1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Surge exists to prevent strikes?

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Mears Troll Number 4, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    So an interesting theoretical i came up with...

If there was a theoretical strike, it would generate a surge, causing drivers to break the strike and work anyway?

Could one of... the "true" reasons for having the surge system in place being that it would automagically kill a strike?

Or am i looking too into this?

Lowestformofwit likes this.
  2. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

I doubt that strike prevention was ever considered whIle discussing surge but you're really not far off.

Surge is designed to bring get the offline drivers to login. So... i guess it's kind of the same thing

3. Karl Marx

Karl Marx Well-Known Member

Interesting theory and I'm sure would be an interesting study for an applied micro thesis. The number crunchers that do the statistical and exploratory data analysis all know they'll be putting themselves out of a job. Time series and number theory also an integral part of the Uber back office operations. The applied math behind Uber app is now past the point where learning algorithms will replace the math and systems design workers altogether. As we move ever close to Autonomous vehicles we'll also see fixed routes that will be indicative of fixed transit lines. People will go to predesignated virtual pickup points and dropped at predesignated stops. This virtual transit network will work with small and medium size vehicles that will also have dynamic pricing systems built into the modelling. Uber has large scale role outs over the next 2 years, Pittsburgh will be first. As neoliberalism accelerates this disintermediation we will also see many other applications that will fundamentally change every aspect of our dealings in many simple and complex transactions. Uber Pool is an experiment for now and more importantly you are building the applied data modelling for the learning algorithms. Welcome to Neoliberalism Pt II.

4. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Personally, i think that the self driving car is a delusion and people will have even less respect for a self driving car than they have for a taxi/uber car currently, that is to say not much.

People will treat the inside of a self driving uber like a bus-stop bench.

Am I going to carry in the trash from my McDonalds drive through all the way into my house or am just going to leave it in the uber for the next poor $*$* to deal with?

I think people have too high expectations of what self driving vehicles for hire will become, and just how important having a human in the car is for keeping a car clean/not a disgusting cesspool.

They will roll out in one city and i predict that their grand plan will crumble away as the futility of the entire idea will become apparent.

Lowestformofwit likes this.