1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

UP forums wants Uber, and it's drivers, to just go away.

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by The D.A.G., Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

This is the forumite known as agtg. I created a thread a couple months back to gauge interest in starting an advocacy group. There was a good deal of interest, so I created an indiegogo kickstarter campaign to raise money to get one off the ground.

After contacting the people who run UP, it's clear they aren't interested in anyone coming together meaningfully through these forums.

Drivers should walk away from this place, it's not operating for your best interests whatsoever.

UP wants Uber, and their drivers, to just go away.

Telsa33 and circle1 like this.
  2. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

That is exactly the kind of attitude which will prevent you from successfully organizing.

Josh88 and RightTurnClyde like this.
  3. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

This forum has an "advocacy" section. That's very disingenuous if they aren't going to allow people to come together in a meaningful way.

circle1 likes this.
  4. Driving and Driven

How, exactly, are they preventing you from your advocacy?

5. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

They won't allow people to come together to support an indiegogo kickstarter campaign to create an advocacy group.

The campaign is a "fixed funding" one, which means if the goal isn't met everyone would get their money back. Additionally, the up front commitment is very small ($15).

This place is obviously run by people who are taxi drivers. As long as Uber looks bad, they look good. But they certainly don't give a crap about Uber drivers or what we as drivers have to deal with. They just want Uber and their drivers to go away.

circle1 likes this.

6. Driving and Driven

They have a rule about posting links. I posted a link to a third-party app which tracks mileage and benefits all of our tax returns. I had no vested interest in the app. They would not let me post it. I can respect that.

If there was ever a possibility of you convincing them to allow you to post it, ranting angrily about it on the forum would not be the path I imagine would work.

7. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

I've watched drivers spin their proverbial wheels here for too long. This place could organize countless drivers in a matter of weeks with the proper approach, but that would be counter to their goals as moderators.

This place is run by livery people to discredit Uber. But Uber isn't going anywhere. They were able to come into each market without restraint, and that is not by accident.

The taxi cab industry is dying a slow death. They were "de-regulated" in one fell swoop, only they don't know it yet.

The only option is for taxi drivers and uber drivers to come together in order to restrain Uber market by market. But since they don't want that, they're going to fall for the trap of trying to cling to their own industry when their industry has been made obsolete through tricky media and political intrigue.

circle1 likes this.
  8. Driving and Driven

With organization comes regulation. With regulation comes a mass exodus of drivers.

9. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

The open-ended nature of rideshare would ultimately have to be addressed, but that can be done with wisdom and fairness.

10. Driving and Driven

And heavy regulation will help? Drivers would LOVE being told how to do their job in detail.

and where will THAT come from? I wonder.

11. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

Which is exactly why drivers need representation to address the problems. That's called "advocacy."

circle1 likes this.
  12. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Definition of "Fair": I get what I want!

13. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

As I understand this, your complaint with UP is they will not let you use their website for your fundraising purposes. No offense, but that's like 1-starring a driver who won't let you smoke in their Uber!

Sites like this are private websites and they formulate whatever rules they want. Kinda like "my car, my rules."

If someone can't live with their rules, the fix is to go start their own website and run it as they see fit.

LAuberX, JBigotes and RightTurnClyde like this.
  14. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

True enough, and it completely reveals the motive behind this forum.

15. Driving and Driven

Your sarcasm is recognized and appreciated.

16. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

The forum autopilot just awarded me a trophy for likeability. :cool:

Driving and Driven likes this.
  17. The D.A.G.

The D.A.G. Member

18. circle1

circle1 Well-Known Member

. . . right, but through grass-roots advocacy, not entrenched tired-old institutions.

19. circle1

circle1 Well-Known Member

. . . OR, we get what we want!

The D.A.G. likes this.
  20. Driving and Driven

Have you ever tried to get 40k drivers and an international corporation to all agree on something? Anything? Let alone several things?

If you have, you should be in politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.