• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

‘Fed up’ cyclists send letter to Uber, Lyft asking drivers to stop obstructing bike lanes

BurgerTiime

Bicycle and pedestrian advocacy groups sent a letter this week to Uber and Lyft, calling on the ride-share companies to improve driver education about the hazards of stopping and pulling over in designated bike lanes.
The letter, dated Feb. 25, was signed by 14 local organizations, including the Somerville Bicycle Committee, the Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition, the Boston Cyclists Union, Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee, and Cambridge Bicycle Safety.
In the letter, the groups expressed concern about “the persistent problem of drivers of rideshare vehicles obstructing designated bicycle lanes while in the process of picking up/dropping off their passengers.”

“When bike lanes are obstructed by a vehicle, cyclists must ride alongside motor vehicles, where they are unduly exposed to heavy truck, bus, and automobile traffic,” they wrote. “Furthermore, obstructed bike lanes increase the danger of bicyclists being hit by an opening car door.”

Advocates claim it happens “with maddening frequency” and has become “more acute” as the popularity of ride-share services has increased.
“Standing” or parking in a bike lane is illegal in Massachusetts, under the so-called “Bike Lane Bill,” signed into law by Governor Charlie Baker in 2017.
The coalition that wrote to Uber and Lyft offered to work with the companies to better refine driver conduct, so the streets will remain safe for bike lane users.
“We believe that we can work together to solve this persistent and dangerous practice,” the letter said. “You have the power to direct your drivers to change their behaviors with respect to obstructing bike lanes.”

In a statement to the Globe, Uber spokesman Harry Hartfield said the company believes streets “should be safe for all users — pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers alike.”
“We regularly educate drivers on the rules and regulations on bike lanes,” he said, “and hope to meet with these groups to address their concerns.”

ZenUber

That's hilarious. How many times have you seen bicycle riders driving down the main road swerving in between cars in downtown city traffic. Bicycle riders practice the most dangerous maneuvers known to man. And if we accidentally hit you, we get to go to jail. But oh - we're in your "space." At least we're not swerving in and around you ignoring every traffic law, and some of the laws of physics as well. Get real, bicycle riders - we're not discriminating against you, it's just well deserved payback.

Last edited:

The Gift of Fish

That's hilarious. How many times have have you seen a bicycle riders driving down the main road swerving in between cars in downtown city traffic. Bicycle riders practice the most dangerous maneuvers known to man. But oh - we're in your "space." At least we're not swerving in and around you ignoring every traffic law. Get real, bicycle riders - we're not discriminating against you, it's just payback.
Lol, yeah - when cyclists stop riding like idiots then maybe drivers will start to take them seriously. Until that day it's just the pot calling the kettle black.

john1975

I try to avoid obstructing bike lanes if possible but as we all know cyclists in general are worse offenders than cars. They blow through stop signs, ride in the wrong direction on one ways, ride on the wrong side of the street in dangerous areas like mass ave bridge. Pedestrians are even worse. When I hear a pedestrian or biker gets hit by a car most of the time you never hear the details unless driver is at fault. If it’s biker or pedestrian fault it’s an unfortunate accident but if car is at fault the driver is the devil. Police need to pull over bikers and ticket them when they ride illegally as well. You rarely ever see a biker ticketed or even pulled over.

Tysmith95

In European cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen bike lanes work great. They actually reduce congestion (cause bikes take up less space compared to cars).

However they ticket bikes running lights/stop signs, and they ticket bikes without lights.

Also they have a curb between car travel lanes and bike lanes. That would make sense.

ZenUber

There's not enough money in it for them to bother.

Police ticket drivers and insurance rates go up. Insurance companies help departments buy radar equipment etc... so they can ticket more drivers. Symbiotic relationship.

Geico was particularly notorious for this.
You just described the American economy.

Diamondraider

There's not enough money in it for them to bother.

Police ticket drivers and insurance rates go up. Insurance companies help departments buy radar equipment etc... so they can ticket more drivers. Symbiotic relationship.

Geico was particularly notorious for this.
If so, I propose any bicycle on a public roadway must be covered by insurance as a rider to auto or homeowners.
Post automatically merged:

If so, I propose any bicycle on a public roadway must be covered by insurance as a rider to auto or homeowners.
The insurance company can start tracking bike incidents.

My sister lost a homeowner policy when she bought, then inquired about an outdoor trampoline. She tried to be honest to protect everyone and the company felt she was too high a risk.

Uberchampion

This is a huge issue in Toronto. I have to agree with bike riders. There needs to be much more enforcement across the board.

A lot of bike riders suck ass. But the ones who do follow the rules should be able to ride in their own lane

Last edited:

Tysmith95

Post automatically merged:

The insurance company can start tracking bike incidents.

My sister lost a homeowner policy when she bought, then inquired about an outdoor trampoline. She tried to be honest to protect everyone and the company felt she was too high a risk.
Bikes don't cause much damage during an accident. I don't see the point of insuring bikes.

cdm813

Bikes don't cause much damage during an accident. I don't see the point of insuring bikes.
If a car swerves to avoid a cyclist riding illegally and that car hits another car, the cyclist is liable. If he/she does not have insurance, the affected motorist(s) can only go after personal assets.