1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

So much potential.

Discussion in 'Burlington' started by OutOfTowner, Dec 30, 2016.

1. OutOfTowner

OutOfTowner New Member

This is the third city I've drove in and money could be so much better here if the drivers would get on the same page. $1.15 a mile is a great rate compared to other cities but when everyone gathers up in one spot they are only preventing surges. Logged into the rider app last night to see where I should position myself and there were 5 cars stacked up in one block that would surely surge if you gave it the chance. Drivers, check your rider app, stay close but far enough away from the hot spots to allow them to surge, when an area starts surging, go offline and allow the surge to build. I don't take the 1.2x surges, I will go offline and allow it to build to at least 2.4x. I'll be out of here in February so it doesn't affect me much but you guys need to start a dialogue and start making some real money. There is no lyft here yet so the only competition you have are the local cab companies that the Millennials don't even know exist. I just found this site and I'm sure there's many drivers that also haven't seen it. If you meet another Uber driver, swap numbers, and get a game plan.

Attached Files:

Tourmaline likes this.
  2. suberoovt

suberoovt New Member

People seem to have A LOT of trouble with this. Unfortunately I don't think it's the people who are on this forum. I've noticed downtown they always seem to drive at one another making me think they never check the rider app, and at the airport there are several drivers who park where they're not allowed, I would assume to get rides ahead of others who actually follow the no parking signs. Airport drivers appear to be a couple men in their 50's in SUV's who I'm guessing don't use the rider app or forum either as they're sometimes parked right next to each other. Can't fix stupid!

3. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

The rate per mile sucks compared to when I started when it was $2 per mile. I need a 1.8x surge to break even with what the normal rate used to be.

4. OutOfTowner

OutOfTowner New Member

So the only thing you took from my statement was that $1.15/mile is better than $2/mile?? I meant that there are cities that get half that.

5. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

Settle down. That wasn't the only thing I took from your statement. Yes $1.15 is better than many other cities and you are right about drivers not allowing surges to ripen. The other issue is the surge system has changed from zones to the hexagon system which makes it even harder to nail a good one. The surge also responds and goes away quicker than it used to before hexagons.

Tourmaline likes this.

6. OutOfTowner

OutOfTowner New Member

I can't say that I wouldn't rather have $2/mile and zone surges but I have to think that the Uber execs know more than I do. Of course they are rider focused, that's where the money comes from, and Uber wants to make more money. Uber will not make more money if the drivers aren't making more money, plain and simple.

7. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

I actually scored 3 rides tonight LOL. This is truly a subsistence market at this point.

8. suberoovt

suberoovt New Member

At it again tonight! 6 cars right on top of one another! Really!?

Attached Files:

9. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

Lol I gave up after 2 rides this evening. Obviously they don't own the rider app.

10. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

I really hope nobody drives even close to full time in this market. If they are, they are probably depending on the Vermont Food Shelf to eat. This week I am at 25 bucks so far with 3 hours and 10 minutes online. That isn't just awful, that is horrendous. That is well under minimum wage after expenses.

Tourmaline likes this.
  11. Kdatti

Kdatti New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think it's because college is not in session right now. Once the students are back I'm hoping that it picks up some. Last couple of nights have been dreadful slow.

12. OutOfTowner

OutOfTowner New Member

I'm thinking that all the advertising before New Years has gotten a lot of new drivers on the road. This week has been terrible. If they're making as much as I am they will be quitting soon though, not worth it out her right now.

13. SaltyUber

SaltyUber Active Member

The vast majority of the rides come from where that clump of drivers are the you keep posting screen shots of... So drivers try to get as close to it as possible to "get in line" so to speak. It has always been that way in Burlington at least while I was there it was... It's much the same here in Portland maine... I for one try to get myself an area where I'm all alone but at closing time you have to go where the money is.
    I agree with you that drivers have no concept of "building" a surge but that is hardly a surprise as the demand in Burlington is so small that if you don't take the rides or go offline you miss the only time you can actually make money. It is much the same in Portland... Drivers that do this full time can't afford to try to make the surge grow when many just keep rolling

14. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

Yeah I understand that but it did seem in the summer and before drivers were letting surges build. Anyway it continues to be painfully slow and a grind out there. Best ride I got all week was a 1.8x this morning from Hotel VT to the airport lol. I wish I would get a bonus for my 1000th five star ride today and my rating going up to 4.86.

Tourmaline likes this.
  15. SaltyUber

SaltyUber Active Member

Congrats on the rating and 1000th ride.

I'm not sure about this summer as I've been in Maine for about a year at this point but when I was in Burlington surges were nearly nonexistent except at closing time on weekends, special events such as brewfest, holidays and big travel days for college kids... There would be a brief surge here And there otherwise but it would not last for more then a cycle or two of uber reloading.

16. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

Yeah the surges never lasted long but there was a good stretch there. I was scoring plenty of 2.5x or better. It is capped at 3.9x unless it is a special event like Halloween or New Years etc. Brewfest was a good money maker for sure as is the day UVM leaves for Thanksgiving. Last year pond hockey weekend was awesome as well.

17. Kdatti

Kdatti New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Do you know if anyone has made an independent Burlington Uber page on Facebook to educate people about Uber and promote the app? Half of the people that I talk to don't use uber because they didnt know about it. Once I tell them about it and send an invite code they get super excited. Yes there are a lot of drivers out but people need to know that they are going to get an awesome experience in an uber an not feel like they are riding with a sketchy regular cab driver. I've been marketing myself to EVERYONE everywhere I go to try and get more people excited and loyal to uber so there's a bigger rider pool.

18. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1702001090053987/

19. eyewall

eyewall Active Member

Well nevermind on the FB group. They were not exactly friendly. Anyway it seems to have picked up a little since the students came back but the driver saturation is still a problem. I did manage to pick up a 3.3x this morning but of course the ride was about 5 blocks. None the less it was nice to see an actual surge as brief as it was.

20. Tourmaline

Tourmaline New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I see that all the time... cars piled up within a few blocks