1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What's a "Fly" XL Car ?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mactube, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    As of Jan 1st, many Uber markets require a vehicle that's newer than 2007 for SELECT.

Orlando: 2008
    Miami: 2010 (Uber LUX)
    Atlanta: 2009
    Chicago: 2007
    Detroit: 2008
    Indianapolis: 2008 (as of 3/2017)
    Los Angeles: 2008
    Pittsburgh: 2007 (Uber 'Premium')
    San Francisco: 2008
    Phoenix: 2007
    Houston: 2008
    Dallas: 2009
    New Jersey: 2010 (UberSUV)
    Seattle: 2013
    Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati: 2010

2. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

I vote for a Ford Flex - if you get a limited it's possible that you could convince them to qualify it as a select with the leather seats. Even at FWD it does pretty good in the snow and I get north of 20 mpgs in the city. Mine is a 2009.

3. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Why would you say that?
    Do you know that the Ford Flex is on the eligible vehicle list for SELECT in ANY city?
    'SELECT' is about "luxury brand' and high-end vehicles... the Flex is neither.

4. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Actually the flex is eligible in a lot of cities Denver included.
    Select is not for luxury brands and high end vehicles you're thinking uber black

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  5. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Still 2007 in Denver

6. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    In Denver the range is from 2007-2015 depending on the make & model.
    And the Ford Flex is not on the current SELECT eligible vehicle list: https://www.uber.com/drive/denver/vehicle-requirements/ which does include:
    Ford - Edge (2013 or later)
    Ford - Escape (2015 or later)
    Ford - Expedition (2007 or later)
    Ford - Explorer (2007 or later)
    Ford - F-150 (2013 or later)
    Ford - Fusion (2013 or later)
    Ford - Taurus (2013 or later)
    UberBLACK is for cars that are luxury vehicles covered by commercial (livery) insurance.
    "UberSelect is Uber’s entry-level luxury service that seats up to 4 riders. Select cars are brands like BMW, Mercededs, Audi, etc with a leather interior." (now 'non-cloth' interior)

7. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    There are a couple dozen Ford flex vehicles on select here. Do you really think cars like the Explorer, escape and edge would be on there when the nicer flex isn't?

Some markets allow a 2013 Elantra with cloth on select.
    Select is not a luxury level it's a slightly above average vehicle hence why my bmw 335 and vw passat are both select vehicles

The audi a3 isn't on the select list either but my dad is driving his 2007 a3 on select

Didn't u post that u drive an older GMC Arcadia on select? That isn't exactly bmw Mercedes or audi

8. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Which markets?
    Nowhere does Uber say SELECT is a 'slightly above average vehicle' - I quoted what Uber has to say about Select. But obviously some regional ops managers have set lower standards than others (or some have set higher standards than others?).

My '07 Mercedes was set up as SELECT 2 years ago and remains active - but it would not qualify to be set-up for SELECT today... I suspect the same is true for your dad's '03 Audi. It certainly wouldn't qualify here (even though it may in Denver).
    There is no requirement that a SELECT vehicle be a foreign car. Every region is different and the eligibility list is set by the regional ops manager.

Denver, as you can see from the lists, has lower standards than most other markets.
    The GMC Acadia SLT2 is a 'luxury' 7 pax vehicle - and the one I drive on LUX and XL is a 2009 (ok for Indiana 'LUX' and SELECT - not for Ohio SELECT).

You and I can argue over whether or not the Ford Flex *should* be on the list of eligible cars (I have no problem with it) - but our opinions don't matter. It is not on the list of SELECT eligible vehicles in Denver (or here).

You are right though - a driver can make the argument with Uber and *hope* they can get it approved for SELECT.
    My question was why would you "vote" for (ie: suggest/recommend) a vehicle for XL & Select that isn't on the SELECT eligible vehicle list rather than vote for a vehicle that is on the approved list in the market the driver ( mactubemactube ) was asking about (Los Angeles).

UberSELECT
    Mid-tier luxury sedans command higher fares. See our list of eligible vehicle models, but in rare circumstances other models may qualify.

