Uber Drivers Forum banner
181 - 200 of 221 Posts
I've always admired the British feature of national healthcare in which if your lifestyle choices have led to a specific ailment, no coverage for you. The intended purpose was to get people to stop smoking and stop getting so goddamn fat. So, been smoking for 20 years and now you need a lung replaced? Fine...you're paying for it. Been morbidly obese for 20 years and you've been eating ay Wimpy's (British burger chain) three times a week? Fine...you're on your own for your diabetes care and your by-pass surgery.
I eat properly. I exercise frequently. I don't drink. I don't smoke. It's not that goddamn hard to make healthy choices - although I should probably get more sleep. Regardless of the country's insurance structure, it just amazes me how many people sign up for the long, slow, suicide plan with the choices they make. And whether it's nationalized healthcare or private insurance, the healthy, conscientious, well-informed blokes like me will always end up subsidizing the lazy and the stupid.
If I saw a trend in this country where people, and politicians, would accept the rejection of coverage, I would have a different opinion. Until I see that political wind change, I stand opposed to national healthcare

Discussion starter · #182 ·
I've always admired the British feature of national healthcare in which if your lifestyle choices have led to a specific ailment, no coverage for you. The intended purpose was to get people to stop smoking and stop getting so goddamn fat. So, been smoking for 20 years and now you need a lung replaced? Fine...you're paying for it. Been morbidly obese for 20 years and you've been eating ay Wimpy's (British burger chain) three times a week? Fine...you're on your own for your diabetes care and your by-pass surgery.
I eat properly. I exercise frequently. I don't drink. I don't smoke. It's not that goddamn hard to make healthy choices - although I should probably get more sleep. Regardless of the country's insurance structure, it just amazes me how many people sign up for the long, slow, suicide plan with the choices they make.
If I saw a trend in this country where people, and politicians, would accept the rejection of coverage, I would have a different opinion. Until I see that political wind change, I stand opposed to national healthcare
It'll be here eventually in some form or another. However, the insurance lobby is currently the second most powerful lobby in D.C. so no real change or improvement is going to happen in your or my lifetime.

Problem #1 is to rely on what an uber employee tells you WHY WOULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK HE KNOWS WHAT HE`S TALKING ABOUT UBER PROTECTS IT`S OWN BEHIND THAT`S ALL THEY CARE ABOUT LET THEM PRODUCE UBERS INSURANCE POLICY THEN TAKE IT TO AN INSURANCE EXPERT AND THEN READ YOUR AGREEMENT WITH UBER AND THEN QUIT

After much pointless discussion on the earlier thread that was hijacked by a couple soreheads who think they know a whole lot more than they actually do, I am opening this new thread as a place to have a productive conversation on a well-researched, intelligently presented subject that we all should be concerned with. If you feel the need to insult, name-call, ridicule, jibe, nettle, cajole, or bullyrag, please login to the CNN forums and work through your demons there.
We have been told by a very vocal, very ill-informed minority that using the names of actual living human beings may be bad form on public forums like this one and that we should always use a nomme de plume. Therefore, let us accept that I had a wonderful conversation this morning with Mr. Chris Boedeker. Mr. Boedekeris the Senior Claims Manager at Uber.

Answered 1/5/2016 by Chris Boedeker, Senior Claims Manager at Uber. Telephone conversation with [Desert Driver]

Scenario
An Uber driver has a passenger in his car and is on a trip with the meter running. The Uber driver does NOT have commercial auto insurance and he is violating the livery business exclusion of his personal automobile policy by driving for Uber. The Uber driver then gets into an accident that is his fault. His car is severely damaged, the car he hit is severely damaged. Both the Uber driver and the Uber passenger are injured, as is the driver of the other car. Referring to the graphic on the Uber insurance page, this scenario takes place entirely in Period 3. See graphic at http://blog.uber.com/ridesharinginsurance

Questions:
1) Who pays for the Uber driver's and Uber passenger's medical care?
Uber's Rasier liability insurance policy will cover the injured Uber passenger. The Uber driver's medical claim will not be covered by Uber's Rasier insurance liability or collision policy. And since the driver does not have a commercial insurance policy of any sort on his/her automobile, the Uber driver's personal automobile policy will not be applicable here either as the Uber driver is violating the livery exclusion of his/her personal automobile insurance policy. In the event that an Uber driver is injured in a crash that is his/her fault while driving for Uber with a passenger in the car, the only medical insurance coverage that applies in this scenario is the driver's health insurance coverage. If the driver has no healthcare insurance coverage, which is a violation of the Affordable Care Act, the driver will be responsible for his/her medical expenses out-of-pocket.

