1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Tip is not required

Discussion in 'Tips' started by excel2345, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. excel2345

excel2345 Member

I wish that uber would either change the agreement or their language on their app for customers.
    In the agreement under payment it says tip not included while in their communication with riders it's
    tip is not required
    Of course a tip is not required, according to Websters it is
    "something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service;'"
    with their language it infers that any tip is included in the fare.

2. There’s no need to tip

There’s no need to tip Active Member

Tip not included is a pressuring statement to make you feel guilty into leaving a tip because it kind of IS required. The language they have now is VERY self-explanatory. The tip isn't required because it isn't expected as part of the Uber service and never was. That doesn't mean you can't leave one if you want. It isn't like it says tips are prohibited. I, for one, feel the language is perfect.

3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Well-Known Member

How about "Tips aren't required but if you want to reward your driver, go ahead!" But Uber would prefer to impoverish their workforce and be one of the most hated companies in the world.

4. There’s no need to tip

And who is forcing you, or anyone else for that matter, to drive for Uber? If Lyft or the other companies were so great why are we having this conversation? Like it or not Uber was started as a cashless tipless system. Many people in the general public found this refreshing as an escape from the nightmare tip culture this country has become. At some point you guys need to take responsibility for your own actions. You are big boys and girls and can CHOOSE to drive for Uber or not. Why strong-arm the customer to do something or feel guilty about something that was never originally intended yet you guys signed up and agreed to anyway? I say bravo to Uber for that stance and that language. If this isn't what the public wants, they won't survive.

ColdRider likes this.
  5. Lord Summerisle

Ah yes, here we go again, the hoary old "if you don't like it, just quit" argument. I like that one, it's a classic. Then again, it might just be disingenuous BS to avoid the real issue that Uber is a nasty petty-minded company that makes a policy and principle out of cheating its drivers out of well-deserved tips.

6. There’s no need to tip

I see you haven't responded to it with a valid counter argument though... I am not deflecting anything. I am being very up front with my position. I HATE tip culture. I think it has become seriously out of control in this country. I tip where I am expected to by society because I have no other choice in the matter. It isn't a cheapness thing. If my meal was $3 more expensive I would much rather that than the mess of a system we have now where I never know who gets a tip and who doesn't and the tip isn't reflected with good service it is just expected anyway. Uber created a company with a culture that is cashless and tipless and made that fact VERY clear yet all you guys decided to sign up anyway and then have sour grapes about it and take it out on the customer. If I wanted to participate in a tipping transportation service I would use Lyft or take a regular cab. I choose to use Uber because I like how it is run. I REFUSE to feel bad about using a service how it was originally intended. I'm sorry if it doesn't mesh with the rest of the ridiculous tip culture in this country but my answer to that is, don't drive for them then if you don't like the terms they offer.

7. Dar-K

Dar-K Active Member

Interesting member name... You originate that name to troll?
    Anyways, I liked Uber for some of the reason(s) that most people like to use it. I'm not a cash carrying person. I avoid bars that can't have a tab run and hate going to an ATM for cash prior to heading on out. With all that said, Uber provided that great option to pay by card. Unfortunately, the APP itself doesn't make it easy to apply tips through the system. Drivers could carry Square's, but that extends the drive, where I think its nice you come to your stop & roll out. --

Now, would you say no to tips if given? You make your stance clear, but I am curious on accepting tips.

If Driver's wanted to make more bank - sit offline longer & wait for the Surges. The more that do it, the faster the surges may occur. They may not last long, but, it makes the opportunity more worthwhile.

Casuale Haberdasher and Santa like this.
  8. mandreyka

mandreyka Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    TRAVIS??

9. There’s no need to tip

Hahaahah yeah I did pick that name for a reason but not to troll. I honestly believe in the position. It may not be a popular opinion around here but it is genuine for me. Here is my issue with Uber offering to modify the app to allow for tips. Societal pressure plain and simple. As I mentioned tip culture is out of control in this country. EVERYONE expects a tip for just doing their job. It is no longer a gratuity but an expectation. As of right now, the norm with Uber is NOT to tip and society finds that acceptable because that is how the system was set up. It was understood by both passenger and driver that is how it would be. If you start putting the tip "option" in there it changes the culture and then soon enough it will also be an expectation rather than a gratuity for exceptional above and beyond service for Uber. Hell, read all the posts from you guys on here. It is ALREADY like that in your minds. So while my posts might seem inflammatory, I am not trolling per se. I really do believe in the position I am stating.

