1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What Can I Do To Improve My Rating?

Discussion in 'Ratings' started by Karen Stein, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Karen Stein

Karen Stein Active Member

I've driven Uber for less than a week. As of this moment, my app shows the following statistics:

4.62 Current rating. 42 total trips. 26 rated trips. 20 5-star trips. No issues reported by riders.

Now, I can remember two or three trips that had issues - on one I really messed up on the route - so I don't expect perfect ratings all the time. Yet, I have no clues as to what I can do to improve my ratings.

My car is clean. I dress reasonably decent (tunic / sweater and leggings). Folks are always pretty cheerful.

Any suggestions? What can I do to find out what I'm lacking? Or, to plant the idea of a 5-star rating in their minds?

BTW, I've only had reason to rate three passengers at less than 5-stars. They got three stars, and the main cause was making me wait - then complaining that I wasn't getting them "there" fast enough.

2. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

Don't do anything, just drive and be personable. You will make mistakes, especially at first. Your ratings will come up. They will bounce all over until you get a few hundred rated trips. I got a 1 my first night.

3. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Not everyone is going to rate you. I do not have even 2,000 ratings, and I have well over 3,000 rides (uber e-mailed me a while ago saying I hit that 3,000 ride mark.)

My point being, do you rate every business you come across? No, you are likely to review them once something bad happens, like a wrong turn, or "you took too long". These are the ones who brought your rating down.

Also, it depends on what kind of car you drive. The smaller/older the car looks is what will have riders rate you low.

If you have driven surge events, the riders will rate you low because of the high price. (its not really your fault).

Don't worry about your 4.62. The cut off is supposed to be 4.6 but I do not think Uber actually cuts anybody off purely because of a low rating. If they do, you can always plead to the office to reinstate you and they likely will since they are always in desperate need of drivers (so they make it seem).

You should keep an eye on your rating, but do not take it personal. People will ding you because of your perfume. As wk1102 stated, it takes a while for the numbers to settle down. For instance, mine may go up or down .1 over the course of a month or so.

4. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

Your rating will fluctuate but it really comes down to how likeable you are. Do you give a genuine smile and make eye contact when pax get in? Do you engage in conversation when they are talkative? Do you talk too much when they dont want to?

One thing you should do is request a ride from a higher rated driver and compare their service to yours.

Let me make clear you DO NOT need to buy snacks, water, mints or give pax your aux cord to get good ratings. Just be friendy and personable.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  5. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

I drive an 08 Rouge, sun damagedamage paint on the hood, roof, and back hatch. My ratings are fine. For the most part any poor rating I received, I earned. At least in the lady 500 that count. I'm at 2500+ rated so...

When I first started driving I was nervous, anxious and a little overwhelmed. People can see this and that affects ratings.
    Also I tried too hard, preferred radio station? Too. Hot? Too cold? Preferred route? Blah blah... that **** gets irritating. Now I just start the trip, confirm destination and go. I like to have conversations with them but not all riders want to talk. You can't push it.

Also, and this took me a while to realize, you have to drive smoothly especially if your riders are in the back. They don't want to bounce all over. Don't be granny but remember they are back there.

6. freddieman

freddieman Well-Known Member

i can think of one service that can turbo boost your ratings :)

7. agtg

agtg Well-Known Member

Couple of tips that have helped me in that department:

- I stopped accepting riders who are rated below 4.7. These pax like to play the star wars, which is part of why their own rating is so dinged. Just from doing this alone I saw my rating rise immediately.

- If you have a pax you are almost certain isn't going to tip, tell them at the end of the ride, "I'm giving you 5 stars for being awesome passengers."

This helps, but it can have the effect of making people feel like the stars are equivalent to a tip, which they aren't. But if you can sense they aren't the tipping type does it matter?

8. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

Treat passengers like **** . Drive like you know what you are doing and always be the boss. Perfect turn by turn GPS. That's all you can do . Drive smooth. Don't think about 4.6 . Ratings will come up on its own. there will be 1 or 2 passengers once a day who will ruin your day . Give them 1 star and move on .

9. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Driving smooth is key. Don't accelerate on turns, brake well before you have to. Sometimes that guy in front is an idiot, you can't help but to slam on your brakes, but this applies to stop signs, and red lights, you can see them changing from a mile away. How? Look at the pedestrian light. If you see it counting down, you know how much time you have before it turns yellow. If it turns yellow, don't slam on your brakes, go through it. Don't speed up either.

Driving smooth also does wonders on your car. I usually double the life of my brakes. Accelerating on turning will mess up your tie rods/cv joints faster. (maybe not those parts, but you do put stress on the things that turn your car when you accelerate at the same time). Could be a urban myth, but why even take the chance.

Do not be the first car to get up to 35 mph from a red light. You will notice your gas mileage will magically appear to go up.

You can speed, but don't "rush". If the other cars are doing 80mph in a 65mph, you can to (although your burning more gas then you have to). What I mean by not rushing, don't slam on the accelerator, weave through traffic, etc.

I go 2-5mph over the speed limit and put it on cruise control. EVEN on side streets. 99% Customers appreciate you are driving safe, plus you don't have to worry about being pulled over. In all reality, in a 10 mile trip, you are not going to save enough time by speeding thats going to make a huge difference.

If you drive 80mph instead of the posted 60mph, your only going about 3 blocks faster a minute. Not worth the added wear and tear, gas loss, the stress when you pass a cop, etc.

*Drive like your holding a cup of coffee.

10. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

This is not true I had a 4.96 in an 05 Toyota Corolla before it got too old. I have a lower rating in my 2013 car.

A car can help your ratings but unless the car is dirty or in bad shape it wont hurt them

elelegido and Sueron like this.
  11. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Corolla's are not too small. I have this car in mind that I saw one day with this really big business guy in and we were both leaving the airport. I am pretty sure the guy did not have more than a small bag because I do not see how you could fit a medium suitcase in the car, or two people's luggage. I can not think of the name though, but it was a hatchback. It was almost a Smart car size but with 4 doors. But back to op's post, I know people get upset about leg room. I have cancelled on small cars before and I am not even that tall.

A lot of people will see the car model, but not know what/how small that car actually is until it comes.

Also, if they are a returning rider, its possible they took a Suburban or BMW, Tesla, etc. on x before and will expect that experience every time. Thus, they did not have 5 star experience this time around and you get a 4.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    melusine3 and Shangsta like this.
  12. touberornottouber

touberornottouber Active Member

I'm kind of new too with about 60 trips with a 4.91 rating. From what I see the biggest things are navigation and having the gift of chat (and also knowing instinctively when to shut up and drive). Beyond that in my opinion a lot of it is about WHO you pick up and the area of town you work as well as when.

To get your ratings up you probably want to stick to the daytime and work with tourists (so go to the tourist areas). This will tend to bring your ratings up in my experience. Working at night, particularly around bar closing, or working with students or people getting to work comparatively tends to lower ratings in my opinion. The students seem to be more critical and the people going to work are often in a rush and will be mad at you because they made the mistake of ordering the Uber at the last minute and they assumed you would get there in three minutes and not run into any traffic or stop lights.

For the gift of chat, always try to find something in common with the passenger. But here's the catch. It has to be natural. You have to be relaxed when doing it. If not people will catch on to that and it will make them uncomfortable. Also if someone is buried in their phone or there are multiple passengers talking to each other and they are ignoring you then just let them be. Wait for the end of the ride and shoot them a big smile and wish them heartfelt good day/night.

Of course if you have body odor, have a dirty car, text or take other phone calls while driving, or are rude to the customer then these will lower your ratings too.

IF none of the above seems to work for you, then I would suggest you just stop looking at the ratings and kind of take a "whatever" attitude and just be yourself. Being relaxed will only help. Being all uptight and worried about being kicked off of Uber could only lead to a self fulfilling prophecy.

13. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Really good advice so far. Just remember that this early on it is really all about math - one non-5 will shift your rating pretty wildly with such a low sample size. If you are still driving with hundreds of trips under your belt, a 1 star then will hardly register. Uber knows this and is supposed to give you a grace period while you figure things out and build up your rating.

My two biggest tips would be to really learn your area and be (or at least appear) competent with navigation. And secondly, be confident and don't be overly attentive to the passengers. If they want something, they will ask. Don't be on edge offering mints and worrying about your rating. You will inevitably come off like a desperate salesman and that is just a huge turn off to most people. I look back on my first few weeks - how I acted, dressed - and just laugh now.

And do not take this the wrong way but as a woman, you will have to deal with sleazebags who will proposition you and give a retaliatory 1-star when you refuse. That is disgusting and totally unfair, but it will happen so guard against if you can early on.

Lastly, don't take your rating personally. People rate low for any number of stupid reasons (heck, even on accident) and a lot of riders do not even understand how the rating system works (or that THEY get rated as well!). Just go read some Google or Yelp reviews of a business near you and have a good laugh at some of the reasons people give for 1-star reviews lol

14. stephan

stephan Active Member

Uber won't disactivate you ,I was 4.1 lol. ,send me email warning about disactivating me I said just disactivated it ,won't care if pax is rude I'm rude too. If pax silly and ******ed and rate.me low just because I don't give them water or lick them, most of the arguments I had were girls and women lol I rated them low and no more pick up from me, and block them. Just send uber about you don't want to get ping from these people, you will be allset, even if uber disactivate you,they will ask you to take classes, you pay 50$ I think, if you ignore them,a week's later they will reactivate you, who wanna drive for uber ? Only if you drive in nice place with a good surge and tips and promotions. Which only a few drivers can do.

Aaron Beauchamp likes this.
  15. Buddywannaride

Buddywannaride Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    A 4.7 is paid the same as a 4.9. It matters not.

16. DriveMeNot

DriveMeNot Active Member

Always give all riders 5 stars. They could see if their score went down after the trip and rate you bad. Usually if you have a problem and you want to rate the rider bad. Give them first 5 stars then after fee days contact Uber and request a change of rating.

melusine3 likes this.
  17. Karen Stein

Karen Stein Active Member

After another week of driving, my rating is 4.74, slightly better than last time.

The first few days had a 'learning curve,' where I quickly saw things I needed to address.

The GPS navigation has been a real blessing - though I'm quickly learning it has a few flaws.

I goofed in my earlier post - I've never rated anyone less than 4 stars. Being late is the sin there - though one gent I think I'll avoid. He's not ready when I arrive, yet it's "my" fault he's late for work :(

Kembolicous and Danny3xd like this.
  18. Kevin4163

Kevin4163 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Find his trip in the trip history and go into the rider feedback portion of the help menu. Tell Uber you don't want to be matched up with this rider anymore. He'll then be some other driver's problem next time he needs a ride.

Danny3xd and Michaacb like this.
  19. UberChix

UberChix Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    When I first started my ratings were pretty low too. I would recommend not telling the passengers you're new (you would think it would bring out a little compassion, but instead I think it just makes them watch you too closely for mistakes.) Also don't apologize for every tiny mistake or for things you have no control over or more importantly for things that were their fault. I found myself apologizing too much in the beginning, "oops, sorry about that bump!", "You need to pull the door closed, I don't have the automatic doors, sorry!", "Sorry it took me a couple minutes extra to get to you, it looks like you dropped the pin in the middle of the street rather than entering your address." For me when I stopped doing those things my ratings immediately got better.

Edit to add: Also, I give most everyone 5 stars. I click the 5 stars while they are getting out of the car and keep that up so that they see it. When they see you are rating them 5 stars I think it puts the idea in their head that they should do the same for you.

Fostel, melusine3, El Janitor and 2 others like this.
  20. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing! Well-Known Member

I used the, "I'm new" card for 2 months! I think it can be especially helpful for females. Most decent people will instinctively want you to succeed. Also, mention you're ubering to pay for little Tina's orthodontia. Watch the 5's and tips roll in!