1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Tip is not required

Discussion in 'Tips' started by excel2345, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. scooterabc

scooterabc Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Tipping isn't required. Neither is picking up a passenger or giving them a good rating. 5 star passengers always tip. 4 star passengers don't. The only control drivers have in this situation is to educate passengers when possible (which is VERY frequently) and to rate passengers as you would want the next driver to see.

This evening I took 5 rides between 6 pm and 8 pm, all fairly local and under 8 miles. The payout from the 5 rides was $33.93. The tips from the 5 rides came from 3 of the rides and totaled $14.00.

the rides:

1. 2.5 mile 1.5 surge no tip, payout $3.79 got rated as 3 star
    2. 6.5 miles, 1.6 surge, $6 tip, payout $9.64 got rated as 5 stars. 3 passengers. One of the passengers wanted me to settle a disagreement with one of the others. She said that she always tips and thinks that it is good form, the other thought that tips were included. I explained the situation and now hopefully the other two are better educated.
    3. 7.1 miles, 1.8 surge, $5 tip, payout $11.40 got rated as 5 stars.
    4. 6.7 miles, no surge, $3 tip, payout $6.20 got rated as 5 stars. This one was interesting because one of the passengers said to the other that the tip is automatically setup on the phone. I interrupted and told her that there was no automated tipping mechanism with Uber and that if they wanted to tip it was typically done with cash. They were happy to tip. 2 more people educated.
    5. 2.7 miles, no surge, no tip, payout $2.90 got rated as 2 stars. This was particularly annoying because unlike passenger 1 who was some kid probably getting to his minimum wage job, this couple was affluent and going from an expensive neighborhood to a very expensive steakhouse.

I'll probably go out after dinner and see what the evening has in store for me. I was very pleased to experience more people tipping and more people discussing tipping. I think we are making progress.

2. promdog

promdog Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    This may be absolutely true that "intended doesn't make it so". However, what makes it not so is not the fault of the user nor should it be made the user's responsibility.

Actually, the fault and responsibility is shared between Uber and the driver.

3. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

If my boss cut my pay, I would not work there anymore. I wouldn't expect others to make up the difference.

I'm not sure why many of you would.

4. scooterabc

scooterabc Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's a good passenger's responsibility to TIP unless there is an extremely good reason not to.
    It's Uber's fault that passengers need so much education on this topic.
    Passenger ratings are about the only vehicle we have for fixing this problem.
    Eventually either rates will go up or passengers will tip. That is the long term solution.

5. There’s no need to tip

There’s no need to tip Active Member

Why do drivers constantly feel entitled to inject THEIR values into the Uber system? "It's a good passenger's responsibility to TIP unless there is an extremely good reason not to." That is YOUR view but obviously not the view of the service nor the passengers. Why do YOU need so much education on this topic? It is laid out plain and simple not to expect a tip with Uber. If you have EARNED that tip, then you most certainly deserve one. If you just provided the service Uber has sold to the passenger, according to their terms of service the rate taken from my credit card fully compensates the driver. If rates go up, so be it.

Jason Arroyo likes this.

6. scooterabc

scooterabc Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Because our customs and practices are dictated by the society in which we live. Tipping service providers, particularly car service providers, is a long standing tradition in the United States. But you live in Antarctica, so perhaps your society is different...

7. Uberduberdoo

Uberduberdoo Well-Known Member

Certainly not the fault nor the responsibility of the user. Just saying if the user knows the drivers compinsation has evolved to be questionable, by the way, to benifit the user, he or she just may want to kick in a few bucks. Maybe just be a nice person because you know the deal. Like the driver, pretty nice person, providing a ride for super cheap fares. Those cheap fares set by uber, not the driver. Yeah yeah, the driver agreed to do it, not riders problem bla bla bla. All the bull**** aside, just be a nice person, or dont. To each his own

8. There’s no need to tip

Yes, but it is NOT a long standing practice with Uber. It is actually, you know, the exact opposite. So you sign up for the service knowing that and then complain that it is set up like that? As many people have mentioned, LYFT is NOT set up that way. Why support a system that has values you don't approve of? It would be like a vegan working for Steve's House of Meat and then *****ing at the customers for ordering meat loaf.

ColdRider likes this.
  9. scooterabc

scooterabc Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Do you tip the maid when you stay in a Hotel / Motel? If so, then why?
    If you are going to drink the Uber Koolaid, by all means turn down tips and be happy with your < $1 per mile.

10. Greguzzi

Greguzzi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Don't waste your time with this cheap-ass clown. He is the voice of the skin-flint Ubernation. He is rider. Hear him roar.

11. There’s no need to tip

I don't tip them because I don't think they have done anything to EARN a tip. I leave my room in good condition.

12. Greguzzi

Driving:
    Lyft
    Lemme guess: You leave your plate in good condition at a restaurant, too, by licking it clean, and therefore there's no need to tip?

What a cartoon you are, Travis.

Uberduberdoo likes this.
  13. There’s no need to tip

I generally don't dine alone in a sit down restaurant. Believe me, if I could socially get away with not tipping in a restaurant I would. I have full faith in my position but it isn't worth the social flack to push the point. I can't wait for waiters to be replaced by automated systems.

14. Greguzzi

Driving:
    Lyft
    If you truly had full faith in your position, you would not let social pressure dissuade you from it. I imagine you can't wait for the day when you don't have to interact with any of your fellow human beings at all. Do you dream of electric sheep? Pine for a robotic bedslave with three inviting holes? Ah . . . the future belongs to the asocial.

15. There’s no need to tip

You are just being silly. My friends know my viewpoint on the issue, but I know that they will put in the difference if I don't, so if I want to keep going out with them I play it their way. I don't dine out all that often, so it isn't worth starting drama the times that I do. The interesting thing is, those same friends that wouldn't be happy if I didn't tip in a restaurant, don't tip maids in hotels and don't tip Uber (yes they know "tip is not included"). Not one of them. As so robotic bedslave, I say bring it on if it is anything lifelike! Why WOULDN'T you bang an android if one existed?

16. Greguzzi

Driving:
    Lyft
    The only positive thing I have to say in reply is that you and your friends seem well matched.

17. There’s no need to tip

Slowly we are making progress. More people than you think hold this view and it is only a matter of time until they break free and refuse to be sheep. You will see.

18. Greguzzi

Driving:
    Lyft
    No coarsening of American society surprises me anymore. I'm far more surprised when the opposite happens. The difference between us is that you cheer the coarsening, whereas I rue it.

And I was not paying a compliment by saying you and your friends seem well-matched. You all chicken out from carrying through with your convictions in the face of public social pressure only carrying through on those convictions when no one is watching.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  19. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Must be nice to be able to immediately quit and either not need another job or be able to find one right away.

Not everyone is in that position.

20. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think you've just confirmed my opinion of you is right on target.

That android will be too expensive for you. Not being a "high priced corporate lawyer" and all. Too bad. You'd be a perfect couple.