1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Tip is not required

Discussion in 'Tips' started by excel2345, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. secretadmirer

secretadmirer Well-Known Member

Gravelaine: his screen name says it all. Since he doesn't drive, there's no need for a well thought out response.

2. There’s no need to tip

There’s no need to tip Active Member

Yup, keep taking the easy way out.

ColdRider likes this.
  3. secretadmirer

All of this makes me appreciate driving a cab again. I may not get tipped on every fare but at least the rates are much higher like $3/mile and split half of it with the company. These kind of pax on here ( who boast about not tipping), are the ones you find when the rates are like .60/mile. Good riddance to them.

ChortlingCrison likes this.
  4. secretadmirer

All of this makes me appreciate driving a cab again. I may not get tipped on every fare but at least the rates are much higher like $3/mile and split half of it with the company. These kind of pax on here ( who boast about not tipping), are the ones you find when the rates are like .60/mile. Good riddance to them.

5. Uberduberdoo

Uberduberdoo Well-Known Member

6. promdog

promdog Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    "Tip Your Uber Driver" is a great article.... especially when you get to the comments on the bottom stating an overwhelming "No" in response. That should be enough to smack some sense into you. The InterWebs has spoken.

By the way, I'm a driver and I don't believing in tipping. :eek:

7. There’s no need to tip

I love these responses:

What do you think lifting up a bag is worth? It's roughly 30 seconds of effort. At $20/hr, and 3600 seconds per hour, moving bags is worth about $0.15 - nice work.

The problem with this entitlement mentality is that these people aren't capable of anything but unskilled labor, so they assume the inverse is true too - that people who have real careers are incapable of doing manual labor. News flash to those guys: I can do your job myself. You can't do mine. Your living depends on my value on my time and energy being too high to lift a bag or wash a sock if someone else will do it. But don't go thinking that this is somehow a valued skill. When you get uppity enough to scream, "do it yourself then!" you know we'll say? "Okay!" And you can kiss your unskilled job goodbye. I don't see you tipping me every time you play a video game, even though I probably wrote some part of the game engine, the graphics driver, or the OS. Now imagine if I copped the same attitude, "tip me or make your own driver!"

ColdRider likes this.
  8. Uberduberdoo

I don't need to be sense smacked, thanks, I have plenty. As a driver, I'll only drive at a 2.5x surge or higher, which covers a fair payment for my services. At this point, the lack of tipping doesn't affect me as it does drivers opeating at base rates. If i were a rider I would tip the driver because I know their compensation has suffered. I guess kinda like you tipping the driver even though you don't believe in tipping; there's a reason you do it. I'm sure the comments go each way as its the nature of debate. Because one particular view overwhelms the other doesn't make it the principal.

9. ksk2000

ksk2000 New Member

as a fellow nyker...theres no way in hell i would tip a yellow cabby. About 98% of them do not deserve ?%*^& ... I'm sure he knows this.

10. There’s no need to tip

Haven't been in an actual yellow in some time but I assume the experience is just as bad as I remember......

11. Backdash

Backdash Well-Known Member

This begs the question if 98% of them do not deserve a tip does the 2% that do deserve a tip get one?

12. ksk2000

ksk2000 New Member

yes, when i think someone deserves it i do alot more then the norm. Its far and few in between tho. It usually happens in other states besides nj and ny. When i was in miami i tipped 50%...yea might sound stupid, but it was cause i was so desensitized to ny culture.

13. Backdash

Cool!
    So if you don't mind me asking, what is it that the 2% of yellow cabbies that you will tip do that you consider deserving of a tip?

14. Backdash

crickets....

15. promdog

promdog Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    The reason why I tip the driver even though I don't believe in tipping is because 1. and 2. I really enjoy giving.

I would probably tip my gaming software developer too if there was a means to do so. :)

16. Uberduberdoo

I see, you are a gifter not a tipper.
    Uber should change the wording from "no need to tip" to " always gift your driver just dont call it a tip"
    Damn, now There's no need to tip has to open a new account; ? There's no need to gift.:eek:
    So as you really enjoy giving, to perfect strangers I might add, for no other reason than you own enjoyment, here is my Go Fund Me account ******........:confused:

17. There’s no need to tip

Ha, I don't even really use this account much anymore. Just got tired of the fight. Had a bachelor party last week. Took a bunch of Ubers. Had a discussion about tipping Uber while on a shuttle bus (not Uber) to an event. I presented all the facts you guys mention here about Uber. You guys would be proud. 1 of the guys was an ex-uber driver and confirmed all the info. Some friends didn't care and will still not tip, I think 1 will start tipping though so you got at least 1 convert.

18. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

I think the bus is the perfect transportation for you. I'm glad you found where you belong.

UberKevPA and Sure like this.
  19. 14gIV

14gIV Well-Known Member

what is it with you and busses

20. os2wiz

os2wiz Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You neglected to point out that when Uber started this cashless, tipless utopia the minimum fare and the $/mile were double what they are now. That's what the drivers signed up for. Uber unilaterally cut the fares in half retroactively. Many drivers cannot make a profit at this fare rate, but have no other place to go for work. There's no sourgrapes going on when the terms of your agreement are changed after the fact.

I realize that you think that this is not your problem, and I'm OK with that. What if Uber capitulates and puts a tipping function into the ap? Where will you get your tipless, cashless ride then? Taxi? Lyft? Or if every driver did what they should and what you suggest, which is stop driving for Uber, you would lose your cashless, tipless ride anyway.