10. Lord Summerisle

You like how Uber's run? This is a company that doesn't give a crap about its workforce, that has openly admitted it's looking forward to the day that its drivers are forced onto the scrapheap with driverless vehicles, that encourages its drivers to run their cars into the ground for less than minimum wage, that deactivates drivers when they don't accept profitless rides, that encourages riders to treat their drivers' personal vehicles with irresponsible disrespect, that has created a subclass of entitled passenger Neanderthals too selfish to even tip on a ride that gives the driver the princely sum of $2.40. Wow, Sir, I hereby present you with the Martin Shkreli Award for Corporate Sensitivity and Ethical Business Practices.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  11. There’s no need to tip

And STILL no actual response to my point. I get it, they pay you like ****. I'm sorry for that but why is that MY problem? Why is it MY problem that ALL OF YOU participate in a system that is so terrible like there is no alternative? Why should I be FORCED to provide you with a gratuity for doing the basic job? And when I say forced, I don't mean actually physically compelled. I mean why should it be seen as socially unacceptable for me not to provide a gratuity when none is deserved or earned? Uber's system was always cashless and tipless. THAT is the expectation. If the amount they pay is not deemed acceptable then do something about it. Stop driving for them, go to competitors such as Lyft, unionize. DON'T take it out on the guy who just wants to get across town at the agreed upon rate.

ksk2000 and hughesd22 like this.
  12. RoPaDriver

RoPaDriver Active Member

So, obviously we can see that you are a new member. So, before spouting off, you have a responsibility to do some homework. UBER was created to be a cashless system, it had NOTHING to do with not having to tip. In fact, the original language (over which UBER was sued) stated that "tip is included." Because of the lawsuit, they have had to change to language to now read "tip is not required." America is a tipping country, people are used to it. There would be nothing wrong (and it wouldn't take much effort on UBER's part) to add the tipping component to the app (like Lyft). That simple step alone would go miles in creating goodwill among the drivers, especially when in most cities, they keep lowering the rates to attract more passengers.

13. There’s no need to tip

Yes, they say tip is included BECAUSE IT IS.... It is included in the rate you are being paid by them. That is the whole point. It is a matter of semantics. Included, not required, whatever you want to call it. The point is, it was advertised as a cashless tipless system. You get in the car, you take your trip, you are done. You knew that, and I knew that. I don't particularly care if they call it a tip, a salary, or anything else. I, and all other uber passengers, signed up for a system where what you are paid is what you are paid unlike a restaurant situation. Why is that so hard to understand? My problem with allowing for an "optional" tipping option is that it will become an EXPECTATION and societal requirement just like every other tip based system we have in this country. I am sick of being pressured into **** I'm not sure I should even be paying. If the amount they are now giving you is too low, I understand that, but don't take that out on the passenger. I assume the amount you were getting before was so high BECAUSE "tip was included." I understand that Uber turned around and screwed the drivers and slashed rates but that isn't my problem. I know it is a cold opinion but it is the truth. I want to participate in a tipless system plain and simple. If you as a driver don't, then don't.

14. chi1cabby

chi1cabby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    I'm trying to get a feel for the basis of your strongly held " There’s no need to tipThere’s no need to tip " position:
    1. How old are you?
    2. What city do you live in?
    3. You're obviously not an Uber Driver, so what's your profession?

15. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

If you're fine with how uber operates wait until your safety and quality of drivers takes its toll. It's already happening. I hope you're around here a year from now. I'd like hear how your uber experience is then. I don't have an issue with tipping. I agree with you. I never expect it but I do expect uber to lower rates to 60 cents a mile eventually.

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  16. EcoboostMKS

EcoboostMKS Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    If uber wanted their riders to tip, there would be a tip option. It's not there for a reason. Uber is trying to create the anti-taxi way of doing business. They know cheap people don't like to tip, so that's the type of environment and people they're appealing to. Better cars than typical taxis for a fraction of the price and no cash needed, ever.

