1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Without Uber or Lyft, Austin Experiences Skyrocketing DUI Rates

Discussion in 'News' started by SibeRescueBrian, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SibeRescueBrian

SibeRescueBrian Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
  2. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Stupid. Cabs, limos, busses.
    I always suspected Ubers biggest clients were the former drunk drivers of America.
    Too cheap to do anything but drive drunk or rip off an underpaid TNC driver.

3. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

4. Kalikikopa

Kalikikopa New Member

I can see that, and imagine it will happen in Hawaii when the new regulations go into effect. I would drive from midnight until 5am. Almost all of my pax were intoxicated. Many of them said they drove to the bar, but UBER/LYFT was too cost effective to pass up and risk the DUI. Almost all of them said that the UBER/LYFT ride home and back was still at less than half the price of 1 way in a cab, and if a cab was their only option, they would risk the drive.
    I've always thanked them for making that decision, and encouraged them to share that information with their friends.

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  5. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

This article is written in such a way that it makes me think it's a PR stunt by the TNCs.

6. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

7. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    So the price of a cab is what??? 3000℅ less than the price of a DUI, but your pax would rather risk the DUI in the past than pay double Uber prices.
    This just proves the Special Ed World we live in.

8. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Active Member

9. Taxi Driver in Arizona

Taxi Driver in Arizona Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    More Russian propaganda.

SmokestaXX and Trump Economics like this.
  10. Kalikikopa

Kalikikopa New Member

what do you expect, they are drunk. But for real, a $23 uber ride here is a $86+tip ride here.

11. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    What i've noticed from the drunk population, it takes 1 DUI to learn your lesson and start taking cabs.

12. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
  13. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

babaganoosh, cindym, observer and 2 others like this.
  14. I_Like_Spam

Most states suspend your license for a DUI anyhow, so walking and city buses are popular with DUI offenders.

15. I_Like_Spam

What kind of doofus gets loaded an $86 cab ride away from home. That would be at least 25 miles away.

I found most cab patrons going home from a bar tended to be 5 miles or less.

16. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Well... i've personally noticed that it's about $20-25 limit, not necessarily a set distance, usually not much over $15.

Every once in a while someone get's an absolutely ridiculous cab ride that we can't believe just happened taking someone home from work or home from a bar.

I mean absolutely obscene amount of money that they are paying... $50-60 to get home from work, $80-100 going home from a bar.

Then they inevitably tell us on the ride that their uber account is messed up, or their cell phone is broken, all they have is cash or some other such reason that would preclude them from taking an uber and it clicks....

This guy usually pays $25 to get home, not $80.

17. I_Like_Spam

I had just a single trip like that during my cab career- picked up a penitentiary guard at Kangeroo's in North Hills and drove him out to North Huntington at 2 a.m. after he got stuck out there after an after work event. But that was pretty unique. Most of the bar patrons preferred to get loaded a lot more reasonable distance from home.

18. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    This story can easily be disputed by other stories and studies that show Fuber and Let-Down-Lyft have left DUI rates unchanged.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/29/technology/uber-drunk-driving/

The article that was originally quoted is nothing more than PR spin from Fuber, which is designed to trick public opinion into believing they (Fuber) are needed. Austin was smart to stand their ground.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  19. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

Nice to see another driver from Honolulu

20. Demon

Demon Well-Known Member

SibeRescueBrian likes this.