1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Reporter looking for Uber Black drivers struggling to make car payments

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by Caroline O'Donovan, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Caroline O'Donovan

Caroline O'Donovan Member

Hi all —

I'm a reporter with BuzzFeed News working on a story about Uber. Some of you may have seen a post by my colleague Johana a few weeks back regarding Uber Black. We are still looking to talk with Uber Black drivers who are struggling to make ends meet by driving a luxury vehicle on the Uber platform.

Specifically, if you've been pushed to drive UberX with a Black car, I'd love to speak with you. You can reach me at caroline period odonovan at buzzfeed period com, or DM me here.

Thanks!
    Caroline

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    zetetic and Uberchampion like this.
  2. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Not an Uber Black driver but thanks for all the good work BuzzFeed has done to expose Uber for what it is.

Shangsta, The Mollusk, Ms.Doe and 3 others like this.
  3. Uberchampion

Uberchampion Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Man..when I read your thread title I seriously was curious as to why Black drivers would have more issues making payments than Indian, Chinese or Caucasian drivers.....lol
    Caroline O'DonovanCaroline O'Donovan

You may want to change the title to say "Uber Black Drivers"

P.s Don't buy a car for Uber.

P.s.s look into doing an article on singles using Uber pool to hook up.

4. Beur

Beur Well-Known Member

Why are you ignoring drivers of other ethnicities, I'm sure there are a few having trouble struggling to make car payments.

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. Caroline O'Donovan

Hi! I meant Uber Black drivers. Not referencing race at all.

Uberchampion and tohunt4me like this.

6. Caroline O'Donovan

Sorry for the confusion!

Would love to hear more about the Uber Pool angle. Can you send an email? Caroline.odonovan@buzzfeed.com. Thanks!

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. Caroline O'Donovan

Hi all —

I'm a reporter with BuzzFeed News working on a story about Uber. Some of you may have seen a post by my colleague Johana a few weeks back regarding Uber Black. We are still looking to talk with Black drivers who are struggling to make ends meet by driving a luxury vehicle on the Uber platform.

Specifically, if you've been pushed to drive UberX with a Black car, I'd love to speak with you. You can reach me at caroline period odonovan at buzzfeed period com, or DM me here.

Thanks!
    Caroline

8. Caroline O'Donovan

Hi all —

I'm a reporter with BuzzFeed News working on a story about Uber. Some of you may have seen a post by my colleague Johana a few weeks back regarding Uber Black. We are still looking to talk with Black drivers who are struggling to make ends meet by driving a luxury vehicle on the Uber platform.

Thanks!
    Caroline

PS this is a repost bc my original post confused some folks :)

tohunt4me likes this.
  9. ABC123DEF

ABC123DEF Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Black car drivers tend to have a lot more business sense and dignity than many of the rest of us. Many of them will sell or surrender their cars or move on to other things if there's no money in it for them.

10. Beur

Beur Well-Known Member

Maybe you should edit your title.

11. Santa

Santa Well-Known Member

Uber X drivers who have leased/finance vehicles are losing big as well. If you put the little guy in the front first then the big guy aka the Uber Black/SUV (even though those poor saps are in the same category as the X but nobody outside the Uber Drivers know that), the news will spread even quicker and further.

*******Also why aren't any of you Not mentioning the low rates and the TIP is NOT included in the fare. And that everyone should TIP because they'll still be saving money even if they tip, which they should Tip.

tohunt4me and KekeLo like this.
  12. Caroline O'Donovan

Hi! Thanks for your response. Can you explain what you mean by "(even though those poor saps are in the same category as the X but nobody outside the Uber Drivers know that)" – seems interesting.

Thanks!

tohunt4me likes this.
  13. Santa

Santa Well-Known Member

They are both losing money instead of making with all the expenses that incur with driving their vehicles. I.E. gas, maintenance such as oil changes, brake changes, tire maintenance such replacing or fixing punctured tires (I've spent a lot of money on fixing punctured tires and replacing tires, because with lots of driving on crappy city roads and streets and alleys). And much more.

Black cars/SUVs also need to obtain a limo license which can cost up to $2,000 and they have to have commercial insurance.

You'll see a lot of drivers on all platforms with brand new or newer cars on the road who don't realize that they are losing money instead of making. The reason is many of them don't have access to forums such as UP, etc because they are either just lazy or don't know such platforms exist.

***** Most of these people were sold the lies of making it big driving for Uber. Craigslist, kijiji and other classified ads are full of Uber's lies which are luring drivers in. Some quit when they find out that it's a lie, others get stuck because they bought/financed/leased vehicles for Uber.
    There are also drivers who have no other choice but to drive for Uber because they don't have any other job or can't find another job. So they struggle till they find a better job but at the meantime they have to provide for their families.

Uber knows that and they take advantage of these people who are down on their luck.

If there are any spelling mistakes then my apologies as I'm using the swipe function on my Android phone. :)

14. 14gIV

14gIV Well-Known Member

what about UberPuppy...dont forget to mention uberPuppy on the news!

tohunt4me, LGC and KekeLo like this.
  15. everythingsuber

everythingsuber Well-Known Member

Mass killings sexual assaults drivers shafted ....but look we have puppies :)

16. CIncinnatiDriver

CIncinnatiDriver Active Member

Uber has many predatory tactics.
    Here's a good one
    I met another driver in my city a few weeks ago.

A year ago or something, Uber was all the rage, and earnings were like three times as much as now. Uber had marketed the "make $90,000 a year" BS, and at some point they were helping people buy cars to drive Uber.

So, he bought a car and quit his job as a warehouse manager, he was making such big bucks with Uber.

Then Uber did the good old bait and switch, dropped the rates progressively until the current 1/3 rates.

He's screwed and can't get his old job back.

Uber gave the impression he'd be driving for Uber... Nope, he's driving for the Pax but Uber can change the wages and set the. below minimum....which they did.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2016
    tohunt4me and Santa like this.
  17. Caroline O'Donovan

That's a sad story. If you know how I could get directly in touch with him, I'd love to hear more!

tohunt4me likes this.
  18. CIncinnatiDriver

CIncinnatiDriver Active Member

I'll see what I can do. I have an acquaintances number.

19. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    $700 a month + $400 commercial insurance. Between uber, limo services, & private fares... you clear that pretty fast.

The real story is the uber lease schemes. $600 - 1200/ month for regular cars.

20. Lnsky

Lnsky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the coverage. I don't drive Black but I've received emails from Uber that target X drivers with older cars asking them to upgrade to a new luxury vehicle via their shady loan partner under the guise of making more money. But the truth is that the demand just isn't there in my market to support the luxury drivers we already have.

The thought of someone falling for this scam made me sick to my stomach.