1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why It's Getting Harder for Uber to Break the Law - SLATE 12/22/16

Discussion in 'News' started by Michael - Cleveland, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    LOL, when you put it in those terms...

I think the Sdc tech will be a requirement in 20 years time, after its proven to drastically reduce road fatalities, which is one if the highest causes of death in America. An NY guess is uber will be lobbying hard for Sdc tech to be required on all new vehicles, after they grab a few more patents in that space

My point is that in 28 years you'll have people with 10 yr old used sdcs who are as willing to lend then out for cash as today's drivers are willing to sacrifice time with friends and family to drive. There's always a price a which someone will participate.

2. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And it's not free money, it's earning a fee in exchange for letting someone use an asset that you own. It's called rent, and a very common business model for expensive assets....

For instance, you probably rent your home.

circle1 and Michael - Cleveland like this.
  3. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And why would they have a worse reputation than enron? People LOVE uber. Every passenger loves it. Only disgruntled drivers who think they should make $50-60k per year with no skills are unhappy with Uber. The customers absolutely love it. I have never had a pax sat they wish they could have just taken a taxi instead or deal with their own vehicle. These forums are so short sighted.

4. jester121

jester121 Well-Known Member

Please notify my tax guy, he insists i have to report all those incentives and referral bonuses as income on my return.

I figure Uber lost well over $1000 on our mutual partnership... because I quit driving after about 6 weeks ( part time).

iUBERdc and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  5. iUBERdc

iUBERdc Active Member

30000 Americans day every year by guns but actually more guns are being sold than ever and gun bills die before every leaving a committee in Congress. Americans don't care about other people dying, and Americans will never give up their cars or their guns or their mansions or anything to 'make the world a better cleaner and safer place for other people'

6. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Isn't that assuming that sdc will all be Lexus/BMW/Mecreceds/Tesla?
    Isn't it more likely that as economy of scale in manufacturing does its thing that we will also be talking about 'Toyota Sentra SDC'

Buber2005 likes this.
  7. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Referrals aren't just 'driver incentives' - diver and rider referrals are a 'marketing expense'. That has nothing to do with what income you report.

8. iUBERdc

iUBERdc Active Member

Poor people aren't going to pay extra money to get self driving if they can drive their own car for free

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  9. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    as was noted earlier - when a technology proves to be able to save lives, it will incorporated into the manufacturing. I don't doubt that in a few generations, SDC will be the only cars manufactured - even if they can also be operated manually. In other words - I suspect that at some point in the future auto manufacturers will be required to incorporate self-driving technology.

The less than wealthy who want a new car, right now are strapped with a car payment.
    They/we can drive Uber to try to offset some of that expense - but in addition to the added expenses and depreciation, it also costs us our time. Leasing your car out to a TNC while you're not using it could be a way to more efficiently help defray the cost of car ownership.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Buber2005 likes this.
  10. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yea, nobody really making any of the points you're arguing against buddy... But glad to hear your view on the unrelated matter.

11. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Michael - Cleveland input is on point, much appreciate another reasonable voice in the midst of all the rabble!

12. UberNaToo

UberNaToo Active Member

Both major parties are now owned by the corporations.

Uber will get what it wants with the river of lobbyist money it will rain down on limp &%$@!* politicians ad corporate shills. Only organized labor will bend them to the workers will.

13. RussellP

RussellP Active Member

Are now owned? They've been owned for many many decades... It's supposed to be a republic where we elect representatives to vote on laws on our behalf. Instead we elect them, then they get paid off by corporations to vote on their behalf instead of ours. Welcome to the Oligarchy... With Uber valued at 60 billion and Lyft at 5 billion, I'm sure they'll be sending plenty of money to Washington, and many state capitals to buy their way... If TNC drivers could unionize though we'd all be way better off. There's nothing preventing Uber from screwing drivers over however they want...

14. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes there is: You.
    If enough drivers stop driving, Uber will do whatever it needs to keep the cars on the road.
    However, the likelihood of enough drivers actually hanging it up (when they have mouths to feed) is? Next to zero.

15. Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Have you tried appraising a used car, one year old, with 100k miles on it. Normal car valuation metrics assume 15k annual miles. So I think you will find the value has depreciated more than the +-28% you suggest. Then from that "gross profit" one has to reinvest into a new replacement vehicle...Which will inevitably cost more than the first one. Numbers not so glossy now.

16. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Off topic, but...Seriously, can you change your avatar?

17. Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Driving:
    UberX
    They absolutely "lost money on that rental". On that specific transaction that is. But most of their transactions do not incur that high mileage cost. And your calculation doesn't begin to consider their total overhead costs of running their business. Does that friendly customer service agent work for free?

18. Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    But most people who rent a car don't do that. It's like an all you can eat buffet. Maybe a few people eat so much the restaurant loses money on that person, but most don't.

A lot of rentals are for people whose car is in the shop or while waiting for collision repairs or a new car after theirs is wrecked. They don't drive more than they would anyway. To work and back and the store. I've had many rentals and even delivering pizza I've never put more than 150 miles on one in a day. But for the week it averaged far less. Some days it was 0.

The people that DO rent cars for a road trip are driving highway miles, not through pothole city.

It's just not a good comparison IMO.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd likes this.
  19. Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Driving:
    UberX
    Right, and these will be built for free and by whom. Where will these hundreds of millions in construction costs be accounted for in your model?

20. Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    How are all these cars going to drive 100,000 miles a year when most will be sitting idle 90% of the time IF there are to be enough for times that there is high demand?

It's like a rental company always keeping 10x the number of cars usually rented out just so they can handle it when it's really busy. But they don't. If it gets busy (like when it floods here and suddenly lots more people need cars when theirs get flooded) there are simply not enough. They send them in from other states but it doesn't ever keep up. (I know this from personal experience).

The current system only works for uber because idle cars cost them nothing. Technically, for a driver who already has the car, other than maybe more insurance, if the car is not running, it's not costing him either (except his time if he's in it and not at home). That's not the case if uber has to rent or buy the cars.

Buber2005 likes this.