaws that dis-empower you) later if you like. :smiles: I'm in need of going somewhere now and really have to get ready.

G'luck.