2) Who pays for the other driver's medical care?
The Uber Rasier liability insurance policy is the primary insurer, so the driver of the other car and his/her passengers will make his/her medical claim against Uber. The Uber driver's personal policy will not be employed to cover the medical claims of the not-at-fault driver and the occupants of that driver's automobile.

3) Who pays for the repairs or replacement of the Uber driver's car?
Uber expects the driver to first make the property claim against his/her personal automobile policy. Uber understands that most personal automobile insurance carriers will deny the claim. Uber also understands that many personal automobile insurance carriers will cancel the policy in this scenario. After the driver's personal automobile insurance carrier denies the claim, Uber's contingent collision coverage will cover the property claim with a $1000 deductible.

Although Uber is aware that most drivers will likely have their personal automobile policy canceled in this scenario, Uber is not currently offering to assist drivers find other automobile insurance coverage.

4) Who pays for the repairs or replacement of the other driver's car?
Uber's Rasier liability insurance policy does.

As we wound up our conversation, we agreed on some simple best practices until the automobile insurance industry figures out how to insure TNC drivers.
  • Be really careful out there.
  • Don't even think about driving for a TNC if you do not have adequate healthcare insurance. (Remember, failing to carry healthcare insurance on yourself is a violation of the ACA.)
  • Check your insurance policy and make sure you understand whether or not your policy has a livery exclusion.
  • Don't volunteer to your automobile insurance carrier that you are driving for a TNC. However, if your insurance carrier asks if you are driving for a TNC, you better be honest, even if it means having your policy canceled.
  • If all you carry is liability insurance on your automobile, don't even think about driving for Uber. Uber will NOT extend collision and comprehensive to your automobile if you do not carry collision and comprehensive on your personal policy.
  • At the rate TNCs are gaining popularity, the automobile insurance industry is going to have to figure this out sooner as opposed to later. Keep abreast of news and developments in the automobile insurance arena
  • Never pick up a rogue fare. Doing so means you have ZERO insurance coverage anywhere.
  • Do not end the trip until all passengers and their belongings are out of your car and all doors are closed and locked.
I hope you find this information as helpful and informative as I did. I have to say I was pleased and impressed when Mr. Boedeker rang me up on my cell phone in response to the questions I posed on the Uber support E-mail page. Mr. Boedeker was friendly, professional, articulate, and a genuinely pleasant man. I would rate my interaction with him five stars.
The average life of an Uber Driver is shrinking with every rate cut. I imagine the average life of an Uberer on UPFN is much shorter. Your post should be started fresh at least once a month for new people. Excellent! :)

After much pointless discussion on the earlier thread that was hijacked by a couple soreheads who think they know a whole lot more than they actually do, I am opening this new thread as a place to have a productive conversation on a well-researched, intelligently presented subject that we all should be concerned with. If you feel the need to insult, name-call, ridicule, jibe, nettle, cajole, or bullyrag, please login to the CNN forums and work through your demons there.
We have been told by a very vocal, very ill-informed minority that using the names of actual living human beings may be bad form on public forums like this one and that we should always use a nomme de plume. Therefore, let us accept that I had a wonderful conversation this morning with Mr. Chris Boedeker. Mr. Boedekeris the Senior Claims Manager at Uber.

Answered 1/5/2016 by Chris Boedeker, Senior Claims Manager at Uber. Telephone conversation with [Desert Driver]

Scenario
An Uber driver has a passenger in his car and is on a trip with the meter running. The Uber driver does NOT have commercial auto insurance and he is violating the livery business exclusion of his personal automobile policy by driving for Uber. The Uber driver then gets into an accident that is his fault. His car is severely damaged, the car he hit is severely damaged. Both the Uber driver and the Uber passenger are injured, as is the driver of the other car. Referring to the graphic on the Uber insurance page, this scenario takes place entirely in Period 3. See graphic at http://blog.uber.com/ridesharinginsurance

Questions:
1) Who pays for the Uber driver's and Uber passenger's medical care?
Uber's Rasier liability insurance policy will cover the injured Uber passenger. The Uber driver's medical claim will not be covered by Uber's Rasier insurance liability or collision policy. And since the driver does not have a commercial insurance policy of any sort on his/her automobile, the Uber driver's personal automobile policy will not be applicable here either as the Uber driver is violating the livery exclusion of his/her personal automobile insurance policy. In the event that an Uber driver is injured in a crash that is his/her fault while driving for Uber with a passenger in the car, the only medical insurance coverage that applies in this scenario is the driver's health insurance coverage. If the driver has no healthcare insurance coverage, which is a violation of the Affordable Care Act, the driver will be responsible for his/her medical expenses out-of-pocket.

