1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Refused to drive police officer because he had a gun.

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by simpsonsverytall, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Sacto Burbs

Sacto Burbs Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    And children ended up dead. From gunshot wounds. My dad killed his own well loved hunting dog when he was a kid when he went hunting and thought the motion in the woods was a squirrel.

There is a reason we take matches away from children. People die. Usually family members. You seem to have fallen for the fallacy that no one got shot or died when kids had guns.

Dead people. Dead children. By loaded guns - in the home.

2. Mattio41

Mattio41 Well-Known Member

I lived in those times. As kids, we use to take our plinkers and ride with them on our bikes down into the woods to go plinking. And no, I have not fallen for it, but at the same time, I can appreciate how others feel and am conscious about it. Over all, I do believe we agree on everything in principle, maybe just not everything in execution. but that is alright.

Blackout 702 likes this.
  3. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

A lot of the time police do morally virtuous things like save your donkey.

Sometimes though, the law requires them to confiscate your donkey and euthanize it.

Is an officer virtuous merely by his profession? That question is essentially the same as asking if the law is just, and if the government is good. Some things the government does are good, some things are bad.

Personally I would never expect an officer to be quick enough to the scene to save me from a robbery or an assault. When seconds count, the police are minutes away... most of the time. Some guys get lucky, but personally I'd rather have my own sidearm than have to prey for a cop to come from nearby to use his to save me.

I've only ever carried a pistol, but I think the guys with rifles are still good guys.

If there was another ISIS attack like in San Bernardino or Paris, the guys with the rifles would be welcome. One problem is that the government has restricted armor piercing handgun ammunition so the only guns people have any more that can reliably penetrate armor is going to be a rifle. Armor is increasingly prolific too. You can buy a vest that stops pistol bullets online easily for like $300.

Most of the guys who were carrying rifles in the media lately were doing so as a protest of laws that also forbade the carrying of handguns. For instance, in Texas the law only allows you to carry a rifle until you are 21, and also in Texas they only allowed rifles in plain sight but handguns had to be hidden. They legalized open carrying handguns now but one of the reasons the issue got so much attention was that people who wanted to be allowed handguns were open carrying rifles to protest the handgun ban.

The NRA compromises way too much. I know many gun owners that feel that way. However, the NRA strongly believes in people defending their homes with guns.

The problem with most "sensible" laws you speak of is that they actually don't make any sense at all. They are usually knee jerk reactions to the latest tragedy in the news because "we have to do something" or to "send a message" but these laws don't actually usually accomplish much but causing more people to be less able to defend themselves and maybe filling our jails with gun owners who committed technical violations. Most gun owners also have a limit to the laws they will follow, contrary to the "law-abiding-citizen" image that the NRA puts forth. When most gun owners won't comply with gun bans, I think it is funny that people think murderers will.

For instance, check out this poll on Nevada shooters. Out of 50 people, only 1 person said they would comply with a magazine capacity restriction: http://www.nevadashooters.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=200 (Usually these laws require dimples in the sides of mags to limit mag capacity, but anyone with a brain can cut the dimples out or buy a mag out of state)

What makes us safer? Law enforcement using their resources to track down robbers and murderers and filling our jails with those folks? Or law enforcement searching people for 11 round mags and filling our jails with those folks?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Bo Duke, Xanvel and Blackout 702 like this.
  4. Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    The Dallas soothing if Police Officers was not a gun-free zone. Care to amend your post to it is accurate?

5. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

Not all shootings happen in gun free zones. But the results can be a lot different.

Compare a mass shooting in a Nevada alcohol establishment where carry is allowed to a Florida alcohol establishment where carry is banned which was the worst mass shooting in US history (and still less people died than from a Truck attack in paris)

In Winnemucca, Nevada, a CCW permit holder shot the mass shooter. The killer killed 2 people before being killed by the citizen.

In Orlando, Florida, the nightclub was a disarmed victim zone. 49 people were murdered.

Here is an article that talks about mass shootings stopped by CCW holders.

http://concealednation.org/2015/10/here-are-5-times-concealed-carriers-have-stopped-mass-shootings/

#1 on the list is the Winnemucca incident.
    #2 on the list was when an Uber driver stopped a mass shooting in Chicago, which was the incident that prompted Uber to ban guns for drivers. (AFTER Uber banned drivers from carrying was when an Uber driver went on a rampage: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/ )

The fact of the matter is, when armed citizens intervene in mass shootings, a lot less people die.

A shootout is always better than an execution.

Bo Duke and Blackout 702 like this.

6. Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    Your kid did not go to neighbours house and get shot when the neighbour kid got out Mommy's gun she kept for "safety" - loaded.

You did not have a neighbour who had a gun, but did not carry it around the house loaded, but went out to turn off the sprinklers at 10 pm and got jumped by three guys in ski masks who put a gun to his head, put his wife and kid and himself in a room and ransacked his house.

Guns do not keep you safe.

7. georgiahomeboy

georgiahomeboy New Member

why would u refuse? whats wrong with some of you drivers? idiots

8. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

Dead people. Dead children. In the malls and schools and shopping centers and churches and movie theaters and streets and parking lots - because a good guy with a gun wasn't there to protect them, because people like you want them to be defenseless victims. Thanks.

9. Mattio41

For those who don't know, this is actually a very true statement.