Don't expect this to ever change. At least not with uber.

wethepeople and Lord Summerisle like this.
  17. There’s no need to tip

1. 33
    2. New York
    3. Attorney (but not an excessively highly paid NYC corporate lawyer)

The basis of my position is this. I am sick and tired of wondering where I have to tip and where I don't. I am fed up with tip culture in general. People like you LOVE to say it is cheapness and other such inflammatory remarks like that because it sounds good for your position. I actually wouldn't mind if some things were a little bit more expensive and I didn't have to deal with the issue anymore. With that in mind, am I still cheap? Am I still a pig?

Gratuities used to be reserved for situations where someone in a service industry went above and beyond for you but it has now devolved into an expectation for basic service. I find tip culture silly and nonsensical. Why do I tip the steakhouse waiter 20% on my $500 bill and the Denny's guy 20% on my $5 burger. Why does the bellman get $5 from each person he brings the bags up for and the valet $2 for every car? Why do I NOT tip the McDonald's and Taco Bell guy, the office janitor, or other such positions? Why was I NOT tipping the coffee house guy before but now there are tip buckets everywhere? Was I &%$@!* for NOT tipping him BEFORE the tip bucket became common in EVERY SINGLE business? Things just make absolutely no sense and that is the frustration. Gratuities have nothing to do with the level of service anymore and have become a societal mandated fee. I know friends in restaurants that have had waiters that were completely inattentive, and sometimes even rude, but still felt compelled to leave a tip lest they be labeled a "&%$@!*." You say, "why not give the option to leave a tip." The reason is because it slowly becomes LESS of an option and more of an obligation. Take the coffee house example. Go on any barista forum and you will see that ANY person that doesn't tip is a &%$@!*. So now it is just expected when before there wasn't even an option to tip and no one had an issue. THAT right there is the problem. It is the attitude of the person getting the "gratuity" where once it was appreciated but now it is expected.

With that in mind, bring in Uber and my specific gripe with this whole issue. When Uber first came out it was advertised as a cashless tipless system. You pull up the app, you get in the car, you get out. No fuss, no tip, no nothing. THAT was the understanding between all parties involved. The drivers went into it knowing what they were getting, the passengers knew what they were paying. People take issue with the wording they use. Tips included, now tips not required. The language doesn't matter. The point was the fare covered the transaction and nothing additional was needed. People like me were happy to see a system like that. That is what we wish everything we dealt with in life was like. Now the ONE place that we had made progress is under attack. All these drivers that are unhappy with the current Uber arrangement are once again making us feel like dicks because we are using the system as it was intended. Why are WE the dicks? Why should WE leave Uber? The system was set up like this so why can't you just accept that or YOU move on to another service or find a different part time job? I understand that Uber might not pay what you are happy with but what about that makes it MY problem now? The drivers were happy with the rate as it was before Uber screwed them and took a larger cut. I'm not paying any less for the service than I was so why should I make up the difference by NOW offering a "gratuity" when none was ever part of the "social contract" for this service? The issue is, your problem is with Uber, NOT the passenger. I keep seeing comments about slave labor and this and that. Seriously? Where do you think half your clothes come from? Where do you think your precious iPhones come from? You do know people were committing suicide in that factory right? Stop acting all high and mighty only when it is an issue that affects you. This is far from slave labor and you all need to lay off the hyperbole.

ColdRider likes this.
  18. EcoboostMKS

EcoboostMKS Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Don't like the tip culture? Move to Europe. In America, we tip. The waitress that makes $4/hour needs tips to survive. The person that drives for $1/mile needs tips to survive.

Rationalize your cheapness however you want, but that's all your doing. Tipping people in the service industry is as American as apple pie.

Too cheap to tip? Don't use the service and do it yourself.

19. chi1cabby

chi1cabby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Thank you for your forthright response to my questions.
    Sorry, but I don't think I made any such statement, or make any presumptions about you.

But I won't be too far off the mark in saying that you're somewhat lacking in empathy.

20. There’s no need to tip

And here we go. Case in point. Completely ignore the issue and respond with an ad hominem attack. Slavery was also as American as apple pie. So was women having no rights.... Yep, guess things never change for the better huh...

ColdRider likes this.