1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber Upfront Fares

Discussion in 'Notifications' started by acanas, Aug 18, 2016.

1. acanas

acanas Member

Attached Files:

2. acanas

acanas Member

Amazing how Uber can give the passengers an exact amount for how much they'll get charged ahead of time and yet the driver doesn't see how much he made for the ride until a few minutes AFTER the ride has ended. We should really shame them on this one twitter or something. It's absolute BS that we don't get the same information so we can make educated decisions about which rides to take!

3. acanas

acanas Member

Upfront fares: no math and no surprises

Imagine buying an airline ticket without knowing the full fare until the end of your trip. Or booking a hotel room online and being told that the real price would be 1.3X. Yes, that sounds odd—but it’s what happens with many Uber trips today.

We moved to upfront, per trip fares—just like airlines and hotels—two years ago when we launched uberPOOL. Riders needed to enter their destinations so we could match them with other people headed the same way. This allowed us to calculate the actual fare in advance and show it to riders before they booked their ride.

Knowing how much a ride will cost in advance is clearly something riders appreciate: today uberPOOL accounts for over 20 percent of all rides globally. And we now want more riders globally to benefit from this feature.

So in April we began slowly introducing upfront fares for regular uberX trips in cities across the US and more recently in India, with more to follow. To date, hundreds of thousands of riders have experienced upfront fares as part of this rollout.

Upfront fares are calculated using the expected time and distance of the trip and local traffic, as well as how many riders and nearby drivers are using Uber at that moment. And when fares go up due to increased demand, instead of surge lightning bolts and pop-up screens, riders are given the actual fare before they request their ride. There’s no complicated math and no surprises: passengers can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

4. DriverX

DriverX Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'd guess they hedge the fare a little higher than the actual cost that they estimate they will pay the driver. That way Uber can pocket the differential in what they pay you for your actual time/miles. plus they keep the commission and fee on top.

It might be as small as 5-10 cents, but with millions of trips world wide everyday those nickles add up fast.

5. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

There was nothing wrong with the original system that based their fare on their pickup and destination. Anyone out there have any problem with them giving the rider an estimate based on their pickup and destination? I know I don't and I use Uber sometimes myself.

I don't even know what the difference is between the old system and this alleged new system. They will get an estimate based on the pickup and destination that could change depending on if they change the destination.

In fact, now the passenger can cry and complain because even though they moved the destination(and we know most of the passengers wind up changing their destination anyhow) and ask why they got charged a different price than the "up front pricing". How many times now are we going to see our fares change or even disappear completely after a rider complains, as if it wasn't happening so much already(see the many threads regarding trips completely disappearing).

6. OlDirtySapper

OlDirtySapper Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Yeah this is ****ed. But what are we gonna do its not like you can sue them. Riders would never request a fare and be like oh i need to stop here. The only joy I get out of this job is knowing that the idiots running this company will never manage to get their robocars out. Hell they can't even turn a profit in the current system.

7. calmman

calmman Member

Upfront fees make it possible to have more business during "surge" as now surge isn't visible to a rider - rider just have to agree on the price. So agreeing to $10 is easier if you do not know that "normally" it'd cost you $5.

8. PTB

PTB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    passengers ask me all the time at the end of the trip, what is the fare?

sorry Uber is still PROCESSING

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 8.48.12 PM.png

2Cents likes this.