Additional requirements
    • Model year 2008 or newer
    • Leather or vinyl interior with no tears
    Eligible vehicle models
    Acura - RLX, TL, TLX, ILX
    Audi - A4, A6, A7, A8, S3, S4, S6, S7, S8
    BMW - 3-series, 4-series, 5-series, 6-series 7-series
    Cadillac - ATS, CTS, DTS, STS, XTS
    Hyundai - Genesis, Equus
    Infiniti - G, I, M, Q40
    Jaguar - S-Type, XF, XJ
    Lexus - ES, IS, GS, LS
    Lincoln - MKT, MKS, MKZ, Town Car
    Mercedes-Benz - C-Class, E-Class, S-Class
    Porsche - Panamera
    Tesla - Model S
    Volvo - S60, S80​

9. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Audi a3 not 03 audi

As far as the elantra have you ever watched uber man? He's in Arkansas I believe and that market (among a few others) allows 2013 or newer elantra on select and it doesn't even need leather ish seats

As far as the ford flex while not on the list on the web site if you own one on Denver they will automatically send you an email saying it's eligible for select because it's on the list it's also an acceptable car for Uber Suv since it's on the local PUC list

10. MSUGrad9902

If a Chrysler 300 qualifies for select then a Flex limited with leather seats should also qualify. But it would probably take a trip down to the greenlight hub, which is why I haven't pressed it. I've had quite a few pax tell me to get it set up for select. The Chrysler 300 is on the select list in Detroit.

11. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The chrysler 300 is a very popular car for UberBlack in most markets too . Don't get me wrong I don't think it's a horrible car but it's kind of a horrible car lol

12. MSUGrad9902

Anything FCA (aka Chrysler Dodge Jeep) is sort of a horrible car. And I live about 10 mins from their headquarters.

13. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Speaking of Chrysler , if someone wanted a Plug in Hybrid that would be Eligible for Select and XL (in some markets) you could get the new Pacifica Hybrid with leather and you'd be set . Actually had one as a rental (non hybrid) and thought it was the nicest mini van I have ever been in (except a R series Mercedes which is only kind of a mini van lol)

14. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Where is this 'Arkansas' you speak of? ;)
    Little Rock and Fayetteville do not offer SELECT as a service option (X and XL only).
    And I don't see any Uber service at all in Paragould.
    Please post links to anywhere you find a Hyundai Elantra as an approved vehicle for SELECT - I'm really curious!

Ah - ok - so even though Uber says 'no' to the Flex for SELECT, Uber will invite FLEX drivers to drive SELECT. Sounds like uber!

Uber thought it was a pretty horrible car, too. The 300 was dropped from the UberBLACK list in many cities last year, including: Cleveland, Chicago, LA. (Dallas is still 300 friendly). More importantly, UberBLACK is only available in relatively few cities.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  15. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It's not an approved SELECT vehicle here in CLE. Where do you know that the 2017 Pacifica Hybrid is an acceptable SELECT vehicle?

16. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT

Oklahoma City my bad I was wrong on the market . but 2013+ elantra qualifies for select. Now I had one of these as a rental and it is by far and away the worst car I've ever driven the one I had was a 2016 BIG POS

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  17. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Denver
    Tampa Bay

Forsure (chrysler town and country 2013 and newer ": The Pacifica is the new name of the CT&C)

18. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Thanks... wow... Denver has about the most extensive SELECT list I've seen for any city.
    I hope the Uber OPS MGR there gets transferred to Ohio!

No minivans on the list in Tampa (as in most cities).

Tampa SELECT Eligible vehicle models
    Acura - RDX, RL, RLX, RSX, TL, TLX, ILX
    Audi - A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, S3, S4, S6, S7, S8. Q3, Q5, Q7, R8
    BMW - 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, M3, M5, M6, X1, X3, X4, X5, X6
    Cadillac - ATS, CTS, DTS, SRX, STS
    Chrysler - 300
    Infiniti - EX, FX, G, I, M, Q40, Q50, Q60, Q70, QX50, QX56, QX70
    Jaguar - S-Type, X-Type
    Land Rover - Evoque, LR2, LR3, LR4
    Lexus - ES, GS, GX, IS, LS, LX, RX
    Lincoln - MKC, MKX, MKZ, Town Car
    Mercedes-Benz - C-Class, E-Class, S-Class, GL-Class, G-Class, GLK-Class, M-Class
    Porsche - Macan, Cayenne, Cayman, Panamera
    Tesla - Model S, Model X​

19. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I can understand how some of these POS cars are SELECT eligible in smaller markets... it's surprising that they even offer SELECT in some of these markets (and not in others - for example, CLEVELAND has SELECT, but Akron which is the same driver/rider market just 20 miles south doesn't offer SEELCT).

EDIT:
    Just looked - the Elantra is not on the OKC SELECT list:

Hyundai
    • Equus 2010
    • Genesis 2010
    • Santa Fe 2010

20. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Well then in the last couple days they've changed the list everywhere but denver
    Sorry can't keep up but they were definitely there and people are driving them in those cities.
    I was going to move to Tampa for a job and was looking at the list

I'm not gonna argue with you anymore . Because all you do is pull these lists off the internet that really don't mean anything .