1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Would you give $5 a month for the next 6 months for an advocate?

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by agtg, Jun 25, 2016.

?
  1. No

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Yes

31 vote(s)
    59.6%
  3. Yes, but I would be willing to offer $____ up front (please post and share how much).

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

Would you give $15 to fund an advocacy campaign complete with pro website with testimonies of drivers, a professional video that rallies drivers and educates riders and representatives, a site that enables drivers to easily contact local, state, and federal representatives to defend working conditions?

If I could get a 1,000 people to commit to that I would work it full-time for the next 2 months and blast the internet with a viral marketing campaign that would shift the perception, raise concerns with political representatives, and call these companies to account.

I would also create a website that would distribute a weekly newsletter for rideshare related news, articles, and blogs. Additionally, there would be a page with a portal to contact your local legislators quickly and easily to make them aware of issues related to the industry.

Finally, my goal would be to create and share a plan for local drivers to petition and advocate in their very markets effectively for better rates and fair policies.

I've driven for Uber and Lyft, I have a degree in social work, I've got years of advocacy experience, I've worked in union and non-union situations for over 20 years, and you can tell by my posts around here that I am an articulate and effective communicator. I would not be the spokesperson, but I would conceive and write a short public relations commercial and hire a videographer to create it. I would also work tirelessly to promote a website with all manner of viral marketing (not unlike what Uber/Lyft have done to establish this current, inaccurate perception riders and new drivers have of the industry).

Moreover, I would give people an ear for issues that should be addressed and create a diplomatic, but clear, platform for drivers to address these issues with a measure of professionalism and effectiveness they do not have when they are not united.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. uberlift

uberlift Active Member

I would

3. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

Awesome, cast your vote.

4. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

I could possibly set up a kickststarter campaign so in case the money isn't raised people could get a full refund.

Uberxdriver111 likes this.
  5. Uberxdriver111

Uberxdriver111 Active Member

Do a Kickstarter. That way it will gain more attention

6. Tequila Jake

Tequila Jake Well-Known Member

It's extremely unclear what you want to accomplish. There are a lot of buzzwords in your post but very little actual content. I do get the impression that the goal is basically for people to give you $30,000 to trash their livelihood.

7. The Mollusk

The Mollusk Well-Known Member

This sounds like one of those things you should do first, then the money comes in. Not the other way around.

8. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

Lol, social work.

Are you trying to get 1000 drivers to pay off your student loans?

New2This likes this.
  9. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

That and maybe credit cards and/or back taxes owed to the IRS.

10. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

Wow, big surprise. Another shill for Uber Corporate.

As a matter of fact, I also have an advanced degree. No one paid my way, either.

The real drivers on this forum need to start calling out the Uber corporate shills. These cretins are waging an economic war against the local economies and the drivers themselves. Do you presume they're not crawling all over this forum? Do you think they fighting fair? They are low-lifes with no character. For a salary they will destroy this generation and their children.

Tenderloin and thomas1955 like this.
  11. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

No, this is exactly how a marginalized groups on the economic defensive deal with corporate behemoth's like Uber. They all put in a little money so they can collectively afford a big hammer and whack them like a mole back into the ground.

McGyüber, Tenderloin and thomas1955 like this.
  12. thelittleguyhelper

thelittleguyhelper Active Member

So you're saying that a group which these people choose to work with because they would be worse off without that option are, in fact, victims of an economic war against them?

Hmmm...

ColdRider likes this.
  13. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

Lol, shill?

Uber is garbage. Not my fault you guys continue to drive for the platform expecting things to change.

thelittleguyhelper likes this.
  14. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I know this board is monopolized by the whiners, but why Uber if you hate them so?

15. Tequila Jake

Tequila Jake Well-Known Member

It's not so much that he hates Uber, but he's hoping other people hate them enough to give him $30,000.

New2This likes this.
  16. DMVDriver77

DMVDriver77 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I would rather spend the energy forming a union/group of drivers and go after Uber/Lyft as a bloc, versus...whatever you're trying to do.

From my perspective/observations, Uber drivers have different agendas. Some want to be employees, some (myself included) want to remain an independent contractor (I do this part time, and I have a real job/career.) However, there are items that ALL of us want to get done and would like to be part of the Uber proletariat...

However this deal...I'll pass on that. Get a job, you bum! :p

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  17. Canada647

Canada647 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Ugh what the f? What do you want money for?

18. Amsoil Uber Connect

Amsoil Uber Connect Well-Known Member

Nope, cause like health insurance at will go up 300% in 10 years.

19. thomas1955

thomas1955 Well-Known Member

agtg, the responses you got from the forum are what is to be expected. Your approach to help with the drivers side of the uber platform is good, I've done some union organizing and can tell you the people that are quick to accuse you, are also the quickest to come running when something happens and want you to help them. The only way drivers will get a fair shake is when the regulatory agencies catch up with what uber is doing or the drivers stop driving. Your approach will help with the education of the riding public and raise awareness of the exploitation of workers in this new gig economy.

McGyüber and agtg like this.
  20. DMVDriver77

DMVDriver77 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I would definitely want to help form a rideshare union. I think we definitely need that. I know that it would take a lot more than 5 bucks, would NOT want to be a part of any established union (i.e. SEIU, Teamsters, etc.), and would not want my dues to contribute to any political organization\politician. Would also want transparency...yadda yadda yadda...

However, I am too much of a realist. People who start out with the greatest of intentions are usually the most corruptable. Those who say "not me" to that are usually the ones that fall the first and the hardest...

"Before the cock crows three times..."

(Please resist the urge to turn something Biblical vulgar...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.