Bo Duke and Xanvel like this.
  10. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple of plain clothes cops once -- at least they claimed to be, and their conversation was very cop-like. If they were armed, they were carrying concealed, but it never even occurred to me that I could refuse them for being armed.

11. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

Mom could have carried the gun on her person if she wanted it to be ready but secure from kids, and should have taught her kids gun safety. A quick access safe with a loaded gun in it would probably be too slow to be useful unless she reinforced the door jambs and used 3M burglar resistant tape on the windows, but still makes a lot more sense then you guys saying we should be forced to have unloaded guns.

There are also kids who used guns to shoot people who broke into their houses. Some of those kids would not be alive today if kids were banned guns. http://thegrio.com/2015/08/21/teen-boy-saves-siblings-home-invasion/
    http://www.ksla.com/story/10741492/child-shoots-intruder-during-home-break-in

Neighbor guy should have carried the gun around his house loaded. A gun won't be useful for defense if it is unloaded, or if it is in your drawer or safe and you need it in your hand.

12. Mattio41

Actually, we were taught about firearm safety and to respect firearms. We had police come to our schools and scout meetings. We had parents that taught us at an early age. Firearms were not demonized and abused they way they are now in certain cultures and elements.

Yes, I have fired my firearm in self defense before inside of my home. Yes, I do know someone who was held at gunpoint. But that is alright, you have your view and the bubble that you live in. Not everybody gets to live in your same bubble...

[​IMG]

Bo Duke, Xanvel and jester121 like this.
  13. Blackout 702

You just gave two perfect examples of how guns would have saved someone if they had been properly carried by the owners!

14. Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    Comparing bar-to-bar is a specious correlation. As expected by your quoted source.

How did these "good" citizens get a gun in the first place and then use it to kill people. ONLY 3 people died?

Real life is the gal who was murdered by a psyco who would not have passed a background check but the Feds are only give 3 days to do the check and after that the gun dealer can sell to anyone - known criminal or psyco.

Reality is not on propaganda sites, it is in your local murder report.

15. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

No,common sense keeps you safe.
    A gun is a tool.
    If you use a power saw wrong,or leave it plugged in around kids,bad things can happen.
    A maniac with a power saw can cut up a room full of people.
    Should we ban everything but Manuel handsaws for safety?
    Perhaps we should limit the amount of cuts you can make with a battery operated power saw before batteries need changing ?
    No one needs more than 7 cuts per a battery ?
    Ban " High Capacity" Batteries ?
    More children have been injured and killed by contents of hot pots on stoves. Education is key,not banning stoves.

Xanvel and Blackout 702 like this.
  16. Sacto Burbs

Driving:
    UberX
    My Dad owned his own gun.

You wanted my Neighbor to carry his loaded gun inside and outside his own house 24/7. If he had, he would have no time to draw it when he got grabbed as the bad guys and their gun was already at his head. Instead no one died. And no one got shot.

His gun did not protect him or his family.

17. Mattio41

And here is real life right back at you. How about the woman who was stabbed to death in New Jersey by her Ex-Boyfriend. She had a restraining order against him, but that is just a piece of paper. She had applied for a permit to "Own" a firearm, but the local authorities had still not processed her paperwork after 45 days, forgetting even the fact of a permit to carry one.

Her name was Carol Bowne!!!

[​IMG]

18. Trafficat

Trafficat Active Member

Comparing a bar shooting where an armed citizen stopped it to one where an armed citizen did not stop it is a specious example?

Yes, 3 people died. One of the 3 was the shooter. But if you had your way it could have been 49 plus the shooter like what happened in the other bar where nobody was allowed to carry.

Guns are super easy to get. You can buy a gun from a store, from a guy on armslist.com, and even from most drug dealers. The guns that drug dealers supply are often stolen, but are sometimes also illegally imported or manufactured. Guys in Pakistan at the Khyber Pass make guns with simple hand tools and lathes and those guns are often quality replicas of guns made with CNC machines in other countries. People in America often even own their own personal CNC machines. You can find directions on how to make a submachinegun with sheet metal and plumping components if you google it. You can even 3D print a gun. In other countries criminal manufacture or import of guns is more common because it is harder to buy legally. But what is better? A criminal buys a gun from a gun store, paying local taxes in the process? Or a criminal buys a gun that was stolen from someone, fueling burglary, or buys a gun from black market tradesmen who are often members of violent gangs?

The war on drugs is a failure. Police have been unable to stop the proliferation of drugs, even though drugs often require sophisticated facilities to produce, sunlight to grow, and can easily be detected by drug dogs.

Guns on the other hand can be made underground and don't smell any different than normal machine parts until they are fired. Illegal arms manufacture is easy as pie to do compared to drugs. Even in Nazi occupied Poland where Gestapo didn't even need a warrant to do a search, the resistance made submachineguns under their noses.

Stopping people from getting guns is a pipe dream, and it works as well as prohibition of alcohol did before and the drug war does now.

Bo Duke, Xanvel and Blackout 702 like this.
  19. LASAC_BER

LASAC_BER Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That's not what the statistic is proving - rather, that extremely liberal areas that promote the strictest firearm laws, are actually home to the most dangerous people. Look at the political stance of the families of gun violence perpetrators.

*spouting, btw.

20. Blackout 702

You have no idea if that is true. You are making up a hypothetical situation and then saying how it would have played out.

Wow, too bad she wasn't able to have a gun to protect herself.