1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why do we expect tips?

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Geno71, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Nowhere do they "clearly say" tips are welcome. They add on to any language that might be construed to welcome tips that they are "not necessary, not required, the fare is expected to fully compensate the driver" etc. ad nauseum.

People are also misled into thinking tips are included or added in after the fact, due to their previous actions and wording in the app and the ubertaxi tipping option, which many don't even understand is a separate service from uberx.

Everything they do and say is designed to dissuade people from tipping and/or fool them into thinking they already did.

2. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Legally, right now, it has to be one or the other. Maybe there need to be more categories, but right now that's what there are.

I think many businesses have been treating contractors as employees and getting away with it, mainly because the "contractors" were making enough money they didn't care, or they felt they had no choice. It's very likely that many taxi companies have done this. However Uber has so many "contractors" they are treating like employees in many ways, is valued at a huge amount, and flaunts the law in so many other ways, that it has brought the problem to the forefront.

But asking why one or the other? Well, there IS no third option unless laws change.

3. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Does anyone ever stop and think about what that means? That means the restaurant is paying someone $2.50/hour and expecting you to subsidize the wages of people bringing food to your table. Uber has cut rates to minimum wage or below (after expenses) in many markets (looking at you, Memphis). Uber cut rates to the drivers and, instead of expecting customers to subsidize some of the driver's cost through tips, they actively encourage customers to low-ball transportation expenses and stiff drivers. That's a pretty ******y thing to do. Either pay drivers more and cover the tip or shift that expectation onto customers (which is what I think they should do).

Uber should be adding a tip screen to the app, with the expectation that pax tip. They should have to enter a reason if they don't tip and pax stiffing enough drivers should lose their ride privileges, just like they would in a restaurant if they didn't tip.

4. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

If we were all driving Uber vehicles and making the money we make, as big a deal. Since we are all driving our own vehicles and paying for the maintenance and upkeep of these vehicles, tips become all that more important.

Service industries have come to expect tips because tipping has been the custom for, literally, thousands of years in service industries. Since there have been people dragging other people around in rickshaws, there has been additional compensation to the draggers for the effort of going faster and/or farther than they would otherwise go.

Go, Ricky, Go!!

5. strongarm

strongarm Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Sense of entitlement? Here in the great red white and blue we kinda messed up. Back during the great depression restaurant owners couldn't hire staff but people were willing to work for free by earning tips. It became the norm for many services including taxis, pizza delivery, bell hops. This way corporate can keep wages low bc the consumer can pick up the tab. Pretty ****ty if you ask me. Most other countries don't have tipping for these services they might pay more overall but the server or driver is making money. Now U/L when I first started regular rates were around 2.25 mile. People loved it it was cheaper that a cab with little wait time. At that time I didn't expect many tips money was good. Now that rates are below a $1 per mile your not making much money. Of course another funny thing I actually received more tips when the rates were high. So you can blame it on the whole depression if you want. Personally I think people deserve to get paid a fair wage. I wouldn't mind getting rid of tipping altogether. So until those 1%ers like Travis, and Donald start paying employees livable wages well the consumer is going to have to make up the difference. So the next time you tip or get ripped just remember that whole trickle down thing that helps stimulate an economy isn't real it's just another story helping the rich get rich and the poor get poorer.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    kabibe and Strange Fruit like this.

6. thesatanicmechanic

thesatanicmechanic Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Johnjax, your math is still faulty.

Why deduct the IRS mileage allowance from your gross income when it's deductible from your taxable income?

7. Demon

Demon Well-Known Member

And fireman don't have self driving trucks, but no one tips a fireman.

8. Do tell

Do tell Well-Known Member

I do every time they set up the road block for the muscular dystrophy fund,fireman with boots asking for change.I always tip.

9. Demon

Demon Well-Known Member

That's a donation, not a tip.

10. Do tell

The one thing everyone seems to be missing.If we didn't have Obama for president the last seven years 11 months,our economy would be strong and uber wouldn't get away with these low-rate tactics.

11. Do tell

That's exactly the definition of a tip,it's a donation.LOL

12. Do tell

Maybe that's something for a new sign,tips not accepted donations appreciated.lol

13. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Of course you're right.
    & it's more like they treat people looking for employment are hired only as contractors. I know what your saying. It's just annoying how the drivers like to bring it up just for unrelated crap. It has no bearing on real life, however the law is framed. I drive, I make money. I'm not an employee, and the idea of being a contractor sounds silly. I use an app that connects me to rides. Whether I get tipped or not, has nothing to do with contractor or not. It has to do with if a person hands me a tip or not. I get annoyed by people too often though. That's my problem.

14. Strange Fruit

Driving:
    UberX
    Yep, that's what happened. Just that simple. The King of Earth, the O-Man decreed things, and the economy is the way it is now. Thanks professor. I thought the world was complicated, but it's really as simple as CNN & FOX say it is. And we know cuz Do tell told us.

kabibe and Shangsta like this.
  15. Do tell

I love your sarcasm,but I know you speak the truth.LOL. PS don't forget MSNBC

16. strongarm

strongarm Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Haha yeah can't wait for a 1%er to be in charge. Tax cuts for the rich! Like Travis! Oh and politicians don't run the economy. Commerce runs the economy politicians just give tax breaks to the wealthy or atleast that's what we will be seeing soon. Keep shrinking that middle class wooo! Oh and why people don't tip firemen is beyond me. Why not tip them.

kabibe likes this.
  17. Do tell

Okay one example,early on in Obama's tenure.He said the police acted stupidly,then riots occurred throughout his tenure in all the major cities.You mean black people don't get shot by cops before Obama.Of course they did,but there weren't riots.Well,except in 1992 in LA

My point is,Obama set the tone for our country to be depressed and make the meak weaker.

Now we have someone named Donald Trump who talks with strength and not weakness and our economy is already growing.

Speaking of the news channels,did you see all the riots in the malls this past weekend.I didn't see one white person fighting in any of the videos.Just saying

18. Strange Fruit

Driving:
    UberX
    Oooooohh, you were being sarcastic.:oops: Sorry. And MSNBC had too many letters. But since I'm apologizing, I'll type the 5 extra letters to agree.

19. strongarm

strongarm Active Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    No he tweets

20. Do tell

Okay okay I digress,I'll let you guys have at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.