1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Vehicle qualifies for XL/Select/Black. Worth extra costs to do Black?

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by blackice, May 1, 2016.

1. blackice

blackice Member

I'm in San Diego and am about to buy a vehicle that qualifies for XL/Select/Black. Is it worth the extra costs to be able to do Black in addition to the other classes?

2. Tam N

Tam N Member

I think you need commercial insurance to do Black. The Select sounds like a good deal though

3. ubersuv14

ubersuv14 New Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Go SUV, 2012 or newer navigator. Puts you on top of the food chain.

4. ajdavis

ajdavis New Member

I'm out of jax fl and thought that we had to have commercial insurance to drive for uber period. Is this not the case? I too thought to upgrade my car but am struggling to make great money now with my Buick lacrosse 2005 which is in excellently condition, has less than 90,000 miles on it brought it from the one and only person whoever owned it. And I get compliments about my car all the time... But back to the question. Do we have to get the city lic. and medallion plus upgrade our insurance to commercial in order to drive for uber legally? People are telling me not to worry about it but if I plan to make a living driving then I want to do it right...

5. Bigblueboing

Bigblueboing New Member

You can only do select and xl.
    Black and sub is closed here. Plus you need tcp, puc, airport, cmml ins.

6. DCBlackCar

DCBlackCar Member

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    If Black Car is open in your area and you plan to do this full time, then yes. It can definitely be worth your time and investment. Because you may only have 3 years to work with (in DC, black cars can't be older than a 2013), I'd recommend getting a 2017 suv so that you'll be good for the rest of 2016 and you'll have all of 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Black suvs can get both UberBlack and UberSUV requests.

I'd suggest a long suv (Suburban, Expedition EL, Yukon XL, Navigator L). You need 3 rows, but you also need to have space for your passengers' luggage. A Lincoln MKT is small and cute, but you can't carry passengers and luggage on airport runs; there just isn't enough space.

You'll need a for hire license (limousine license), for hire registration (limousine registration), and commercial (limousine insurance).

7. Flarpy

Flarpy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Good god man.. if you're still Oobering four years from now you should seriously reconsider your life choices. Invest that time in an actual career, not an endless "gig!"

8. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    If you're going to do Black you need to use Uber to generate private clients . Since you have to get commercial insurance, plates , commercial auto loan and start a corporation you should basically create a transportation company , create a good logo , web site etc. and pass out your cards to Black and Select Customers .

I'm doing UberSelect in Denver and it's great , I am planning on ditching my current car for a car that Qualifies for Select and XL . My top choice now is a Lincoln MKT and i Know the rear storage is limited if you have 6 passengers but I think it would work out just fine 95% of the time . It would also qualify for Black if I ever decided to go that route . I hate driving UberX rates they're just too fricking low , if you have a vehicle that qualifies for both Select and XL you'll stay busy without doing X rides
    Some markets the Chrysler Town and Country qualifies for Select (they're crazy nice for mini vans) that would be a good choice too as it has more luggage room then an MKT and can be had quite cheap . In Denver you have to have a 2013 or newer so you'd want a 2015 since it will soon be 2014 but you can pick up a 2015 for around $15k nicely loaded , and the stow and go seats are nice for personal use if you need to move or haul something bigger

9. Flarpy

Flarpy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    But why would people want to hire you privately if they could just hire Uber black again?

I'd be surprised if anyone who needs regular black car service would hire Uber black to begin with.

Just wondering.

Dannyboss likes this.
  10. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    People like familiarity . I've had a few people now that have my number and text me for airport rides . They always tip me $20 and book though UberSelect and I don't drive anything special 2015 VW Passat SEL . That's just select .
    I've talked to a couple Black drivers and they all tell me that they got into Uber Black and then created a private client list and only use Uber to fill downtime and meet new clients

Graham_DC, homeyt and Flarpy like this.
  11. JoeChargersfan

JoeChargersfan Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    For uberBlack you need to have a TPC number and airport permit which isn't cheap. Also Uber wants proof of a 1 million dollar commercial insurance policy.

12. JoeChargersfan

Driving:
    UberXL
    I'm an XL driver and your going to need the room for luggage. Most people i know that drives SUV uses the longer versions of the SUV for the extra room for luggage. Get a Escalade or Navigator.

13. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yeah I've hear this before . I don't like the Navigator or Escalade and I weirdly really enjoy the MKT . Most people who order XL get a mini van the MKT has about the same capacity as a minivan . I wouldn't want to buy a car I dislike and then be stuck with if I stopped doing uber or got deactivated

If someone needs to transfer 6 passengers and a bunch of luggage they need to order a BlackSUV

14. JoeChargersfan

Driving:
    UberXL
    4 years ago I had a MKT and now I have a
    toyota sienna 8 passenger van and can say the MKT has nothing close to the luggage or room as my mini van. But I agree get whatever you like since your the one making the payments.

15. Way2Lucky

Way2Lucky Member

I spent 25 years in global logistics in Chicago and was "restructured" at the age of 50. Nobody in Chicago is hiring 50+ for ANY field, so it's either this or part-time retail. After being out for over a year, I'm now looking for positions out of state but rideshare is it for now. I don't wish this situation on anyone and know how many other full time drivers are stuck in the same ****ty situation. The employment world has changed and anyone with significant "experience" now represents a payroll liability.

The other day I pulled up a posting on LinkedIn that had only been there four days. They already had 29 applicants, 53% with degrees, another 32% with MBA's and the rest with "other" undefined degrees. The job is only a $50K, first-level analyst position!!!

16. Flarpy

Flarpy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    "Only $50k"... haha I'd love to find a job that paid $50k.

Way2Lucky likes this.
  17. Way2Lucky

Way2Lucky Member

You and I both. Then perhaps this UBER stuff would suck less. Nah, it would still pretty much suck anyway.

18. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Not everywhere. In WI State Farm offers an $11/per month rider on your regular insurance to cover you during the time Uber doesn't. It is not considered a commercial policy.

19. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

There are several threads here just in the past few days saying that Uber is closing down Black and Select in major markets. So I would guess the answer is "no".

20. QuietInTheBack

QuietInTheBack New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Who are you to tell anyone else that they should be doing with their time? You should probably stick to concerning yourself with your own affairs.