2) Who pays for the other driver's medical care?
The Uber Rasier liability insurance policy is the primary insurer, so the driver of the other car and his/her passengers will make his/her medical claim against Uber. The Uber driver's personal policy will not be employed to cover the medical claims of the not-at-fault driver and the occupants of that driver's automobile.

3) Who pays for the repairs or replacement of the Uber driver's car?
Uber expects the driver to first make the property claim against his/her personal automobile policy. Uber understands that most personal automobile insurance carriers will deny the claim. Uber also understands that many personal automobile insurance carriers will cancel the policy in this scenario. After the driver's personal automobile insurance carrier denies the claim, Uber's contingent collision coverage will cover the property claim with a $1000 deductible.

Although Uber is aware that most drivers will likely have their personal automobile policy canceled in this scenario, Uber is not currently offering to assist drivers find other automobile insurance coverage.

4) Who pays for the repairs or replacement of the other driver's car?
Uber's Rasier liability insurance policy does.

As we wound up our conversation, we agreed on some simple best practices until the automobile insurance industry figures out how to insure TNC drivers.
  • Be really careful out there.
  • Don't even think about driving for a TNC if you do not have adequate healthcare insurance. (Remember, failing to carry healthcare insurance on yourself is a violation of the ACA.)
  • Check your insurance policy and make sure you understand whether or not your policy has a livery exclusion.
  • Don't volunteer to your automobile insurance carrier that you are driving for a TNC. However, if your insurance carrier asks if you are driving for a TNC, you better be honest, even if it means having your policy canceled.
  • If all you carry is liability insurance on your automobile, don't even think about driving for Uber. Uber will NOT extend collision and comprehensive to your automobile if you do not carry collision and comprehensive on your personal policy.
  • At the rate TNCs are gaining popularity, the automobile insurance industry is going to have to figure this out sooner as opposed to later. Keep abreast of news and developments in the automobile insurance arena
  • Never pick up a rogue fare. Doing so means you have ZERO insurance coverage anywhere.
  • Do not end the trip until all passengers and their belongings are out of your car and all doors are closed and locked.
I hope you find this information as helpful and informative as I did. I have to say I was pleased and impressed when Mr. Boedeker rang me up on my cell phone in response to the questions I posed on the Uber support E-mail page. Mr. Boedeker was friendly, professional, articulate, and a genuinely pleasant man. I would rate my interaction with him five stars.
He would be the first Uber Corporate entity to have explained this with such clarity, however, basically making a mockery of Uber's claims to those driving and signing up to drive that it is OK to use your personal insurance and your personal license tag and leaving you to find the consequences thereof.
I have been driving for Uber for nearly 10 months and quickly found it behooved me to get commercial insurance, a For Hire tag and my own $1.5m liability policy. I was surprised to find that although more costly than driving the slippery slope that Uber sanctions, it is not that much more than my old personal insurance. I also found that I do not pay the $1/ride "safety scam" any longer as a commercial driver. Add that to the peace of mind that I am driving legally and without fear of my insurance being cut out from under me and I am happy driving for Uber. Yes, I am remaining profitable as an Independent contractor driving part time as a retirement job.

It's never ok to lie (unless you're a Patriots fan, never admit that). I'm not saying to lie about anything. In the scenario I mentioned above, I never said to lie. I just said why would you bring up Uber to the cop or your insurance company if you didn't have to. Kind of like when you get in an accident and don't admit fault even if you knew it was your fault. why would you ever volunteer information that you don't have to?
Good Point! Most insurance companies instruct their insured's to "never admit fault" when exchanging info at a crash scene with other driver. Just exchange info and move on...

The average life of an Uber Driver is shrinking with every rate cut. I imagine the average life of an Uberer on UPFN is much shorter. Your post should be started fresh at least once a month for new people. Excellent! :)
POST # 191/@UberRediculous: Bison's ex-
amination of Notables
Page makes Obvious that You'll be Waiting
at LEAST a week for "Wile E. Coyote"'s
next Thread/Post/peep.

Apparently his Penchant for "destroying"*
Opposing Members has Exceeded the
Forum Management's Tolerance. A VERY
Sad Day in that Notable Lidman and
Well-Known Adelaide, South Australians
unter ling and
suewho are MIA as
well. Since this is Lidman 's 2nd Ban,
his Release likely will not be before the
11th of July.

*:https://uberpeople.net/posts/231332

Upset Bison, frustrated.

181 - 200 of 221 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.