1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Tesla predicts accident seconds before it happens.

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by RamzFanz, Dec 27, 2016.

1. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

SDC's time will definitely come, but for now that's still science fiction

2. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

2-3 years, so says almost the entire industry.

3. Jermin8r89

Jermin8r89 Active Member

Agenda 21

4. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Well-Known Member

Except for the head of R&D at Nissan

Nissan says driverless cars will never match human skills—so it's using humans to back them up.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/nissans-self-driving-teleoperation/

Alex Davies | Transportation | 01.05.17 | 7:00 pm

“This is it!” Maarten Sierhuis says. “I mean, look at this.” He points to a photo of road construction at an intersection in Sunnyvale, California, near Nissan’s Silicon Valley research center, which Sierhuis runs. A line of cones shunts traffic to the left side of the double yellow line. The light is red. A worker holds a “Slow” sign. It’s the sort of seemingly unremarkable situation that can trigger convulsions in the brain of an autonomous vehicle.

“There is so much cognition that you need here,” Sierhuis says. The driver—or the car—has to interpret the placement of the cones and the behavior of the human worker to understand that in this case, it’s OK to drive through a red light on the wrong side of the road. “This is not gonna happen in the next five to ten years.”

It’s a stunning admission, in its way: Nissan’s R&D chief believes the truly driverless car—something many carmakers and tech giants have promised to deliver within five years or fewer—is an unreachable short-term goal. Reality: one; robots: zero. Even a system that could handle 99 percent of driving situations will cause trouble for the company trying to promote, and make money off, the technology. “We will always need the human in the loop,” Sierhuis says.

But Nissan has a solution: a call center with human meatbags ready to take command via remote control.
    . . .​

5. WeirdBob

WeirdBob Well-Known Member

Except for the CEO of the Toyota Research Institute.

Automakers are slowing their self-driving car plans — and that could be a good thing

Danielle Muoio | Jan 8, 2017

http://www.businessinsider.com/self-driving-cars-not-feasible-in-5-years-automakers-say-2017-1

It was barely two years ago that self-driving car companies were putting forth a Utopian vision of driverless cars whizzing through streets allowing passengers to sleep in steering-wheel-less cars.
    . . .

But at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, Toyota pushed back on the idea that we are just a few years off from an autonomous reality.

"I need to make it perfectly clear, [full autonomy is] a wonderful, wonderful goal. But none of us in the automobile or IT industries are close to achieving true Level 5 autonomy. We are not even close," Gill Pratt, the CEO of the Toyota Research Institute, said at CES. Level 5 is an industry term for cars that are fully autonomous and do not require human supervision.
    . . .

But automakers are catching on to these risks and reacting accordingly. Toyota is exploring AI that can keep a driver engaged while autonomy is still in its relative infancy. Nissan is exploring using call centers so humans can remotely intervene when self-driving cars fail. Google is keeping driver controls.
    . . .

6. RamzFanz

Yet another outlier as an example. Oh, and one they are prepared to solve in the short term with a temporary solution, so it delays nothing. This scenario would require a signal from the car to a human that it needed assistance, a human negotiating the obstacle, and then all the other cars would follow suit.

OR

The construction company notifies a central control of the lane closure who notifies all SDCs. Issue solved before the cones even go up. They will know the path to take or avoid it altogether.

Again, not a roadblock.

I noticed you forgot this line: Knowing there’s a person, somewhere, ready to help if the technology falters, could accelerate the shift toward a mostly a human-light future.

You notice the headline says never and no one said never? Did you change it? Because that's not the actual headline. Why would you? Ohhhhh, never mind, I know why.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. RamzFanz

One man's opinion in the face of 20 major corporations predicting 2020 or sooner. Of course they'll have limitations at first. Did you think they wouldn't?

News flash: Level 5 is not needed to start taking our jobs en mass. The low hanging fruit is low speed urban cars, which is also the bulk of our work. Level 5 means they can go anywhere and do anything in reasonable conditions and at high speeds. It's just not necessary.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

A very similar incident happened to me.

I was in the left lane following Suburban in a 50mph zone when the Suburban suddenly jumps into the right lane. OH SH@#! It's a stopped car trying to make a left!

I slam on my brakes and horn "thinking maybe the stopped car can attempt to pull forward" but I'm too close. I take a nanosecond to see if I can jump in the right lane. I can't because I'm slowing down and there's traffic passing me on the right.

So, with not a second to lose before impact, I steer my car between the stopped vehicle and the traffic on the right, straddling the center of the road.

I was hoping the traffic on the right could see me and help compensate. I figured a side swipe would cause less damage than rear ending a stopped vehicle.

When I stopped the front of my vehicle was about 2 feet passed the rear of the stopped car and traffic on the right did compensate but not without horns blowing.

Teslas software during my incident would have prevented that close call. I'm sure it will save lifes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    RamzFanz likes this.