1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

We need to unionize

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Miggy, Mar 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Miggy

Miggy Member

I know this has been said before. I know nothing has come of them before. But this is something that is clearly needed. We are thousands. We should be calling the shots. Its really very simple:

Uber and Lyft compete over passengers but they also need to compete over drivers. Something I don't think enough drivers have noticed. We need to band together and pit one company against the other in order to get what we need.

What I believe we need to get these companies to agree to (Remember I'm from NJ so I only know the problems we face here):
    - Higher rates at least 1.25 per mile (Here in NJ its .85) and .25 cents per minute (.15 here in NJ) - Obviously this would be different state by state and city by city some of the larger cities like NY and LA can call for higher rates
    - No more harassment over ignoring passengers. There are many reasons why we do this and we are not employees we are sub contractors it is our right to do so
    - No more rate changes without consulting the union first.
    - Lower percentage they take. Uber takes 20% from me and I'm hearing they are starting to do 25% from new drivers.... for what? They do nothing and have no overhead."
    - Here in NJ going into the city is aggravating, we can not pick up in NY and it takes 30-40 minutes to get out of NYC so we can get back to earning. We need a 10 extra surcharge to drop off in NYC and our rate per minute and mile should jump up as soon as we enter NY in case we have to drop off upstate NY and then have to drive an hour back

Unions need funding to do the things they do:
    I know we are all struggling to make ends meat. which is why I call for donations not union fees. I don't like fees. Perhaps in the future once we actually accomplish making it so that drivers are earning better pay we can talk about a small fee to help pay for the Union reps time and office. Pay for lawyers to help us in legal battles and so on. But I think this fee could be as little as 1-5% of pay preferably on the lower end of that spectrum. But for now it would be donations to help fund the union to help pay for the time of the guys going out there and fighting for your rights.
    I believe a website should be set up that shows how much money is donated and exactly where it is all going. There would be legal stipulations that the money is to be used for the Union so that no one can take the money and run without seeing a class action lawsuit.

I'm sure there are some issues I haven't thought of and we can talk about those. But we need to unionize we need to get thousands together.
    I would like to start with the NJ drivers and NY drivers and then start moving into PA and CT and keep expanding this union with a union rep in each state to help fight for the drivers per state by state basis. Of course thats because I'm here in NJ if any other drivers want to start in their states thats awesome too and we should help each other do so. We should be one big union with union state divisions under it. Also I would like to see a Rider owned rideshare app one day. Something this Union can help bring about.

So who's with me on this? Lets do this

ErkanAk, leonsfc, mother1987 and 2 others like this.
  2. Miggy

Miggy Member

BTW idk why it says I'm a new member. I've been driving for 10 months and have seen my wages decrease consistently while I drive more and more.

ChortlingCrison likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Seems as though you're all alone on this one..

4. Realityshark

Realityshark Well-Known Member

Do it. You're in charge.

ChortlingCrison and uber strike like this.
  5. uber strike

uber strike Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    i know that uber is just an app. uber has zero cars. we have the power to fight and make demands on uber and overcome, but we will never beat uber collectively as long as there are drivers willing to drive for chump change. you can only beat uber individually. or else uber will beat you. how? by not giving uber your car for cheap rates. either find a job or wait for surge and work surge only. refusing to drive for cheap rates is the only way you can beat uber. as time goes on maybe enough drivers will refuse to drive at these rates and uber will restore the rates. then you can come back.

ErkanAk and ChortlingCrison like this.

6. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

I'm in!!!!!

7. RichR

RichR Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Bingo! And one man's chump change is another man's beer money.

Ridesharing has opened up the taxi business to hobbyists. Hobbyists don't require a "living wage." The time when a person could expect to make a good living driving passengers around town are coming to an end.

phillipzx3 likes this.
  8. DatShoGuy

DatShoGuy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    None of us could afford to pay union dues

10. ChortlingCrison

There's no such thing as "hobbying " for uber. I suppose if the rates were 0, you'd still be driving for uber because it's a hobby to you.

11. RichR

RichR Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You suppose wrong. Uber is only one of my hobbies that happens to bring in some money. In fact, the challenge of maximizing my profit is one of the things that I enjoy about it.
    Oh, really, what makes you think so?

If you haven't seen it already, you might want to check out the long, currently-featured thread about driving for Uber as a hobby, with plenty of input from both sides.

12. ChortlingCrison

I nominate Rich to be the union rep. All in favor!!!!

uber strike likes this.
  13. uber strike

Driving:
    UberX
    here's another creep that does uber as a hobby

14. ChortlingCrison

It's par for the course. It'll be interesting to see if he has a rap sheet, that somehow uber conviently overlooked,.

15. uber strike

Driving:
    UberX
    no rap sheet. just a creep that does uber as a hobby. you don't have to have a rap sheet to commit crime. the uber murderer had no rap sheet.

16. ChortlingCrison

That might be true in this case, but there have been cases where the uberbackgrounds failed to recognize them. That's why uber doesn't require fingerprint checks. They can sign up alot more drivers.

17. Realityshark

Realityshark Well-Known Member

Damn Son, feed the homeless, read to blind people, volunteer at retirement homes. Your hobby consists of making a few axxholes rich, while destroying your car. Get a grip.

18. ChortlingCrison

I think richie's been brainwashed into thinking that driving uber for almost free is helping out the community.

uber strike likes this.
  19. Miggy

Miggy Member

Lol glad to see some interest in this post. I'm looking into starting a Union or Association getting a website up and the such.

For those of you who say "We can't beat Uber collectively" Either you are an Uber plant meant to cause discouragement or your extremely ignorant about how things work

The chump change argument is legit but flawed. If the group goes out there contacting these drivers getting them to join us I think it would lower the amount of people driving for chump change.. who wouldn't want to make more money by simply joining a group. I'm not calling for strikes I know we all have to eat just calling for collective bargaining. 90% of negotiations happen without strikes. Don't let nay sayers discourage us

I saw someone say they can't afford Union dues... I agree which is why I call for donations in the beginning until we can get Uber to start paying more in one way or another. I mean we are thousands if 5000 drivers donate 10 bucks a month thats 50K a month more than enough to pay for lawyers union reps offices advertisements so on and so forth

20. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

The new york unions were fighting over the right to unionize us until they agreed to wait for the lawsuit. When we win the lawsuit it will all come together as unions finally get to fight to become our union. Just wait it out.